Loaded day pack weight

Poser

WKR
Interesting responses. Yes, you can and should lighten up that pack a bit (sounds like you already have) without having to spend $1600 on a lighter pack, puffy etc.

I suppose that after reading the responses, my question is what kind of real performance advantage does one achieve with skimping down to "ultralight" hunting vs. "lightweight" for the purposes of day hunting?

Backpacking? totally get it as there is a huge difference between, say a 68 lbs pack weight and a 51 lbs pack weight for virtually everyone: fit, strong, tough, fast, 225 lbs or 165 lbs: you're going to notice that weight difference and associated fatigue difference.

At some point, however, you seem to hit a tipping point of "light" weight where a few lbs makes no perceivable or practical difference in performance for anyone who is in shape for carrying a pack and not racing for time where there are differences of seconds between the racers. 21 lbs vs. 16 lbs? I'm not sure I could even get an objective performance metric difference for myself if we did a hill climb for time with the two weights. If you're in a very light bodyweight range of, say 120 lbs, it may make a difference. If you put that weight on a dedicated runner or a SkiMo racer, they probably would have (and certainly notice) a performance difference, but somebody in shape for mtn backpacking, short of doing the steepest, hardest, longest, nastiest objective around, I wouldn't put much thoughts into it. In fact, for day hunting, I'd be more prone to throwing a thermos in my pack, bringing a 16 oz meatball sandwich or other luxury items simply because its a day hunt.

Also, you could put 11 lbs in a day pack without a frame and 21 lbs in a day pack with a frame and may perform better with 21 lbs on your hips than 11 lbs on your shoulders. All weight is not equal and optimal doesn't always = practical. At the end of the day, its a day hunt and if you're getting your ass kicked because of a 25 lbs pack weight, your problem is not the weight of the pack.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Also, you could put 11 lbs in a day pack without a frame and 21 lbs in a day pack with a frame and may perform better with 21 lbs on your hips than 11 lbs on your shoulders. All weight is not equal and optimal doesn't always = practical. At the end of the day, its a day hunt and if you're getting your ass kicked because of a 25 lbs pack weight, your problem is not the weight of the pack.
This is so true. Last year I saddle hunted with a tethrd fas pack and with my saddle and steps strapped to it it was close to 30 lbs as well with no waist belt and it did not carry well at all. Will gladly pay the weight penalty for the comfort of carrying this pack. Can't speak for other brands really, I had a MR pop up, that I don't think wore as well, but also as you said I don't want to spend any more money than absolutely necessary.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your pack & frame are just fine; you get a deer down 4-5 miles in—it will be even better :D

Par down the weight a little and you'll be finer- 3+ lb first aid absolutely could be pared down-like 2-ish lbs pared :)

Your kill kit at 13 oz is pretty close to what mine is, so probably not much paring there.

Pound and half puffy (for September) could easily be pared. Check the classifieds here—I've seen some absolute steals on a variety of puffy jackets.

Leaving off the lid and Sherman would shave at least a pound, probably closer to two.

A new tripod is pricey, but you might be able to lighten yours—I've take the lower legs out of several tripods in the past- simply didn't need the height when glassing sitting. Many tripod come with two center sections-one long, one short- I didn't need the long one and saved more weight there.

Three pounds for rain gear is a little heavy for typical September weather; if the forecast calls for sustained rain- yeah bring them; if not a you can get by with a lot lighter.

Almost a 1/2 pound for a sharpener need not be carried- bringing one sharp knife and a Havolon like knife w/ a few blades there is no need for a sharpener.

Bone saw and a Silky (wood) saw 10 oz— my saw (a custom bodied Silky) weighs 2.8 oz w/ a wood blade and a bone blade.

27 oz stove is too heavy- even if it includes a pot & fuel. You could easily cut that in half—that's if you even need to bring the stove. If you're going far in (or kill something far in) I admit I do it sometimes :)

A half pound bladder seems a little hefty too. Looks like you have a Nalgene holder on your pack- that's a liter of water, generally speaking (every place can be a little different) another liter of water usually covers the need- assuming you find some water throughout the day (highly likely)

A pound and a half of "misc" might be worth going through it as well.

You mentioned toiletries in one post, for a day hunt a couple of ounces for some tp (I like cut up paper shop towels) and a couple of wipes is all one needs. Keep additional toiletries at the truck.

While I agree with @Poser that if someone is having trouble w/ a 30# pack (especially on a hauler frame) there are other problems that need solving. However starting with a 15 lb pound pack vs a 30 lb pack will make a difference moving up/down mountains and this will be even more telling when you get the big mule deer buck down five miles in. With a 15 lb pack you stand a very good chance to get out that entire (boned deer and head), with a 30 pound pack less so :D

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Always have heard between quality, light, and cheap you can only pick two…I think I am sub $100 between puffy, rain jacket, and rain pants all combined.

svivian

WKR
I would get rid of this entire pocket and add a havalon to your kill kit. I would also either ditch the rain pants or the gaitors. The first aid kit should be less than a pound.
1718041446778.png

sndmn11

WKR
At some point, however, you seem to hit a tipping point of "light" weight where a few lbs makes no perceivable or practical difference in performance for anyone who is in shape for carrying a pack and not racing for time where there are differences of seconds between the racers. 21 lbs vs. 16 lbs? I'm not sure I could even get an objective performance metric difference for myself if we did a hill climb for time with the two weights. If you're in a very light bodyweight range of, say 120 lbs, it may make a difference. If you put that weight on a dedicated runner or a SkiMo racer, they probably would have (and certainly notice) a performance difference, but somebody in shape for mtn backpacking, short of doing the steepest, hardest, longest, nastiest objective around, I wouldn't put much thoughts into it. In fact, for day hunting, I'd be more prone to throwing a thermos in my pack, bringing a 16 oz meatball sandwich or other luxury items simply because its a day hunt.
I think you are spot on, and have gotten there via experience, but I don't believe that people who haven't yet, can comprehend what a SUCCESSFUL day hunt probably entails. A great example lies a couple posts back writing about hiking on some epic journey for miles into the wild.

My opinion is that 20-25 is a good number for someone to shoot for before water on a day hunt, who doesn't have the perspective of being "ultralight". i.e. someone getting started in hunting regardless of terrain/locale. I'd bet a lot of money @guitarpreston will have a more successful hunt if he cruises out with rain gear, a kill kit, and one snack, and hunts the heck out of whatever his comfort zone is close to the truck being without all the extra stuff. I picture someone wanting to trek miles into the mountains with a loaded day pack and no plan being the person who only gets to hunt from noon to 2p because before and after they are trekking past animals.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Daypack means to me, bare minimum, if I’m wearing a day pack I’m either spiked out or hunting from a base camp. I go light light! Main reason is because I am hiking in and out daily, so I will burn more boot leather but should be a lot more comfortable since I’m not carrying camp. For me it’s kill kit, puffy, snacks, med kit, 1.5 liter water bottle, 1 liter water bottle, filter, beanie, neck gaiter, gloves. (Elk) this is about 13lbs, I come in around 17/18 lbs for MD spotter and tripod come and maybe a heavier puffy

Monsoon season is over but it still can rain, sleet or snow. Just wouldn’t expect heavy downpours. Temperatures can be teens to seventies. Sun will make 50 feel like 70, shade will be cool-cold in the morning. You will warm up fast hiking, start off dressed feeling cool so you don’t overheat and sweat.

I think this is one thing often overlooked that can have an impact on a hunt as much as not having any kind of a med/emergency field kit. 👍

3" of snow one morning and t-shirt weather the next is not uncommon.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Trimmed med kit way down, and took out some random stuff and the stove. Down to 26 pounds with the Sherman and claymore...Not bad and I still can keep my TP on the very top for easy access ha!

Typical day pack weight with water, med kit, some clothing supplies and snacks for a non-overnight is 30-35lbs.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Lot of good advice here, the other, more obvious answer is:
1718171255616.jpeg
In all seriousness, take your kit out, fill your water bottles, hike around, mimic all of the things you are going to do, and keep a running list of everything you use.

Anything you don’t touch is suspect with three exceptions:
1) med kit
2) navigation tools
3) bad weather gear

If you don’t have experience in the backcountry or rough terrain, your primary drivers in gear selection should be killing deer and risk mitigation. 30lbs isn’t unreasonable to start with and you can refine as you go.

The mountains are unpredictable and will always win, prepare accordingly.

Example:
Day 1-3 Archery: 57-68 degrees every morning
1718171865660.jpeg

Also Day 3 Archery: 31 degree shift from “possible storm system” according to Sat weather forecast alert
1718172078133.jpeg

Last edited:

TrackerG

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your loaded out day pack weigh? Gearing up for a high country mule deer hunt in sept and mines getting chunky for dark to dark day hunts.
Contents, mymedic myfak, puffy, kill kit (mostly), stove, fixed blade knife, silky saw, tp roll, grunt tube, thermacell, gaiters, tripod, spotter, and trekking poles. Current weight 32 pounds

Obviously I have some stuff I’m going to pull out of there like the grunt tube and thermacell, but need to add a few things as well such as water filtration, and food.
Who cares what it weighs, just lift more BRO.