Looking for my next rifle caliber

Flyjunky

WKR
My opinion, fwiw, a 7mm shooting the 180 isn’t that much of a difference between the 6.5prc shooting a 147 or 156.

If you want to take a step up, make it a noticeable step. I’d go with some type of 300 shooting a 215/230/240.

Reactions: bwp

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My opinion, fwiw, a 7mm shooting the 180 isn’t that much of a difference between the 6.5prc shooting a 147 or 156.

If you want to take a step up, make it a noticeable step. I’d go with some type of 300 shooting a 215/230/240.
I agree that is is not much of a practical difference. I shoot a 25 mag with 133s, and the ballistics pretty well match my 7mm with 180s. And, with a 5” shorter barrel.

IMO, he wants another larger, it still makes little sense to accept the unnecessary recoil, so the 7mm.

But, if he wants a big one, 300 prc it is.

rootacres

WKR
The 6.5 will be a great deer and smaller caliber. If you're going to build an elk/moose rifle then Id jump over the 7 and go straight to a 30. I think the 300 WSM is a great option. You can build out a WSM to be very comfortable to lay down behind. You can push that 180 class bullet around 3k fps. Thats more than enough for elk and moose.

On a different note. There is loads of evidence coming out challenging the conventional thought process on needing a big, heavy, high recoiling cartridge to be sufficient on larger big game. Id shoot a 156 Berger or 147 ELDM out of that 6.5 PRC and get something smaller if you're itching for a new rifle.

I owned a custom 300 PRC and custom 7 SAUM. I never took the PRC into the field because of what I saw the SAUM doing internally to everything I shot with it. I sold the PRC and built out a 6.5 creed to use for NRL hunter and maybe a pronghorn hunt.

OP
bwp

bwp

Lil-Rokslider
The 6.5 will be a great deer and smaller caliber. If you're going to build an elk/moose rifle then Id jump over the 7 and go straight to a 30. I think the 300 WSM is a great option. You can build out a WSM to be very comfortable to lay down behind. You can push that 180 class bullet around 3k fps. Thats more than enough for elk and moose.

On a different note. There is loads of evidence coming out challenging the conventional thought process on needing a big, heavy, high recoiling cartridge to be sufficient on larger big game. Id shoot a 156 Berger or 147 ELDM out of that 6.5 PRC and get something smaller if you're itching for a new rifle.

I owned a custom 300 PRC and custom 7 SAUM. I never took the PRC into the field because of what I saw the SAUM doing internally to everything I shot with it. I sold the PRC and built out a 6.5 creed to use for NRL hunter and maybe a pronghorn hunt.
I am itching for a new rifle. I’ve got a 22lr, AR in 5.56, 6CM, and 6.5prc. Only gap to fill for fun would be between the 5.56 and 6CM I think

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Do you have a smaller rifle yet? Like a bolt 6 or a bolt 22 of some flavor? I wouldn't want to hunt with anything larger than a 6.5PRC for game within 600 yards.

-J

OP
bwp

bwp

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a smaller rifle yet? Like a bolt 6 or a bolt 22 of some flavor? I wouldn't want to hunt with anything larger than a 6.5PRC for game within 600 yards.

-J
Yes. Bolt and semi 22lr, AR 5.56, bolt 6CM.