Long throw headlamp or flashlight?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a 1400 lumen headlamp that just doesn’t shine far enough for route finding even in the spot mode. Would like to have something to save me from wasting time with wrong turns or harder than necessary paths. Also should I look for higher lumens or just a narrower beam?

EdP

WKR
I have found the 2 AA LED Maglights throw a great beam. The problem is the reliability of the LED is total crap so I have given up on using them. Hopefully someone knows of something with a comparable beam that is reliable.

BBob

WKR
You need a “thrower” not more lumens. I use a thrower/hot spot beam at 1K lumens to do what you’re doing. There are hybrids out there that have what they call “spill” with a “hot spot” that can work too. It’s two beam angles in one. Typical is 15° or so hot spot beam and 75° spill beam.

My compact backpack thrower is an old Surefire body with a 16650 battery and a Malkoff Devices ~250 lumen thrower head. Malkoff and many others make complete flashlights like this (also with bigger batteries and more lumens). I did it years ago when there were far less choices out there. You can see far off up and down canyons and ridges so you can figure out where you’re going. A flood beam even with high lumens sucks for this as you can’t illuminate anything very far away.

Last edited:

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
Coast makes a good one I use for work. Orange and gray. About $50. It has a focus ring for the light on it and I've got good battery life out of it.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
The problem with the higher output lights is battery life most are only going to give you an hour on max or turbo power. Coast, Peak, Petzl, Black Diamond and Fenix have all been pretty good for battery life and brightness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The problem with the higher output lights is battery life most are only going to give you an hour on max or turbo power. Coast, Peak, Petzl, Black Diamond and Fenix have all been pretty good for battery life and brightness.

True! I found it best to by a one way brighter than needed which will have a larger battery and use it on lower setting. If I use my 1400lmn on medium it’s 600lmn that lasts six hours.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I like the 600 lumen range, the Coast light I use the most has a great spot and it has lasted all night on many a SAR call. I also run an Oxbow helmet light that is outstanding but the battery is big.

Candela is what you are after. The higher candela the more concentrated the beam.

I have a max candela EDC from Goon beam. I like how far it shines. Like it's battery life. Just not a fan of the company.

IDVortex

WKR
I'm curious on this. Bought a petzle and got to use it for the first time last night. Was not impressed with the beam or distance of it. It would honestly suck to use off trail.

BBob

WKR
I'm curious on this. Bought a petzle and got to use it for the first time last night. Was not impressed with the beam or distance of it. It would honestly suck to use off trail.
Which is exactly why I carry a separate thrower. For my main headlamp I use a Petzl Tactikka Core and mostly use the modified Surefire with a thrower head on it when I need to light things up far away. Throwers aren't much good for anything but one hot spot in the distance, they don't give much useful side lighting for general use.

I also heve a Zebra headlamp that has a hybrid lens with a hot spot and spill combo. If you only wanted to carry one headlamp and need longer distance that would be a good choice.

its all about the reflector. there are forums dedicated to flashlights. Brightest, furthest throw, etc..

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I keep two headlamps in my pack, one's a spot, and the other isn't quite a spot but is better than a flood. Those cover everything I need in a headlamp. I also have a small flashlight that throws a heck of a bright narrow beam.