Looking for a couple of traditional ML's

SDHNTR

WKR
ISO, a couple of caplock traditional muzzleloaders. Right hand. Must be in good shape, especially the bore.

1. TC Hawken .54 cal, percussion. 1:48 twist 28" bbl.

2. Lyman Great Plains rifle. .50 cal percussion. 1:60" twist 32" bbl.

EdP

WKR
Neither of those are truly "traditional" ML rifles, but either is an effective ML hunting rifle. By way of explanation, "traditional" to me means true to the form and function of rifles built when ML rifles were the most advanced technology available. I have and hunt with a couple of them. They tend to be quite expensive but are a lot of fun to shoot and hunt with. The TC and Lyman rifles fell out of favor with the advent of in-lines and are generally available for an attractive price at local gun shows. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
I have a .54 Renegade, great shape, was supposedly never shot when I bought it two years ago. Excellent bore and overall condition. I fired about 20 rounds through it, very accurate with round balls, which I prefer. I will include all the mini-balls/maxis I have as well. PM me if you're curious.

OP, almost all of my experience with muzzleloaders has been with traditional ones - can I ask what your intended purpose is for these guns? Is it hunting, rendezvous, just personal interest, etc? Are you open to alternatives, or are these two guns in these specific calibers what you're locked into for very specific reasons?

This one is extremely close to the Lyman Great Plains - lots of good options out there for traditional muzzleloaders:

Last edited:
OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
OP, almost all of my experience with muzzleloaders has been with traditional ones - can I ask what your intended purpose is for these guns? Is it hunting, rendezvous, just personal interest, etc? Are you open to alternatives, or are these two guns in these specific calibers what you're locked into for very specific reasons?

This one is extremely close to the Lyman Great Plains - lots of good options out there for traditional muzzleloaders:

Good questions. Just hunting, not into the rendezvous stuff. I want the Hawken to shoot conicals and the GPR to shoot PRB’s. I’ve shot both both those in the past so am familiar with them.

I will check out that link. I actually have a Cabela’s/investarms Hawken too That is pretty darn nice for the money, so that one is worth a look. Thanks!