Looking for my first hunting rifle!

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
After hanging out with Patrick, James and Dan I've decided to buy a rifle!!

Keep in mind the last thing breathing that I've shot was on two feet and know next to nothing about ballistics or anything else. I'm going off of what these guys have told me.

So, I'm in need of a somewhat lightweight mountain gun....

I'm hoping to find a 300 Weatherby, 300 RUM, 300 WSM or 7mm RUM.

Would prefer no muzzle break as I am def already:)

Let me know if anyone has something like this they are wanting to sell.

Thanks guys!

shaun

WKR
I got a beautiful stainless 300 wsm Remington 700 I am tossing around selling. I can email u pics and info if you want.

Jdog

WKR
Aron - couple things to consider...ammo for 300 Wby, 300 RUM can sometimes be difficult to find and pricey.

I would consider a cartridge that is more readily available at normal stores if you are ever in a pinch and need ammo--ie, you are on trip and luggage is lost and now you need to quickly go buy ammo.

I would suggest the 300 win mag...big and powerful enough to kill just about everything in North America. Flexible in ammo selection and very EASY to find and just about any store that carries ammo.

I am not sold on the WSMs but that is just personal preference...there is not much if anything gained from the 300 WSM vs the 300 win mag.

Caliber is alot of personal preference...DEAD is DEAD not matter how you slap it.

hunting1

WKR
Aron, I will go along with Jdog or go 300WM. There are so many reasons, but you will not regret it. I like the Savage 116 Bear Hunter (mine is the predecessor or FHSAK) it isn't the prettiest, but DANG it makes little clover holes. Remingtons are sexxier, but need work to make them shoot (atleast mine do). Lastly, buy the best glass you can. I am a Leupold whore, but get good glass!

.300 wm vs .300 wsm is preference. Short or long action. Either bullet kills.
I prefer short actions, have a wsm and still want a RUM but that is probably just the collector in me.

landont20

FNG
Aron,

You may want to take a look at the Savage 11/111 Lightweight hunter. You hike a lot, and this gun has a 20" barrel, weighs 5.5lbs, adjustable trigger, fluted bolt, and Savage's accuracy that isn't too pricey. Not sure off the top of my head the calibers that are available, but like mentioned earlier that is more personal preference and DEAD is DEAD.

Shrek

WKR
I like the 300 wsm myself but the 300 win mag is a great round. The 7mm rem mag might be an even better choice. I have several remington 700's but all needed work to get to shoot. The savage model 16 or 116 is a great gun right out of the box. With the accu stock you don't need to bed and the accu trigger is adjustable. Not the prettiest rifle but a solid performer right out of the box. Buy the best glass you can afford. The swarovski z3 4x12x42 is a light high quality scope. It is the bottom of their line but far superior to anything leopuld makes. Look for an open box special to save a little. Cameraland.com is a good place to watch. They just posted a bunch of zeiss samples. The 300 weatherby will break the bank buying ammo. Remember , you don't need a cannon to get it done. A 30/06 will kill'em all and you can find them cheap. Good hunting ! Also ,most used rifles at the gun shop are there for a reason. As you are not into light gunsmithing I would not buy an unknown used rifle . Most have a problem that may or may not be an easy fix.

Last edited:
You already know this but Im a 7mm mag fan, ballistics are hard to beat down range... Ill sell you the Low land canyon, your already good at carrying it!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
300 wsm, 300 rum, 7 RM, 300 winny.

All good.

The 7 RUM is REALLY tough on throats, brass is rare, and loaded ammo is even more rare.

Shrek

WKR
You already know this but Im a 7mm mag fan, ballistics are hard to beat down range... Ill sell you the Low land canyon, your already good at carrying it!

X2 on the 7mm remington mag. If you get a savage 7mm rem mag and decide you really wanted a 300 win mag you can swap the barrel for about $225 at home. As long as the action lenght and bolt face are the same you can change the caliber

2rocky

WKR
There is a member here who builds custom rifles....I'm sure you could work something out with HCA....

I'm a one rifle guy myself. 22 years ago, at age 14 I decided a .300 WM was going to work, and I could be confident with it on anything in the Lower 48. I still have everything original on it including the Redfield 2-7. I've probably shot more game at Bow shot distance than rifle distance with it.

Check out the Tikka T3. My cousin had a Remington 300WSM that shot terrible, but I have the T3 300WSM and it is a tack driver. My cousin missed 2 bulls one Sunday a couple years ago, and ended up killing the 3rd bull that day with one shot from my gun, after I killed mine. Monday he went and bought a twin to mine and it shoots the same. Now 6 of us have the same gun. Killed many elk over 400 yards, and have killed 2 coyotes at 900. Its an awesome gun. And not nearly as hard on the wallet as some.

Shrek

WKR
Something to think about is that in the 30cal bullets the best ballistic performers are the 180gr to 210gr. The big mags pushing those big bullets is going to give you a flinch in no time without a brake. If you shoot light for caliber bullets the down range performance suffers. The 7mm bullets sweet spot is in the 160gr to 170gr range. That is just right for mulies , elk and moose. The 140gr bullets still have good bc's and are good to go for whitetails and speed goats. I shoot a lot and the 168gr 7mm wsm I shoot is all I care to shoot without a brake in a light carry rifle.

BuckSnort

WKR
Aron, you might as well have asked which is better Chevy, Ford or Dodge...lol

Every post above has good valid points and really there is no wrong answer... Having said that I will tell you that I have a fair number of rifles and the one that has been going hunting with me the last few years is my Tikka T3 (270 WSM).... Mine is a a sub MOA rifle no matter what bullet/powder combo I feed it..It is lightweight, easy to pack and just shoots... If I could go back I would have probably bought one in either 260 or 300 WSM (I wish they offered the 7mm WSM) as the .277 bullets are ballistically challenged at longer yardages.... A Tikka T3 in 300 WSM or 7 mag would be a great all around backpacking rifle.. I honestly believe they are the best value lightweight rifle on the market today..

tstowater

WKR
Don't be such a cheap-ass and go first class. Buy a killing machine custom in caliber of choice with top notch optics and throw away the bow (maybe not throw away the bow) and don't look back. I'm guessing you are only going to buy one rifle, so do it right the first time. Ammo availability should be a consideration in case of problems when you fly and ammo gets "misplaced". IMO.