Long Range Pistol - 460 S&W?

Snyd

WKR
And of course there is the Freedom Arms Model 2008 single shot.

A few years ago Bob Baker from FA came here to AK for a moose hunt with it with a 45/70 barrel. He killed a beast of a bull with it. A good friend of mine and member here Bob Robertson was with him on that hunt.

Of course FA has numerous barrels/calibers.

One quick article if you’re not familiar with the FA 2008. Lots of videos and reviews out there.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
And of course there is the Freedom Arms Model 2008 single shot.

A few years ago Bob Baker from FA came here to AK for a moose hunt with it with a 45/70 barrel. He killed a beast of a bull with it. A good friend of mine and member here Bob Robertson was with him on that hunt.

Of course FA has numerous barrels/calibers.

One quick article if you’re not familiar with the FA 2008. Lots of videos and reviews out there.

Bob is a super nice guy and a great shot as well

Snyd

WKR
IMG-0591.jpg
My FA83 454 4x leupold moose hunting load and how I shoot off the bench. POA/POI is consistent shooting off hand, kneeling etc. resting the barrel, and butt on bags will result in a different POI from various field positions.

IMG-1899.jpg

Snyd

WKR
With the right load and right shooter the FA 454 is a 200 yd game getter. Too far for me! I’ll leave that to the Wyoming deer and antelope hunters !

Snyd

WKR
XTPMag.jpg
IMG-2581.jpg
240 gr xtp mag max load 1900+fps. Hit this ram at 71yds. Flipped him over backwards. I’ve shot rams with my 325wsm that didn’t go down that quick. The 454 at max loads is one straight wall pistol round with enough velocity to expand a hp bullet on game. I recovered the bullet under the far side hide behind the shoulder.

TaperPin

WKR
Recommendations on a single shot?
A TC Contender is pretty slick. I hunted a few years with a 44 mag barrel with a really long throat (before 444 marlin) so bullets could be seated way out greatly increasing velocity potential to carbine rifle levels (no need to crimp bullets in a single shot). If I had to shoot a straight walled case that (or 444 marlin) would be on my short list with hard cast flat nosed bullets, but some of the new straight walled rifle cartridges would be better past 200 yards.

Ernie

Lil-Rokslider
A very inexpensive way to get in to the single shot set-ups is the CVA Scout Pistols:
357 Magnum and 44 Magnum. They also have some with bottleneck cartridges. They typically shoot great for the money.

CVA Scout V2 44 Remington Mag Pistol - 1 Round, 14" Barrel, Polymer Grips, Stainless/Silver​