Listen and Win a Hoyt Carbon Bow

S.Tx

FNG
It's nice to know a little cam lean can be ok. I over obsessed with cam lean one week before an elk hunt in Wy; probably pressed the bow and twisted/untwisted 50 times, but could never get it perfect.
Moral: don't wait until the last minute to fine tune!

MT Bill

FNG
Great information, I picked up quite a bit. The information about cam lean being acceptable was insightful, as were quite a few little other factors: D-loop material, facial contact, 3rd axis and more.

Mckinnon

WKR
I always thought split limbs were always a fashion factor, I know better now. And I now know that I really need to get my 3rd axis nailed down.

ftothfadd

Lil-Rokslider
Wow, after listening to the podcast, it makes me wonder how I can hit anything I aim at. It almost makes me feel I am just lucky ;-) Not much yoke tuning or 3rd axis leveling until now here...

An important take away, I think, is torque. Torque was mentioned several times and in different aspects ranging from positioning sights, form, cam lean, etc. A major contributor to arrows flying "scatiwompus" is from canting the bow, or the cams not timed or offset to compensate for residual torque. It's no wonder why Hoyt designed the ZT series of bows to minimize this variable to help out with bow mechanics.

I am currently in the process of tuning a new bow. The whole aspect of torque being explained was great. I never understood why my sight pins were always to the left of the arrow.

Manosteel

WKR
Excellent basic info on bow set up. the information on cam lean and timing was interesting, while I like my Hoyts 1/16" advanced on top might play with a more even timing.

flyinsquirel

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Since I'm a total newb to archery; still searching for my first bow, I'm quickly learning how much I don't know. I had to laugh when he said a little cam lean was a good thing and AT was the devil. 3rd axis was very interesting along with bow torque. I fiinally found something to relate to those physics classes I was forced to take in college.

hoytcs34

FNG
Great example using the "straw" to describe FOC! I will be listening to this podcast repeatedly for awhile. Too much info for one drive! I will say that the mic's may need some tweaking though. Steve's voice only came through my left speaker, and Matt through the right haha!

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
As someone who is completely new to archery, it was all beneficial. Great setup information and tips for someone to get it right from the get go.

Very informative. I've never worried about the 3rd axis before. thinking now i should. I liked the info about fixed pin sights and sliders. I shoot a single pin slider but I am thinking of switching to a 3 pin slider now. I have been playing around with 2 blade broad heads vs. 3 blade for a while now and i am leaning towards 2 blade again. Liked the info on FOC and arrow spine as well because I shoot a heavy arrow and a stiffer spined arrow too.

Learned a lot about torque and how it affects different bow setups. That may be why my third axis is so hard to set on my z7 extreme.

ridgefire

WKR
I learned quite a few things listening to the podcast. Biggest thing is that i need a new bow, my 08 katera is outdated even though it still kills elk. I never realized that their was so much torque in a bow and also the whole 3rd axis info was interesting as well. Thanks for the great podcast.

cwm

FNG
Technology has improved

Great podcast! The one takeaway for me was that bow technology has improved significantly since 2009. That should be obvious, but it's something I haven't considered. I shot a Hoyt XT 2000 for one season. I shot it fine but did not like the soft wall. I ditched the Hoyt for a Bowtech Allegiance, then a 2008 Bowtech 101st Airborne. The 101 has been a great bow, and it's what I currently shoot several years & several strings later. Hearing a Hoyt person say that Hoyt has made significant technological advances may make me at least pick up a Hoyt at the bow shop instead of walking past them like I did last week before listening to this podcast.

Lots of learning tools! I enjoyed the rolling the arrows in the kitchen cabinets. Learning the bridge riser on the Hoyt stiffens it. I knew the 3rd axis sight info but you always pick up on something different and he helped me understand on doing it when you are just setting it up, not after you are fully set up.

Riplip

WKR
Great information for both begginner and expert a like, actually listened to it twice. Really liked the info on hand position and grip and its effect on torque and consistency. Great info for me personal as I tend to over grip the bow.

Being a St. Louis guy I am partial to Hoyt as they were originally made in St. Louis, in fact my Dad bought his first recurve from Earl Hoyt at his store in N. St. Louis county way back in the day.

mak

FNG
The '50 foot low trick' is a great tip. Seems like it would calm the nerves in a closer situation. Nice podcast fellas. Thanks