Long barrel vs shorter?

BillyGoatGruff

Lil-Rokslider
I'm starting up a AR-10 based build. Most likely in 6.5 creedmoor.

Looking at barrels that I can get readily. some options are a Shilen 22" fluted or non fluted 26". I'm leaning towards the 22" because it's a full 28oz lighter. These guns always end up pretty heavy anyways, wouldn't mind shedding weight where I can...

This mostly just going to be for ringing steel for fun type of gun. I am hoping it is accurate enough to reach out to 800+ and maybe a 1000.

If it turns out good and accurate I might do some cross over hunting with it depending on the type of hunt.( mule deer) I built a ar15 that shoots 1/4 moa pretty regular when I do my part. Hoping for similar results with this one.

So will a 22" get the job done? I really don't want a 26" barrel on this particular setup. I can also get a Kreiger in any length but not sure I want to wait for one and it's about $200 more (close to $800)
Can also get a Lilja at 24" actually cheaper than the others but still a waiting period.

Just looking for opinions mainly on the advantage or disadvantage of a longer barrel vs a shorter one? All these manufactures are good imo.

anyone have thoughts on the 6.5 creedmoor in an AR platform?

Thanks, BGG

Fire_9

WKR
Personally I would go for the 22. I'm a big fan of shorter vs. longer especially for a gun you may hunt with. You will lose a little velocity going with the shorter barrel but you may actually end up with a more accurate setup since you will have a stiffer barrel. I run my 22" 6.5x47 out to 1k without any problems and I'm by no means an excellent shot

OP
BillyGoatGruff

BillyGoatGruff

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks fire, been researching the subject a little bit and there seems to be no advantage other than velocity assuming the use of a quality barrel.
I did come across a drop in 24" fluted Lilja in 260 rem that is in-stock and ready to ship. That barrel is only about 7oz heavier than the 22" 6.5CM

I'm kinda torn between the two calibers 260 vs 6.5CM

Orion81

FNG
Another option...stockeysstocks.com has AR10 Proof Research 24" carbon wrapped barrels in 6.5 creedmoor in stock and on sale right now.

OP
BillyGoatGruff

BillyGoatGruff

Lil-Rokslider
Another option...stockeysstocks.com has AR10 Proof Research 24" carbon wrapped barrels in 6.5 creedmoor in stock and on sale right now.

Yea, I tossed around the idea of a CF barrel. Just don't know enough about them.
Anybody on the Rok have experience with Proof research barrels? Be interested in opinions...

Fire_9

WKR
The 24" would be a good compromise. Kind of a wash between the .260 and 6.5 CM in all the research I've done. Only issue you might run into is overall length on the .260 with heavier bullets. Check out the 6.5 SLR or 6.5x47 if you want to make the decision even harder lol