Looking for a 3-5 day pack for $350- reccommendations??

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
I'm currently running the icon pro frame and suspension with a 3000 ultra bag and I'm loving it. I caught a slight case of the ounce counter bug and this things incredibly light, I think I could squeeze 3 or 4 days out of it using the load sling mode. That said I've only used it for hiking it's not been proven hunting wise yet.

mauidiver

WKR
Fair enough!! Thanks again for input! So machinethomas, you found any good deals yet? Sorry, didn't mean to hyjack, I'm in the same boat as you, and these guys do know their stuff. Be interested in what you pick.

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking around and despite a lot of the insight on this thread I am leaning towards a Kuiu. It's more reasonable for price, and from what I've read it will do all I need it to do. I'm lucky to pack out a deer a year, I know it can do that. I'm a newlywed going to school and can't afford a lot right now, which is fine. That's life. I do appreciate the pm offers as well. Any more insight for mauidiver and I is appreciated. I'll keep you all updated with what I decide.

Broomd

WKR
For $350, you could buy 3 nice used packs. Top shelf gear.

Look at Osprey or RAB...save your hard earned money; your quarry won't know the diff between vias and dark brown (or any other color!) on your back....Pack companies like Osprey have been setting the standard for decades.

jherald

WKR
Don't think it's been mentioned yet but the Alps Commander X + Pack combo looks to be a killer rig for the budget minded "western" style hunter. Lots of features of the big pack brands at about 325 bucks or so. Check it out.

Might look into the new Horn Hunter Full Curl system. It's $309 and has a frame hauler w/pockets, 3000ci camp bag, and a day pack that works together in a great system for the price.

DaveC

WKR
Paradox Unaweep.

Kuiu Ultra.

Get lucky with used stuff.

Backpacking pack like the Osprey Volt.

+1 on Exo Mountain Gear. Great pack for day trips and up to a week. Ultralight, can pack out an elk without problem. Great pack and good warranty.

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Well to fill you guys in, I ended up saving some money and buying a Kelty Catalyst 65L. It seems to be a great size with a pretty beefy frame. It has some good load lifters and an adjustable frame and I think it will be just great. If I really decide to go "all in" I'll get something hunting specific but I'm excited to hit the hills and hopefully get an arrow in a decent buck this year. If I'm lucky I'll pack out one deer a year and probably be with a buddy. So I think this will be great for now. Thanks for all your input.

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
182c3f56a752dd74018325a288be0e43.jpg

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I must say if I went all out and spent some money I love the look and features of the Stone Glacier Sky Archer. I like that bivy mode and the fact that it has enough, but not too much. Super cool pack.

We all had to start somewhere in terms of the gear we bought. There was no way I was buying high-rent stuff early on. I bought what I could afford and usually was pleased with my choices. I think that Kelty pack is a fine one and should see you through many good miles of adventuring. Incidentally, my very first serious pack was a Kelty Serac which cost me more than I wanted to pay at something near $175 back in 1980.

F16pointy

FNG
I started hunting in AK using a Kelty 5200 ci external frame pack. It held up just fine a few years sheep hunting. I gave it to a friend and he is still using it. Everything can fail, you just have to be prepared for it. Run the pack on shorter trips to test it out and have extra pins and whatever other parts you can. Also duct tape is your friend. That being said I saved and upgraded to a Barneys hunter pack which is above your price range stated. But its the best pack I have ever used and you will see them being used everywhere in AK. You have a lot of good options here, but the less you spend the more you accept a potential failure. I recently bought a high camp for my wife out of Kifarus rhino den for $150. Nice bag and now we are saving for the frame and some pockets for the outside. So IMO get you something that works and then decide if this is something you want to continue doing and then slowly upgrade to the top shelf packs. Good luck!

OP
machinethomas

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks F16pointy that's great advice. It's all trial and hopefully not too much error right now. This year we'll see how it goes.

ElwoodUT

FNG
I agree with mrbillbrown. You cant go wrong with the Horn Hunter Full Curl System. This system gives you 5000 cu/in and can be broken down into a daypack mode that still has the meat shelf so you can eliminate one of your trips out. Horn Hunter offers a Lifetime Warranty that covers EVERYTHING! If you ever have a problem with it then they will take care of you FOREVER. The new 2015 model is adjustable for torso length and this pack has load lifters that really work. If you want to get the most bang for your buck and know that you have a company that will take care of you I would recommend this route.

You can pick one of these up for right around $300 and if you want to spend a little but more they make game bags and a rain fly specifically for this pack as well. If you have any questions about the Full Curl please just let me know, I have been using these packs for years.

mauidiver

WKR
Thats a crazy good deal. Do you feel these are up to par with badlands packs? Thanks for the info guys