Looking for a light 20ga O/U

kpk

WKR
Looking to pick up a new 20ga and am leaning towards a Franchi Instinct SL to use for early season pheasant and grouse. Wanting something light as there is a lot more walking than shooting now days with the low pheasant numbers in my area. I have a Maxus 12ga to use late season but is there anything else that's light I should be looking at? Also wondering about 26" vs 28" barrels on a 20ga.

The Franchi is about as much as I'm willing to spend on this gun but I'm not opposed to buying used - just not sure what to look for.

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know what the Franchi cost, but I do have a Weatherby Athena 20ga, and it is a thing of beauty to look at, to shoot, and to carry.

John

Bearsears

WKR
If light is what you are after try and find a CZ Upland Ultralight. Cheap gun that is reliable and is light. Ive been hunting with a CZ wingshooter elite for 4 years now in all types of weather and its been a solid performer for me .

Looking to pick up a new 20ga and am leaning towards a Franchi Instinct SL to use for early season pheasant and grouse. Wanting something light as there is a lot more walking than shooting now days with the low pheasant numbers in my area. I have a Maxus 12ga to use late season but is there anything else that's light I should be looking at? Also wondering about 26" vs 28" barrels on a 20ga.

The Franchi is about as much as I'm willing to spend on this gun but I'm not opposed to buying used - just not sure what to look for.
Just bought a Franchi 20 Instinct L (not the SL) and I had both in my hands for a good while. The additional weight of the steel receiver seemed inconsequential to me. The Instinct L is already VERY light - as light as any 20 ga. of any kind I've ever owned. I just couldn't see paying the extra $300 for just an ounce or two, and over time I think that steel receiver will hold up better. Gives it a more classic appearance too, in my view. I'm ecstatic with my purchase. By the way, the gold lettering "INSTINCT L" OR "INSTINCT SL" comes off very easily - at least it did from my steel receiver - and I am glad to be rid of it on an otherwise very classy looking shotgun. Good luck with your decision.

I have a hunting partner that has had multiple issues with his Franchi OU.
Buy the one that fits you best.
For me, that would be something from Browning prior to the 725 line.
I have a Silver Hunter auto and a White Lightning OU.
Both fit me better than most other manufacturers.

i have a ruger red label 20 ga with a straight grip, it's a fine pheasant gun when the weather and cover are suitable for something pretty. 28" barrels and it's still shorter than my 24" barreled maxus.

Macintosh

WKR
On a really light gun the 28”+ barrels will make a noticeable difference in shootability. Given the choice I’d take 30” barrels every time, but 28’s are much easier to find. I highly prefer the weight distribution in a steel-framed gun as well—it puts more of the weight between your hands so you dont notice it nearly as much as if it were further from center.
Also agree 150% on buying what fits you. For me Beretta fits much better than browning, but diff shaped people and all.

I purchased the CZ Redhead Premier in 28” 20 gauge a couple of years ago after carrying my Duck gun for a couple of seasons. Completely happy with it.

Flyrodr

FNG
You might find a used Browning Superposed Lightning 20ga in good shape for a decent price. They're in the 6 1/4-lb range with the 26 1/2-in barrels. Mine's over 50 years old, and still working great.

kcm2

WKR
I have a 28 ga Franchi over/under. It's become my go-to shotgun for pheasants. 5 and 1/4 lbs, and it hits hard. The only negative was that the safety/barrel selector was a bit out of whack when new but a little gunsmithing work cleaned that up. I went looking for a 20 gauge but that one was on the rack several years ago for $400 off so I bought it. Money well spent.

yfarm

WKR
Have a Citori Upland with English stock and 24” barrels, very light but hard to shoot accurately as weight is butt biased
Bought a Citori lightning with 26” barrels, shoots better with better balance
Son shoots a 1958 Superposed with 28” barrels, feels it has perfect balance and fit, weight about the same as my lightning.
Both of us prefer the round knob stocks found on the lightnings

ElPollo

WKR
I was going to buy a Franchi a few years ago but opted not to pull the trigger on it because my shotguns get really hard use. Instead I bought an alloy-framed Yildiz that has become my primary desert quail gun. Not as refined as the Franchi, but flawlessly dependable with similar weight and balance at 1/4 the cost. I have not regretted that decision one bit. Have probably close to 200 field days on that gun without an hiccup, and it’s about all I use now. Mine is a 28” 12 ga with two extended modified chokes because I generally focus on scaled quail that run and tend to flush long after the first week of the season. I also hate losing cripples when they run into pack rat dens and ground squirrel burrows. I would lean towards the longer barrel options, particularly with light guns. It’s more about swing and follow-through than pattern or performance. Light guns can be challenging to shoot, but they are darned nice to pack in big, open country.

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Franchi .20 that's all we shoot for ducks, geese, quail. Weighs 6lbs.

Attachments

• IMG_20220123_174925.jpg
    IMG_20220123_174925.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 14

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
B. Rizzini BR 110 light is another option. Alloy receiver and a dream to carry.

OP
kpk

kpk

WKR
I was going to buy a Franchi a few years ago but opted not to pull the trigger on it because my shotguns get really hard use. Instead I bought an alloy-framed Yildiz that has become my primary desert quail gun. Not as refined as the Franchi, but flawlessly dependable with similar weight and balance at 1/4 the cost. I have not regretted that decision one bit. Have probably close to 200 field days on that gun without an hiccup, and it’s about all I use now. Mine is a 28” 12 ga with two extended modified chokes because I generally focus on scaled quail that run and tend to flush long after the first week of the season. I also hate losing cripples when they run into pack rat dens and ground squirrel burrows. I would lean towards the longer barrel options, particularly with light guns. It’s more about swing and follow-through than pattern or performance. Light guns can be challenging to shoot, but they are darned nice to pack in big, open country.

I've actually looked at these before and like them - especially for the price. Problem is that only Academy sells them and they're 7 hours away from me.

jayhawk

WKR
Not sure what you're price point is, but anything in the Beretta 680 series is perfect. Sometimes you can find older models on gunbroker or local in the $1000-1700 range.

Reactions: OMB

ElPollo

WKR
I've actually looked at these before and like them - especially for the price. Problem is that only Academy sells them and they're 7 hours away from me.
Unfortunate. The Yildiz is the best economy o/u made and beats most shotguns that go for three times the price.