Longest shot with a rifle

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
David,
How far from the winter range you saw him on and the high country where you killed him?

D

david long

As the crow flies......approximately 40 miles. Over the years, I have located three bucks in the high country during hunting season that I had seen previously on the winter range. Pretty amazing!

Mule deer at 557 yards in Colorado several years ago. Winchester 70 in .300wm. Still trying to figure out how to post a pic on here!!

Dave!!! I watched the hunt where you took Curly and the interview with Mike showing the footage of him years before!!! GREAT SHOT!!! Love that buck.

The longest shot I have is 386 when I was 16 on a Mule Deer in Kansas. He was on a dead run out of a bowl and I popped down into a kneeling position, racked one into the chamber and dropped him in his tracks. Best hunting shot I have taken.

Ruger M77 Mk II in .270 with a cheaper Simmons 4-12X40 (i think its a 40)

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Dave, that is neat you've found those same bucks low & high. I can't say I've ever found the same one in both winter summer ranges.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
To post a pic, click the "go advanced" and you'll see where you can add an attachment. How to make it post as a full pic and not a thumbnail is a mystery to me!

D

david long

Thanks Evan.

Robby, I spent a lot of hours plotting deer migrations on maps, studying radio collar studies, etc. I feel very lucky to have found three bucks on both their winter range and summer range. If I would have remained living in Wyoming, I believe I would have found additional bucks. It was amazing how similar some of their migrations were when it came to how many miles they traveled both south and east.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That is an amazing feat David. I have to laugh when guys tell me they are watching the same bucks on the winter range and the summer range but they never seem to kill them- you did!

364 yards on Last 6x6 elk that i killed. Remington Model 700 Alaskan Titanium .300 WSM Leupold VX3L 4.5-14x50.
I will put pictures up when i get on my personal computer. He was dead as soon as i pulled the trigger. I seen the bullet smack him right behind the shoulder and knew right away that it was a good shot. That one meant a lot to me because my dad was sitting right beside me and seen the whole ordeal go down. 30 minutes later he shot a cow out of the same bunch. We caught up with the elk over the next ridge. We had two elk down half a mile apart. ~Southern Colorado

Previous bull before that was 317 yards with a Remmy model 700 7mm mag. 5x5 bull. Northwest Colorado. Pics coming soon!

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I gave up rifle hunting about 3 years ago, but at the time, 867 yard California Blacktail. It was 0.49 miles on my GPS from the shot to where he was standing.

Here is my turret dialed in.....

DSC00824.jpg

Here is the dead buck....

DSC00819.jpg

TwoTikkas

WKR
Doe whitetail @ 300 yds +/- a yard. I took her under the chin with a stock Tikka T3 7 Rem Mag. Nothing special in the world of long range shooting,but I'm happy with it. With a glove thrown over a fallen log and a 2 week old stock sporter I'm tickled. Sorry no pics. It was a meat hunt and ended at last light of the day. I need to put a cheap camera in my hunting coat.

R

rebecca francis

530 yards on a dall sheep in Alaska using a 7 mag. It took a very very bad fall.

6968447967_7fe86b80f4_z.jpg