Little Kowa review, the cheap one- TSN-501/502???

Ztm91

FNG
I have the 502 and might consider selling them if interested. I am leaning to go with just 12x binos and leave all other optics at home.
Sorry to exhume this old thread but I ended up here looking for reviews of the 502 as I was looking to buy a cheap lightweight spotter to mess around with this year before I eventually buy a Kowa 554. Did you ever end up getting rid of that 502? (I would’ve sent a PM but don’t have privileges yet as I am new).

180ls1

WKR
Sorry to exhume this old thread but I ended up here looking for reviews of the 502 as I was looking to buy a cheap lightweight spotter to mess around with this year before I eventually buy a Kowa 554. Did you ever end up getting rid of that 502? (I would’ve sent a PM but don’t have privileges yet as I am new).

I've got one for $250 to your door if you want it. Its great for what it is, as long as you don't expect too much from it given the price and weight.

dony

FNG
I have a 502 (straight) that I'd gladly let go -- but I wouldn't recommend it. Just get the 554 or a swaro STC straight away. Not worth wasting your time to mess around with the 502 to be honest. For example, I find it's barely useful at the gun range past 200 yards. For archery to 80, it works. I try to mess around with it occasionally at the truck but I never put it in my backpack because I know it won't help with finding game. It has a very narrow field of view and lacks resolution. I used an STC to find an elk at 2.5 miles, it was immediately visible when I panned past it on the mountainside, and I could see the antlers and all. I put the 502 on a tripod next to it and I could not even see that the elk had antlers at all. I compared the two scopes at each of their zoom levels. (I find 20-25x worked best -- so I'm gonna try some sig image stabilizers and maybe forget scopes altogether). Another time, I found deer at 800 yards with good 8x binos on a tripod. I tried the 502 and could not break them out in the low morning light. Once the sun rose more I tried to pick apart the cover with the 502 but could not discern stick from hide although I knew the deer were there. I have heard the 554 is comparable to the STC, but the vortex lightweight spotter also had good reviews. The 502 is good enough to mess around with, but doesn't make anything look better than good binos on a tripod in my opinion. And it's easier for me to find things using binos.

Ztm91

FNG
I have a 502 (straight) that I'd gladly let go -- but I wouldn't recommend it. Just get the 554 or a swaro STC straight away. Not worth wasting your time to mess around with the 502 to be honest. For example, I find it's barely useful at the gun range past 200 yards. For archery to 80, it works. I try to mess around with it occasionally at the truck but I never put it in my backpack because I know it won't help with finding game. It has a very narrow field of view and lacks resolution. I used an STC to find an elk at 2.5 miles, it was immediately visible when I panned past it on the mountainside, and I could see the antlers and all. I put the 502 on a tripod next to it and I could not even see that the elk had antlers at all. I compared the two scopes at each of their zoom levels. (I find 20-25x worked best -- so I'm gonna try some sig image stabilizers and maybe forget scopes altogether). Another time, I found deer at 800 yards with good 8x binos on a tripod. I tried the 502 and could not break them out in the low morning light. Once the sun rose more I tried to pick apart the cover with the 502 but could not discern stick from hide although I knew the deer were there. I have heard the 554 is comparable to the STC, but the vortex lightweight spotter also had good reviews. The 502 is good enough to mess around with, but doesn't make anything look better than good binos on a tripod in my opinion. And it's easier for me to find things using binos.
Thank you for the feedback and all the information. I really appreciate it. I did move to a pair of Swaro 8.5x42 EL binos this year. So I'll be using those on a tripod most of the time. I think I will take your advice and save up for the Kowa 554.

Ztm91

FNG
I've got one for $250 to your door if you want it. Its great for what it is, as long as you don't expect too much from it given the price and weight.
Thank you for the response. Thinking about it more I think I will save up and go with the 554.

Carr5vols

WKR
Yes sold it to a guy on here...