Lining up a packer??

luckydraw2014

Lil-Rokslider
I have never used a packer and wondering what yall would recommend for lining one up just in case a elk cooperates.

- Find a local outfitter and slip em a couple Ben Franklin just to be available for a call?
- Donate some cash to anyone who happens to have horses in the area?

You likely can't hire just anyone with horses, they would have to be a licensed outfitter.

I would call the National Forest where you'll be hunting and ask for a list of licensed outfitters, and then call them.

If you're not hunting forest then I'd try the game warden, see who he/she recommends.

OP
luckydraw2014

luckydraw2014

Lil-Rokslider
You likely can't hire just anyone with horses, they would have to be a licensed outfitter.

I would call the National Forest where you'll be hunting and ask for a list of licensed outfitters, and then call them.

If you're not hunting forest then I'd try the game warden, see who he/she recommends.
Thanks for the good advice on calling local area. I wouldnt hire a local...be more of a "is this your wallet with $500.00 in it" LOL

mntnguide

WKR
Depending on where your hunting, many times outfitters aren't going to even consider it. They are busy with their own stuff and don't have man power to be waiting for your phone call when you need them. And, going rate for an elk packout is gonna cost you a lot more than just a couple hundred if you do find one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
The licensed CO outfitter/packer a friend uses is up to $800 now. Still have to pack it to his designated trail and he rarely shows up on time if at all. Half the time (or more) we get a message to come help out because the packer didn’t show up. I personally have never bothered with one because of cost and hassle.

ndbuck09

WKR
Best bet is to start doing step ups with 70 lbs and think about where and how far in you are killing an elk. And be ready for 20 hours of hauling.

Poser

WKR
Looked into this once. The outfitter for the area said $300 a horse, 3 horse minimum and required a 50% deposit to hold a spot. He didn’t seemed concerned with mileage and never bothered to respond to my inquires about how to handle the deposit. Unless you are using an outfitter for a primary service such as a drop camp or guided hunt, you’re not going to be priority and them even showing up within a day or 2 of you pinging them is probably questionable during a prime time season.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
There will likely only be a couple options and like Dos Perros said, a quick call to the Forrest Service can tell you who those options are.

If you do find one that tells you he'll do it make sure you have a plan B and don't shoot an elk further than you can get out with plan B. I've hired packers in CO a couple of times and had good experiences but I helped my brother on a moose hunt in ID a few years ago and had a packer all lined up before season. When he killed a bull 3 miles from the truck I called the packer and he said he was now too busy. That wasn't a fun 2 days.

As a licensed outfitter I packed an elk out for a hunter once who wasn’t a client. It was sitting right on a pack trail only 1.5 hours from the trailhead and all downhill or flat. And she was a really cute California girl. I only charged her $200. I doubt you’ll meet any of those criteria so yeah… you best get the backpack ready! Lol 😂

What season are you hunting? Ill be tied up in September unless the elk cooperate early for me, but I am from down the street in Woodstock, and live in Denver. I have legs.

Call the outfitter(s) in your area ahead of time to see if they will entertain it and how much they would charge. Then be prepared to haul it out on your back anyway because even if they're receptive to the idea, they may not be available when you need them. Most have a policy that they won't take their pack animals off established trails; it will be up to you to get the meat/antlers/cape from the kill site to a trail.

mmac

WKR
One year I was solo I called a local trail ride I saw when I was in the area. He said they did it all the time, told me it was $500 for less than 5 miles and went up from there. Gave me his cell and dates and unfortunately didn't need it. But was a great guy about it.

Jaquomo

WKR
First (and last) time I had a reliable packer lined up, when I texted him he replied back that he had to go to a different state for a couple weeks for a job, and apologized for forgetting to tell me...

OP
luckydraw2014

luckydraw2014

Lil-Rokslider
What season are you hunting? Ill be tied up in September unless the elk cooperate early for me, but I am from down the street in Woodstock, and live in Denver. I have legs.
I am heading out Sept 6th, heading to Denver. Still haven't nailed down my units, was in West Elk 2 years ago...it was a zoo of horses and trailers. Most likely will run N of the 70 corridor like the other 3MM hunters.