Limit on meat brought back into USA from Canada?

I'm already in discussion with outfitters about booking a hunt in 2025, and I'm researching restrictions on things like bones, etc, and I start seeing 50# limits on meat! What? I've been telling everyone that I'm going to have a years supply of red moose meat, and I'm only allowed 50 pounds? Is this true? Please tell me it's not. I'm torn now as what to do.

I have not either. Are you flying? Maybe they are referring to how much each box of meat can weigh for shipping purposes for the airline. That would make more sense for the 50# rule.

What JJ said. I have never heard there being a weight limit on meat. General airline rules are 50# max per box (extra fees upon fees for more, I know this). A big moose might be 10 or more. If you're flying, look at the airlines freight service, or if from somewhere AK airlines flies look into their freight service.

Last edited:
When I was guiding in BC, we loaded you up! But to a max of 50lbs/box and it had to be airline approved.

I would call the airlines. Depending on where you are, you can look at airline freight. My buddy come up and visits/hunts with me every year and he takes home his meat with Air Canada Cargo. Max is 60 lbs and it is cheaper than taking it on the flight. Some dry ice and well packed airline proof boxes (he uses Tupperware 60 litre I think) and they are still frozen a couple days later.

Phone around for cargo prices and see what they can do.

If driving, then a different story as you can take it all home with you!!

Cheers

SS

When I was guiding in BC, we loaded you up! But to a max of 50lbs/box and it had to be airline approved.

I would call the airlines. Depending on where you are, you can look at airline freight. My buddy come up and visits/hunts with me every year and he takes home his meat with Air Canada Cargo. Max is 60 lbs and it is cheaper than taking it on the flight. Some dry ice and well packed airline proof boxes (he uses Tupperware 60 litre I think) and they are still frozen a couple days later.

Phone around for cargo prices and see what they can do.

If driving, then a different story as you can take it all home with you!!

Cheers

SS
I am driving from Ohio to NF, and back. From what I read it's not an airline issue, but a US import restriction. It says 50lb is the limit of what they concider personal use. Anything over that is conciderd commercial, and that's even with documentation that it's hunt harvested game cervid.

In 2010 and 2012 we brought hundreds of pounds back in a chest freezer in the bed of our truck. Just declared it at border and filled out some paperwork. Also had hides and racks.

Don't know if things changed or not.

We were just in BC this past October and flew back with 300 pounds of moose meat without a single problem.

A friend of mine killed a moose in Canada and the guide wouldn't fly out his meat.....even though they had a t otter. The guide told him "that's how we feed our bears".

Hopefully you don't have the same outfit as the meat portion was just the tip of the iceberg for the letdowns he had.

Its been a while and rules may of changed - but in 2008 I drove from Alaska back to Washington with about 200lbs of moose meat. The Canadians at the Alaskan border seemed to care less, the Americans at the Washington border simply wanted to see the harvest tag and the meat in coolers.

Can you tell where you are getting this info on the 50 lb limit? I know a number of guys who have brought back many times that much just in the last few years. A guy I know back in WI goes to Manitoba (I think) every other year or so for moose and last year got a huge bull and a VERY large black bear and brought back 500+ lbs.

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of where the 50# comes from is what you want to pack boxes for flying?

We flew back with 6 coolers weighing exactly 50 pounds each so we didn’t have to pay oversized baggage fees?

On a 2016 hunting trip to northern Alberta, myself and 5 buddies brought back 3 moose and a black bear completely boned out, frozen and in chest freezers and heavy duty totes….all in a 16’ enclosed trailer…our total wait at the border was less than 5 minutes. At the border we pulled out of line into the inspection lane voluntarily and we walked inside to declare our firearms/capes/meat etc. The Customs/Border Patrol officer asked if we had a good trip and declined to inspect anything and said “welcome home fellas, drive home safe”.

Same limitations coming back from mexico with Fish. We drive across the border with 100-200lbs of fish often and have never had an issue. I do believe tho, "technically" 50 lbs is the max

Unless something changed this year I think you are fine. My dad and I drove back last year with 2 moose and a bear and didn’t have any issues.

I drove back from Newfoundland this past season with a chest freezer full and no issues. Provided my license and such and came right through.

Can you tell where you are getting this info on the 50 lb limit? I know a number of guys who have brought back many times that much just in the last few years. A guy I know back in WI goes to Manitoba (I think) every other year or so for moose and last year got a huge bull and a VERY large black bear and brought back 500+ lbs.
I was doing an online search actually to see if there were restrictions on bringing back some bones to make stock, and pulled up an USDA page that said you are allowed to bring back cervix meat(elk, moose, etc) with a valid hunting license, and a limit of 50lb per vehicle.

Back