Longer Stakes for Tipi Tent?

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody prefer using longer tent stakes for their tipi? If not, how do you get the provided shorter stakes to work (e.g. 7” Y-type stakes)?

A buddy recommended longer stakes, I’m seeing 10” cyclone stakes by MSR as an option but might be overkill. Any others that you’d recommend?

Tent is a Seek Outside Cimarron

Landon4

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the issue with the shorter ones, I have the cimmaron also and haven’t had any issues

11boo

WKR
The short seek stakes are obvi made for weight savings. I’ve broken 30% of mine.
I’m not packing it on my back either, so I just replaced them with 8” spikes.

cnelk

WKR
I have a SO tipi and got the 'twisty' stakes when I ordered it.
They are great

Call SO and get them

I have gotten away with mini MSR and even titanium pins for the most part. I do mix in two full size ground hogs on my tarp set up for the ridge line. I have some of their twisty stakes but can’t recall using them.

The only time it has ever been an issue, I have been able to plant the stake and put a rock on top and it hasn’t pulled out.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
It really depends on the conditions, including location, windiness, and the quality of the soil you are driving the stakes into. I have done well with a mix of groundhogs and durapegs under most conditions--some of the durapegs seem like they are becoming brittle but fair enough, i have been using them for more than 12 years. I have a set of the kifaru SST pins that work great on softer soils w less hold to them.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I just got into the tepee game and I’m in the SE US. I run longer stakes to get the fly edges up for better air flow. It’s way too humid in the SE to get the fly all the way to the ground. I leave some of the stake out and then loop to the top of the MSR Groundhog stake. The extra height above ground at the stake allows me to get the tent tight but still have it up. I hope that makes sense.

Landon4

Lil-Rokslider
I use the msr on my seek some as well I think they do better than the seek ones they don’t seem to bend as easily, I have the long twisty ones also but only use those in really soft soil