Load Development ?'s (Noob thread)

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
Brand new to reloading. I have purchased several manuals and have been reading them as well as watching a lot of youtube on the subject. I have a few questions about load development.

I have seen a few videos on the "ladder" method. I am interested in this at the moment. Assuming I start 2 grains below the max load for a powder.

Questions:

1. If doing the ladder would you test all 1/10ths from your starting point up to the maximum load, or would you stop once you found great consistency?

I originally wanted to test 3 bullets. Focusing on learning what I am doing with just 1 to start obviously. Many other great options to add this list but this is a starting point for me.

Hornady 147 ELDM
Hornady 143 ELDX
Nosler 140 Accubonds

2. Would you run this same test for multiple bullets IF you find something that works really well prior to testing them all, or even say the first bullet tested?

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I normally do a load at max charge then drop .5 grains, then drop .5 grains. Load 3-5 rounds at each and go shoot. I start shooting low to high looking for pressure and accuracy. If nothing looks good then I typically will change powders or bullets and repeat. If I find a load that’s acceptable I load 10-20 at that charge and go shoot them.

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
I normally do a load at max charge then drop .5 grains, then drop .5 grains. Load 3-5 rounds at each and go shoot. I start shooting low to high looking for pressure and accuracy. If nothing looks good then I typically will change powders or bullets and repeat. If I find a load that’s acceptable I load 10-20 at that charge and go shoot them.

Does this method require a chrono?

1. Typically, you would load them in .3-.5 grain increments. Yes, shoot all the way up to max unless pressure sign in recognized. It's not uncommon to come across two different "nodes" within the same ladder tests. If you stop shooting after the first node, you could be missing out on a node at a higher velocity.

2. Yes, you would want to run this test individually for each projectile.

Those three projectiles are good choices to start. I'm assuming your loading 6.5 Creedmoor? What are your plans with the rifle? Hunting? Target shooting?

With the ladder test, a chrono is crucial in my opinion. It's possible that two bullets impact close to each other by chance but having a chrono that verifies consistent velocity helps validate that you have found a node. Does that make sense?

OP
W

wilkINkc

Lil-Rokslider
1. Typically, you would load them in .3-.5 grain increments. Yes, shoot all the way up to max unless pressure sign in recognized. It's not uncommon to come across two different "nodes" within the same ladder tests. If you stop shooting after the first node, you could be missing out on a node at a higher velocity.

2. Yes, you would want to run this test individually for each projectile.

Those three projectiles are good choices to start. I'm assuming your loading 6.5 Creedmoor? What are your plans with the rifle? Hunting? Target shooting?

With the ladder test, a chrono is crucial in my opinion. It's possible that two bullets impact close to each other by chance but having a chrono that verifies consistent velocity helps validate that you have found a node. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the info. I have a Begara Ridge Carbon Wilderness in 6.5 PRC. 24 inch 1:8 threaded with a brake from the factory.

I have ordered a chrono because I felt it necessary for how I wanted to go about load development.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I load 3 rounds 0.5 grain below book max, at book max, and 0.5 grain above book max. I load them to the test COAL and get great accuracy for whatever bullet I choose to shoot. No sense in doing smaller increment changes than 0.5 grain. I never shoot new loads without a chrono. There’s really no reason not too.

I just finished a 6.5 PRC build and started load development myself. In love with the cartridge so far. I’m working with the 127 LRX and 130 CX. Just finished the ladder test with H1000 and found some good potential loads. Gonna load up the nodes and get to the range soon to see how it goes.

As a self-declared noob preparing to reload for your rifle the first time, especially with a hunting rifle, I think looking at ladders, minor changes in powder load, etc is too complicated. At this point, you just need to make decent ammo and go shoot. Then tweak and fine tune as/if needed later (it probably won't be, though).

Check this out: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/painless-load-development-mine.238400/

You’re trying to use the satterlee method. I’ve tried it, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I followed the painless development thread on the last one and it worked out. I would pick a manual, drop a grain from max and shoot it. Go .3 up and down and see what happens. You’ll should see some results with that

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Does this method require a chrono?

I wasn’t very clear that I continue to go over max load until I see signs of pressure then back down .5 grain. I am looking for the most accurate highest grain load.

I have seen a lot of friends get hung up on the chrono results and get fixated on trying all kinds of minor tweeks trying to make the fastest load with the worst accuracy better and sometimes they probably succeed but I don’t want to spend that much time trying to tweak a load when I’m the biggest variable, but some guys really get into it and to each there own.

For my range validation I use the listed velocity from the closest matching grain weight and input that into a ballistic calculator to get the drop chart, then I use a target with a water mark to compare what the drop chart is telling me and what the actual bullet drop is at varying ranges. These are shot with 10 rounds minimum. I will then adjust my listed MZ in the BC until the two results both are matching as close as possible.

I am no expert at reloading or LD but it was how I was taught. The thing to remember is you have to be open to try new techniques so listen to everyone and find the path that best fits you. Good luck.

There is definitely something to be said about that link to the “painless load development”. It’s a really good read. When I got into reloading, I thought I needed to do all the hocus pocus and rain dances but quickly realized I could cut out most of that and still shoot small groups. For me the ladder test is less about finding a node and more about finding my max load. Pick a good powder, a good projectile, and a couple of powder charges towards the top of your max, seat a bullet, and shoot it. I even seat mine at book length. Don’t touch it unless I have too.

I’ve been loading for over a decade and I still feel like a noob.

I look at various manuals and look for similarities around max loads for the projectiles I want to use, and the corresponding velocities, adjusted for barrel length.

Then I select a powder that provides the velocity I want at close to 98% (or so) case fill. I don’t like compressed loads, nor do I want a variable powder column.

I load 3 at max, minus .5 grains, and minus .5 more, then fire them over a chrono to confirm velocity compared to published data. I also look at the brass for ejector marks.

If no ejector marks I go with the highest velocity and create a seating depth test via the Berger method.

I do 4 rounds, 5 iterations. It’s never failed.

Most recently, my brother’s 6.5 PRC.

IMG_2620.jpeg

The load he selected

IMG_2639.jpeg

It works for me.

P