Long Draw Arrow Setup Help

Macintosh

WKR
I'm only shooting 60#, shooting uncut 32" arrows with a 50gr weighted insert/100gr heads and I had to move to 250's due to having exactly the same issue tuning with broadheads, going to a stiffer spine basically made tuning much easier overnight--bare shaft is like jarts now. The gold tip spine chart on their website only goes up to 32" and there it recommends a 200 spine for 70+ lb at 315+fps bow. I'm betting with you shooting a 33" arrow (did I get that right?), 125gr tip and a faster bow than the chart is based on, this is at least a significant part of the difficulty, looks to me that according to the manufacturers recommendation you are under-spined with a 250 arrow regardless of whether it's 32" or 33". Note the chart is ibo speed, not speed of your arrows.
1658414608168.png

Last edited:

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
What speed is the bow shooting? I have a 32" draw (mathews so it's closer to 32.5" in Bowtech) At my specs and a lower poundage then you I'm hitting 276 fps. Generally speaking it's good to keep below 280fps with fixed blade broadheads. Above that and you run the risk of your broadhead causing inconsistent arrow flight. Just a thought. Maybe back down the poundage by 5-10lbs and try again. It would also help to know if your spine is to weak as others have considered.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shooting 32 1/2" draw out of an 80# Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34 LD I had the same results with expandable. I was using the NAP Spitfires. I shot a deer at 25 yards with a slight quartering angle one blade caught and changed the trajectory of the arrow. It resulted in a single lung hit and the arrow wiggled out as it ran away. I shoot the Gold Tip Kinetic Kaos 200 spines and actually cut them dow about an inch and a half. I shoot the Kudu broad heads100 grain and I have passed through every other animal I have shot.

I know guys like mechanicals but I feel like the fixed blade takes away the what if's. If you have a reputable shop nearby go in and see if they can paper and bare shaft tune your bow. If not youtube has a lot of great tuning videos that can help. Typically once I have that done I can get my broad heads and field points hitting together out to 100.

I’m 32.5” at ~68lbs out of a Hoyt XXL shooting 565gr TAW with 250spine Black Eagle Renegades. I’m trying the RF Heavy Arrow Handload Process with 200/250 spine Sirius Apollo’s, just to see if there’s any difference. Maybe you need a stiffer spine?