Long drive ebook suggestions

Not WW2, but the Longhunters by Rinella is pretty good. I listen to a lot of self help/diet stuff. Don't forget podcasts too. I devour a lot of the hunting ones, but Rogan, Meateater, hunttalk, etc are all pretty entertaining. If you are into health Good energy by Casey and Callie means is good. Pretty technical. Also diet/lifestyle, Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint- both pretty eye opening and scary actually. Currently also have killers of the flower moon going as well.

Yoder

WKR
If you like Theodore Roosevelt, there's a three book series by Edmund Morris that is outstanding. There's also a great three book series about Winston Chruchill written by William Manchester.

Some of my favorite WWII books:
Islands of the damned by R.V. Burgin- War in the pacific
The Liberator by Alex Kershaw- Fighting through Italy and Europe then liberating one of the first concentration camps.
Helmet for my pillow by Robert Leckie- War in the Pacific, referenced to make the series The Pacific
To hell and back by Audie Murphy the Medal of Honor recipient
With the old breed by E.B. Sledge- The Pacific mini series was also based on this outstanding book.

Vietnam war:
On the ground by John Stryker Meyer- SOG missions that were declassified. This is a great book but the narration is pretty awful. He was on Jockos podcast a bunch of times. His stories are incredible.

Silent warrior by Charles Henderson -This is about the legendary sniper Carlos Hathcock

This is one of the most amazing transformations of any person I've heard about in a long time. Hopeless, morbidly obese, alcoholic, drug addict to ultra runner. The book is called Out There by David Clark I've listened to this several times.

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
Not ww2. But the Iliad by homer and the odyssey by homer are great ones to listen to. Last of the Breed by Louis l'Amour is a favorite of mine. It's about an American pilot crash landing in Russia and getting in touch with his native american ways while he's tracked down.

TX_Diver

WKR
Unbroken was good
Endurance (qualifies for the manly category) is an all time favorite.
Once an eagle is fiction but is very much in line with what you’re looking for also I think. You may have to make the drive 2x to finish it though 😂

hoosierhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
A few off the top of my head...

Natural history recommendation - Guns, Germs, and Steel
American history recommendation - Empire of the Summer Moon
Conservation and american history - American Buffalo

Can you just buy individual audiobooks? Or do you have to buy a subscription to audible? I'd like to buy a couple to listen to, but maybe only a couple a year so an audible subscription wouldn't be worth it to me.

And what happens to the books you buy if you cancel the audible subscription?

Beendare

WKR
I've found I can't do fiction on Audible. I think something is missed...considering a fictional book is a work of art where a non-fiction is more of a summary and/or consolidation and presentation of facts. Consider the following exerpt:

“The jagged mountains were pure blue in the dawn and everywhere birds twittered and the sun when it rose caught the moon in the west so that they lay opposed to each other across the earth, the sun whitehot and the moon a pale replica, as if they were the ends of a common bore beyond whose terminals burned worlds past all reckoning.”

In an ebook setting this passage would just come and go and not really give the listener time to pause and think and get their mind blown.

I appreciate a well written book and can site examples I like in every category from Non Fiction to Scl fi.

I love Audible and the free Libby ( public library app)

I can hike, work out or sit on stand and listen to smart world class literature like, “ Cutting for Stone” by Abraham Verghese or a semi dry Biography…..

But driving, give me Lee Childs Jack Reacher, Flynn’s Mitch Rapp, anything by Jack Carr .or Greany’s Gray Man.

I want action to keep me from nodding off. .

WWll subject matter; the book, “Once an Eagle”, by Anton Myrer was incredibly well written spanning WWl to the Vietnam war- its very good.its written from a thinking man Warrior’s perspective. Jack Carr at a book signing said it was one of his favorites.

Last edited:
I appreciate a well written book and can site examples I like in every category from Non Fiction to Scl fi.

I love Audible and the free Libby ( public library app)

I can hike, work out or sit on stand and listen to smart world class literature like, “ Cutting for Stone” by Abraham Verghese or a semi dry Biography…..

But driving, give me Lee Childs Jack Reacher, Flynn’s Mitch Rapp, anything by Jack Carr .or Greany’s Gray Man.

I want action to keep me from nodding off. .

WWll subject matter; the book, “Once an Eagle”, by Anton Myrer was incredibly well written spanning WWl to the Vietnam war- its very good.its written from a thinking man Warrior’s perspective. Jack Carr at a book signing said it was one of his favorites.

Do you find yourself pausing and thinking a bit pretty often?

Solm

FNG
If you want something nonfiction, Gladwell's The Bomber Mafia was fun and interesting. Freakonomics is another nonfiction book that comes in just over 6 hours. It can be easily stopped at various chapters.

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
I posted this in the book thread but I will put it here as well because I listened to it on audible while in the truck:

Son of the Morning Star by Evan S. Connell - an extremely well researched summation of Custer’s life and the events surrounding Little Bighorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like history you’ve got to listen to the autobiography of the honorable William f Cody. “Buffalo Bill”. It has some amazing stories of survival and encounters with Indians, hunting, and horse racing. And his relationship with Wild Bill. I really enjoyed it.

I’ve listened to all the CJ Box Joe Pickett series.

This is a little different but I just listened to The Hobbit and am now working through the Lord of the Rings books. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m headed out to AZ late next month and will be on the road for 23ish hours so I’m looking for some ebook suggestions.

I’m really big into American history - specifically the WW2 era so I’ve pretty well torn that genre apart. So I’m looking for suggestions on early American history including exploration, war, conservation, hunting, adventures…. You know, “man shit”…

Also very open to any other suggestions- I’m an open book - no pun intended.
“The Tycoons” by Charles R. Morris

Good book about the few legendary men like Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, etc that built up America.

Not sure if it is in audiobook, but it’s a good paperback book.

j3h8

Lil-Rokslider
It's not WWII era but a bit earlier (1915); "Endurance - Shackleton's Incredible Journey" by Alfred Lansing, is a great listen on Audible. A failed artic exploration by Ernest Shackleton and crew and the incredible survival and rescue.

If you like fiction the Tom Clancy books will get you hooked on a long drive. There are some really good history audio books from Victor Davis Hanson and the Killing series by O'Reilly such as Killing Lincoln are really good.