LongHunter Lid... Anyone actually NOT hack it?

Just got a longhunter lid, planning on hacking the waste belt (pun intended) off to save weight. Anyone actually use it or advise against cutting for any reason? Seems like a decent idea, i just dont see myself ever using it that way. Figured I would ask before i started slicing.

Joe

Ruskin

WKR
Same thought as you. I don't have enough experience to be trusted, by i did try it on and it seemed ok for close to camp. My BT1 in day camp mode with just the essentials was so damn comfortable that I just wore that every where. I have an E&E. I would wear that with std straps over the long hunter. That said I did not hack it. You never know and it's minimal savings.

I have seen the recommendation that if you cut, do keep the buckles as they are spares for frame belt.

Beastmode

WKR
Not really that big of an ounce counter. If you never plan on selling it and think you will never use it hack away. Once its gone its gone. I have seen numerous packs for sale in the past months with "custom hack jobs" . It can hurt resale.

MattB

WKR
Resale would be the only reason not to hack, and definitely keep the spare buckle.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
I'm planning on using mine as a quick disconnect pocket loaded with the essentials for fast action. If I just wanted a lid pocket I would hack it and save 9 oz.

This year we're going to a new area after elk. We're planning on hunting for 10 days and not coming out until we have meat or the hunt is over. We are going to hunt every day with our entire camp on our back until we find an area with elk where we'd like to set up camp.

If we get into elk or a bull fires up while we're commuting, I don't want to try and run after him with 70 lbs. on my back. So I just disconnect my LH lid and haul ass, leaving the heavy stuff stashed near the trail.

In the lid I will pack my license, my release, my arm guard, some calls, a headlamp, a bottle of water, my rangefinder, a lighter, my havalon, some para cord, and maybe an emergency blanket or my rain gear.

Beastmode

WKR
I'm planning on using mine as a quick disconnect pocket loaded with the essentials for fast action. If I just wanted a lid pocket I would hack it and save 9 oz.

This year we're going to a new area after elk. We're planning on hunting for 10 days and not coming out until we have meat or the hunt is over. We are going to hunt every day with our entire camp on our back until we find an area with elk where we'd like to set up camp.

If we get into elk or a bull fires up while we're commuting, I don't want to try and run after him with 70 lbs. on my back. So I just disconnect my LH lid and haul ass, leaving the heavy stuff stashed near the trail.

In the lid I will pack my license, my release, my arm guard, some calls, a headlamp, a bottle of water, my rangefinder, a lighter, my havalon, some para cord, and maybe an emergency blanket or my rain gear.

Perfect case for keeping it. Great idea! I think this is what it is intended for.

jherald

WKR
Hacked mine off. I hate waist packs and lumbar packs though. They can be a pain in the butt (pun intended).

Lawnboi

WKR
Hack it. If you want to use it as a break away pack there's a bandolier strap in there for throwing over your shoulder. Save the buckle though, that may come in handy

I'd rather have it thrown over one shoulder than on my waist for a stalk

Hacked mine including removal of the label.

My med kit will be in there so if I run across someone who needs a first aid kit, they can strap it on and run to there buddy. I like to think of my med kit as an item to help others. If I think about it as a personal need, I may inadvertently end up injured. You attract what you think about.

My med kit will be in there so if I run across someone who needs a first aid kit, they can strap it on and run to there buddy. I like to think of my med kit as an item to help others. If I think about it as a personal need, I may inadvertently end up injured. You attract what you think about.

I left some webbing (1" or so) so I could lash it if needed. You could fashion 550 cord pack straps. In your case, grab and run.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I cut mine up as soon as I got it for my standard Timberline.

When my new one shows up for my Nomad I'll be doing the same thing.

I never leave my pack behind really so I don't have the need to carry the lid alone.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
Hack it. If you want to use it as a break away pack there's a bandolier strap in there for throwing over your shoulder. Save the buckle though, that may come in handy

I'd rather have it thrown over one shoulder than on my waist for a stalk

I'm going to leave the bandolier strap on at all times, just tucked between the lid and pack. I really want to be able to haul butt if I hear a bugle. I'm probably going to have it stuffed full of crap and if I follow the elk a few miles I might appreciate the waist belt. We'll see how it goes. I might cut it after I use it for a season.

I'm experimenting with a minimalist day hunt mode on my Duplex frame. It will utilize my LH lid. I'll put up pics for you guys to critique when all the components arrive.

ScoutFox

FNG
I agree w beastmode on this one.. I didn't cut anything from mine. I have used it as it is intended and enjoy it very much. (With GunBearer as well)