LongHunter Lid... Anyone actually NOT hack it?

lintond

WKR
Do you guys cut the extra pouch part off? Seems unnecessary since it only seems to hold the waist belt when not used. I could also see it being for durability.... Considering hacking mine, but didn't want to get too greedy. :)

I don't plan to cut anything off of mine. I might if I had two and then would mod one for the "every ounce counts" trips.

Lawnboi

WKR
Anyone consider modding their long hunter by cutting off the lumbar junk and throwing in some e&e straps? Might be worth a try and a could 2 in straps will weigh very little.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Do you guys cut the extra pouch part off? Seems unnecessary since it only seems to hold the waist belt when not used. I could also see it being for durability.... Considering hacking mine, but didn't want to get too greedy. :)

I cut everything off both if my longhunter lids. I personally have no use for the belt or the pouch it goes in.

The only reason I would consider keeping the belt is to have a backup buckle for my pack.

I don't hack it. I will cut ounces in another area. The lid functions well as a stalking pack. If you are in an area where you need to bring some essentials (rain gear or something) with you on a potential day long stalk. But don't want a huge pack on your pack. Much easy to move with just the lid instead of pack

Stid2677

WKR
I never cut the straps off, and I did save a friend by having the 2 inch side release bucket as a spare. Love Kifaru packs but none of their lids choices are a perfect fit for me. I recently made one that has larger volume and can be accessed without unsnapping it, nice for rapid access.

P3140778_zps98c2d08a.jpg

ozyclint

WKR
i'm thinking of hacking mine to save weight. 7oz (200gm) is 7oz. that another 2 freeze dri meals! the waist belt on my T2 works with it just fine if you run the shoulder straps on the belt through the 3 bar sliders furthest from the zip end of the lid(go through the slider and then double back, this locks it there. like you do on the pack shoulder adjusters) and the top delta straps through the buckle on the zip end. you can still use it as a belt pack plus have the weight saving. the other bonus is your belt pouches are already on the main belt so they are ready to go all the time. two uses right.......

if you could get 2" wide 3 bar sliders i'd be modding it. cut the strap off but leave an inch of strap on the lid. instal a 2" (not sure what they are called) plastic thing. install a slider on belt straps and put the slider through the plastic bit it to attach the belt. exactly the same as the lumbar pad arrangement only scaled up.
best of both worlds then.

Last edited: