Limit on meat brought back into USA from Canada?

WCB

WKR
If that's the case, one would think it a simple matter in this age of technology, to get a memo to all border crossings, spelling out the correct procedure.
Hahaha...it's the government...simple and correct are their Kryptonite

Hahaha...it's the government...simple and correct are their Kryptonite
Yeah, true.
I have an Alberta moose hunt coming up in 5 weeks. I'm going to call the crossings in Portal, ND and Sweet Grass Montana to see what their position is. It's really going to suck if I drive 5 days each way just to bring back 50 lbs of meat.

Just got off the phone with my outfitter we are going moose hunting with. He spoke with both the USDA and USFWS. USFWS service says there should be no issues as the rule was written for game farm situations when hunting is mentioned but it is not defined as that on the site. USFWS recommends entering at a border crossing with USFWS representative posted there 24/7 to avoid any confusion. If there is not a USFWS rep on site at the time of crossing and only a USDA inspector...the USDA will probably go by written word on their site. This was sort of confirmed by the discussion with USDA when the person on the phone was adamite that anything over 50lbs was commercial use whether it was wildlife or not. However, USFWS has authority over wildlife and they will allow properly declared wild game meat and trophies in as has been done historically.

I am waiting for the letter from the USFWS to print out and bring with me "just in case" along with the list of crossing points with a USFWS rep their at all times.
Would you have a link to a site with the actual written word from USFW? I ve been searching, but can't find anything on 24 hr USFW manned sites or the text. I would appreciate it very much.

OP
GeorgeShaw
Just got off the phone with my outfitter we are going moose hunting with. He spoke with both the USDA and USFWS. USFWS service says there should be no issues as the rule was written for game farm situations when hunting is mentioned but it is not defined as that on the site. USFWS recommends entering at a border crossing with USFWS representative posted there 24/7 to avoid any confusion. If there is not a USFWS rep on site at the time of crossing and only a USDA inspector...the USDA will probably go by written word on their site. This was sort of confirmed by the discussion with USDA when the person on the phone was adamite that anything over 50lbs was commercial use whether it was wildlife or not. However, USFWS has authority over wildlife and they will allow properly declared wild game meat and trophies in as has been done historically.

I am waiting for the letter from the USFWS to print out and bring with me "just in case" along with the list of crossing points with a USFWS rep their at all times.
Repost again when you do. I'd like to get a copy of that if possible. I'm a year away, but trying to get these details done now. Thank you

WCB

WKR
Would you have a link to a site with the actual written word from USFW? I ve been searching, but can't find anything on 24 hr USFW manned sites or the text. I would appreciate it very much.
My outfitter is sending me a letter/email from USFW along with a list of entry points. He said looking over the list there were 2 in ND (didn't call them by name) As we will cross through Portal more than likely even more so if they are on the list.

We are also heading to Alberta last week of September for Moose.

Correction to the above. There is one in ND (Pembina) Also, looks like Sweet Grass is on the list. Here it is:https://www.fws.gov/sites/default/f...fe-trade-wildlife-inspection-offices-2024.pdf

Also, attached is a clip right off the FWS page about fish and wildlife entries

Not saying these are the only places you CAN bring them in...but according to the USFWS employee spoken to, she recommends it as this will avoid any confusion as apposed to a place with only a USDA inspector on site. Again, this is not legal advice but for me it is about 20minutes longer to go to Pembina vs Portal...worth it if it potentially avoids a headache.

Attachments

• FWS.JPG
    FWS.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
My outfitter is sending me a letter/email from USFW along with a list of entry points. He said looking over the list there were 2 in ND (didn't call them by name) As we will cross through Portal more than likely even more so if they are on the list.

We are also heading to Alberta last week of September for Moose.

Correction to the above. There is one in ND (Pembina) Also, looks like Sweet Grass is on the list. Here it is:https://www.fws.gov/sites/default/f...fe-trade-wildlife-inspection-offices-2024.pdf

Also, attached is a clip right off the FWS page about fish and wildlife entries

Not saying these are the only places you CAN bring them in...but according to the USFWS employee spoken to, she recommends it as this will avoid any confusion as apposed to a place with only a USDA inspector on site. Again, this is not legal advice but for me it is about 20minutes longer to go to Pembina vs Portal...worth it if it potentially avoids a headache.
Thanks, so much, for the info!
I'll be leaving FL on 9/25, and start my hunt 10/1 in Falher, which is about an hour south of Peace River. Whether I go across at Pembina or Sweet Grass, it looks like travel time is the same at 48 hrs, or so. However, travel time in Canada will be way less from Sweet Grass than from Pembina, saving lots on Canadian fuel cost.
Thanks again for the help.

WCB

WKR
Thanks, so much, for the info!
I'll be leaving FL on 9/25, and start my hunt 10/1 in Falher, which is about an hour south of Peace River. Whether I go across at Pembina or Sweet Grass, it looks like travel time is the same at 48 hrs, or so. However, travel time in Canada will be way less from Sweet Grass than from Pembina, saving lots on Canadian fuel cost.
Thanks again for the help.
I'm guessing we will enter through Portal then come back through Pembina. Unless of course we fill out early and have and extra day or two may go down through Sweet Grass and try to fill one of my MT tags.

We'll be just NW of Edmonton.

I talked with US Customs in Pembina on Wednesday this week and I was told that there is no issue bringing my moose meat across the border...no 50# limit. The agent said he talked to his supervisor before calling me back and that's the official word from them. They told me to cross at Pembina to avoid any issues but if crossing in Portal and they give me any issues to call Pembina...he gave me an email letter with this in writing with a phone number. I'm going with that when I cross if I have moose meat.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
Came back from NL in ‘22 with 3 120qt freezers full… nary a question as to “how much” was there…
Headed back this year and want the same freezers full again. Customs took maybe 10 minutes to clear…

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I just returned from a trip to Alaska. We drove and crossed over into Canada at the Sumas crossing in Washington. We declared our rifles and ammo and paid the fees required. It took about 10 minutes for the agent to process our paperwork and passports and inspect our guns, and we were off. When we got to Alaska we crossed over at the ALCAN crossing and there were no issues. They checked our passports and let us through.

Coming home was a similar situation. When we left Alaska, we filled out the “export” paperwork for our meat. The agents didn’t even look it over. He said he didn’t care because it wasn’t his job and if the USFWS cared they would have someone there inspecting vehicles. He said they never received training about it and that he just puts it in an envelope and mails it. It was a pretty funny conversation.

When we entered back into Canada, the agent inspected our passports, asked the vehicle license plate number, reviewed our gun declaration forms, and looked at the USFWS meat export form and that was it. We were through. No inspections of any kind.

Entering back into Washington the guy asked for the same paperwork and said that we may need to fill out an “import” form since we were importing it back into the states. He confirmed with a more veteran agent, who kind of him hawed around, and said, no, they’re good. He said, welcome home, and we drove on.

Overall it was a very simple process. In all, border crossings took maybe 15-20 minutes in total and only one inspection. None of which were of meat. Not one person looked or even cared.

I don't see any problems crossing the border with moose meat, elk, caribou, etc. I've had the USDA get back with me and said the 50# limit does not pertain to wild game meat and that they are going to change the wording they currently use as it was written years ago. Every agency I've contacted said no issues coming back to US with over 50# of moose meat, etc.