Loaded day pack weight

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can tell you that a 3 lb first aid kit can be trimmed by 2 lbs pretty easy :)

I don't think having a smaller bag on a Kifaru frame is a bad idea; they haul like no oneone's business (I recently reviewed one). That comes with a bit of a weight penalty over other options, but you already have it and it works well (really well with heavy loads).

I would consider ditching the lid and the Sherman- you should be able to get a September's day hunt with 30-ish liters. That's a pretty easy pound (if you can get everything to fit in the main bag). I would keep the Nalgne and belt pocket though- definitely worth the minor weight for the convenience of having stuff you use a lot handy (and saves some room in your pack too)

What's your kill kit weigh?, that's usually an area where a lot of folks can trim.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll try to list mine off the top of my head.
Pack/ kuiu ultra 4000 3lb 13oz
Kill kit/ mora knife 4oz three game bags 9oz
Misc, first aid, fire starter/ 5oz
Power bank, cords, head lamp/ 14oz
Water bladder/ 4oz
Snacks/ 4oz (late season I might bring stove)
Binos, harness, micro tripod, adapter, rf/ 32oz
Puffy, rain top&bottom, stuff sack/ 31oz
Trekking poles/ 12.6
Total = 11lbs add 4lbs for water and 8lbs for bow

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
This would be for a September day hunt (Montana). This is w/ a hauler frame/bag and includes spotter/tripod, binos/harness, puffy top/bottom, mid-layer, kill kit, first aid & misc

Also includes a 20x50" pad (I'll use this pad for glassing), bivy & a lightweight quilt- just in case :)

11 lbs (w/o water, lunch & snacks- probably 5 lbs)

https://lighterpack.com/r/pyxhij

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Def going to drop a fixed blade knife and my silky saw out, the gaiters will be either on or off they’re just stored in there now, thermacell and grunt tube etc won’t go. Going to cut down the first aid kit by a lot. But the thing that really stands out to me compared to your list is my crap is just heavier for the most part. Budget constraints are a beating. But I’m shooting to cut 5 pounds out and leave my pockets on to strap my bow with and keep toiletries handy.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
But the thing that really stands out to me compared to your list is my crap is just heavier for the most part. Budget constraints are a beating. But I’m shooting to cut 5 pounds out and leave my pockets on to strap my bow with and keep toiletries handy.
Nothing budget about Kifaru frames.
When you can upgrade your clothing to UL options and that will make a difference too.

Subjective and personal preference but I try to keep each garment at a pound or lighter: puffy, rain jacket, softshell. For fall weather hunts.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Def going to drop a fixed blade knife and my silky saw out, the gaiters will be either on or off they’re just stored in there now, thermacell and grunt tube etc won’t go. Going to cut down the first aid kit by a lot. But the thing that really stands out to me compared to your list is my crap is just heavier for the most part. Budget constraints are a beating. But I’m shooting to cut 5 pounds out and leave my pockets on to strap my bow with and keep toiletries handy.
What exactly is your rain gear and puffy? If you have a budget to upgrade anything I think this is the spot. Along with eliminating things you might find yourself not needing one of those pockets either, just get some compression straps for holding your bow.

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
My puffy and rain gear are both Colombia I picked them up off eBay for cheap. I’ve not ruled just using straps out either.

IDVortex

WKR
I need to focus on dialing in my day pack gear going over this thread briefly. Though, it's nice to know my over night pack weight isn't that far off compared to most. But my day pack is way heavy. 😂

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider

CamelBak Ambush Hydration Pack (I only use about 1litre of water in it), small tyvek tarp, 50ft of paracord, two mre entree's, fire starting kit, compass, basic trama kit (tourniquet,quick clot, couple of dressings and compression tape) and a tiny hatchet. Whole thing about 5lbs. I leave most of my heavy gear at camp or in my vehicle. Its a day pack, not a camping backpack.-WW

ps. I do have a fixed blade knife on my hip, and only carry the ammo in my gun, no extra. I generally walk in two hours in and two hours back. To either camp or vehicle. Sorry bout the bold print don't know why it happened this time.

croben

WKR
Not sure what all is in your med kit, but I wouldn’t cut that out completely. I carry two TQs, a set of chest seals, and combat gauze, on top of a few bandaids, leukotape, some pain relievers and anti-diarrhea medicine.

Not sure what your experience level is, but keep in mind some guys are able to save weight because their experience level is high. They can do the same or more with less stuff.

Also, go test your gear beforehand. The best way to figure out what you really need is to go do it. Be honest with yourself if you really need stuff or if you’re just packing your fears. At the end of day, just go out and do it. Have fun and make some memories!

OP
G

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not super experienced as far as the med kit goes. Trying to err on the side of caution and pay a 2 pound penalty. But I am going to change the package it’s in and cut some other things that are redundant or generally pointless.

Never chased game out west and not sure what to expect at 10-12k in late Sept weather wise so until I am there it’s just a guessing game as far as puffy, rain gear, shell, etc.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not super experienced as far as the med kit goes. Trying to err on the side of caution and pay a 2 pound penalty.
One way to trim a med kit is to take away anything your not trained to care for. Ask is there anything you do know how to care for that cant be improvised with common items used elsewhere.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Never chased game out west and not sure what to expect at 10-12k in late Sept weather wise so until I am there it’s just a guessing game as far as puffy, rain gear, shell, etc.
Monsoon season is over but it still can rain, sleet or snow. Just wouldn’t expect heavy downpours. Temperatures can be teens to seventies. Sun will make 50 feel like 70, shade will be cool-cold in the morning. You will warm up fast hiking, start off dressed feeling cool so you don’t overheat and sweat.

TaperPin

WKR
I’m not super experienced as far as the med kit goes. Trying to err on the side of caution and pay a 2 pound penalty. But I am going to change the package it’s in and cut some other things that are redundant or generally pointless.

As others have said, warm days, a touch of frost is always possible. Weather patterns vary, but often patchy at worst, usually quite nice. A waterproof shell and light weight rain pants are standard equipment year round - a small front with hail followed by a few hours of rain can make for a cold time even in September. Always check weather before going into the high country for large fronts - if you have to cross an ankle deep creek that drains a large drainage, it can be waist deep by evening with a heavy downpour, and ankle deep again in a day.

TaperPin

WKR
Here’s a September storm in Colorado - a big cold front from the north and an inch of rain in parts. Not typical, but not rare.493A2627-0350-4B92-83DE-C37B69F943CD.jpeg

Marble

WKR

It's a good idea to have some of that stuff. The puffy, rain gear, and first aid kit. But you are taking extra stuff. Think, bare minimum.

I've seen this in the past with inexperienced guys. The good thing is thames have extra stuff. The bad thing is, they get smoked after a few days on the mountain and then need to take days off, get discouraged and then go home.

For your kill kit, rubber gloves, havalon type knife, paracord, zip ties, tag. You do not need a saw of any type. Get a twin bladed folding knife and leave the sharpener at home. Or just carry a small pocket knife and make sure it is sharp when you leave camp.

Listen to the advice here. Guys like me and several others have 30+ years of back country hunting.

Don't pack your fears.

If you really enjoy your hunt this year, focus on getting some lighter gear.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
You could get an exo or a stone glacier, triple your volume while cutting the pack weight in half.

A tarp is lighter than rain gear, and it can
get you out of the sun too. Further, I just don't see the need in rain pants on a September day hunt. Wear your gaiters if wx calls for it.

You don't need a soft-shell vest, especially if you've got the rain-gear top.

Grunt tube and thermacell should stay in the eastern timezone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
I wouldn’t hunt with a partner that didn’t have rain gear - when it’s spitting rain on and off I’m still hunting and have no interest in sitting under a tarp. In the past I’ve called a day short many times when an unprepared partner was cold, wet, out of food, out of water, or worn out and missed his mommy - finally I’ve simply suggested unprepared friends hunt by themselves or with someone else.

Writing this, it just dawned on me everything I’ve said in prior posts has been assuming you’re in really good shape and are planning on getting in significant distance each day. If you can’t carry a 30 lb pack all day and still have enough legs to go where you want, then maybe what I’ve suggested is too much. When hunting from the road a typical area is a 3-5 mile hump into where deer hunting begins, then we hunt. Some areas are closer, but road hunting is a major disadvantage to begin with because you can’t be on top at first light and staying within a mile or two keeps you right with the majority of other road hunters.

Typical high country mule deer bucks aren’t bedding or hanging out down low with the does and fawns, but like to be up high looking down - unless you’re up to the level of the preferred bedding areas it’s an expensive hiking trip, not a hunting trip. I see road hunters every year that stop a mile short of some of the best mule deer hunting in the state - in a zone that after a dozen years worth of scouting and hunting has never produced an old deer, or even a mature buck of any kind. Of course there are large areas without any prominent ridges and old deer are more uniformly scattered in with does and younger deer, but I wouldn’t hunt there unless forced to. :)