Longevity of the 7mm-08?

mitchparker1980

Lil-Rokslider
I sure enjoy my 7mm-08. I find it meets the sweet spot. I shoot the 120 BT for speed goats and WT and can shoot heavier should I have a chance to go on a elk hunt. (of course, I'd use the elk hunt as a reason to buy a new rifle...but, that is beside the point)

Not sure about it beating the CM but I do think the 7mm08 is one of the most underated medium caliber hunting cartridges. Bellow is a ballistics on a 7mm08 with a 162 ELD M or X, book COAL and a book load of 6.5 Staball.

It hits 1800fps at 800 yards. According to Hornady the lowest operating velocity for ELD X is 1600fps. If you trust that, the 7mm08 has potential to be a true long range hunting cartridge.
9ad32740def5ce9516a8c70c76dc197f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

That’s pretty speedy. Is this your actual results?

Barrel length and elevation?

P

Last edited:

Elite

WKR
That’s pretty speedy. Is this your actual results?

Barrel length and elevation?

P

That does seem fast. Curious if anyone has achieved this and how accurate it would
Be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pabst

Lil-Rokslider
The 7-08 can handle a lot heavier bullets and can beat the 6.5 creedmore in velocity in every bullet weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason I bought my first 7mm-08 actually. I was interested in a Howa Alpine Mtn, which was made with a 20" barrel. The choice for me came down to either 6.5CM or 7mm-08 and I felt the 7mm-08 edged out 6.5CM in efficiency in a shorter barrel like this one. Probably a nit, but that was my reasoning.

Yup. 24” proof carbon barrel chamber in 7-08ai with a 40° shoulder.

I have owned two different 7-08s over the years. It's a great cartridge that is still some of the best whitetail and hog medicine we have. I really like the 120 NBT for whitetail and the 120 TTSX for elk under 350 yards. Add in the excellent 150 ELD-X and the little 7-08 gets the job done out to 600 yards like a champ.

That being said, I find little reason to get a new rifle chambered in 7-08. It isn't "going away" by any means but the sheer pervasiveness of the 6.5 Creedmoor makes it a better choice for just about anything. More rifles chambered for it, more factory loads and a wee bit less recoil with equal or even better ballistics would leave me scratching my head if someone were to recommend the 7-08 to a new hunter searching for a rifle, or even to an experienced hunter searching for a rifle.

Still, it's a fantastic cartridge that a handloader with a properly-configured rifle can take full advantage of on about any species of game from moose on down.
I tend to agree, and I have a custom Rem Model 7 that was blue printed and rebarreled from 7.08 to 7.08 AI optimized for 120 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip. That rifle was mostly dedicated to western mule deer. Given advances in long range shooting, if I did it over, I'd probably build something designed around a heavier 6.5 mm bullet.

Yup. 24” proof carbon barrel chamber in 7-08ai with a 40° shoulder.
Nice to see a reloader with a 7.08 AI.

I have a 7.08 that was customized and rebarreled for 7-08AI by Gordy Gritter about 15 yrs ago. I originally bought it from Remington custom shop as a Remington "Custom KS" 7.08. I like both cartridges the 7.08 and 7.08 AI, but the AI doesn't add a lot to the velocity. I actually had two barrels made - one is the 7-08 AI, the other is 6BR.

My 7.08 AI is optimized around the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip and I load it per Steve Timm's specifications. Twist and throat are a bit slow and short for longer bullets, but if I think I need a 150-160 grain bullet I'm probably going for a more powerful weapon.

My goal was to keep the rifle suitable for everyday hunting of Mule Deer at up to 400 yards and whitetail while keeping recoil moderate.

Steve Timm was getting 3,250 fps instrumental at 10 ft. with the 120 NBT and a heavy dose of Varget with a 22 inch barrel. I get close to the same with no evidence of excessive pressure. I also have a tight chamber and neck. 7.08 AI was one of Steve Timm's pet load for deer and he used it quite succesfully on Elk as well. Steve Timm was well known due to his publication work with Varmint Magazine (or similar name).

Certainly plenty of gun to 400 yards for most anything but I'd go heavier for Elk if I had a choice.

Today, if I was building a Mule Deer cartridge I might do something different given advances in long range hunting.