Like to Find a CO Elk Hunting Buddy for Sep 2021

Diablo

FNG
Hey y'all. First post here but I've been reading thru tons of threads, this site is a great resource.

Quick intro; I'm 37, married, 2 kids. I have been bow hunting for 15 plus years. I'm currently active duty Army since 2007, 2 deployments to Afghanistan. I'm stationed at Fort Hood TX which is in central TX. I'm a helicopter mechanic by MOS but right now I ride horses for the Army, full time. It's as awesome as it sounds. In pretty good shape and have hunted in Illinois, Tennessee, Virginia, Texas, and Alaska (White Mountains and Brooks range).

I'm posting to see if anyone wants to link up for an OTC archery elk hunt in early September 2021. This will be my first elk hunt and I plan to do a backpack hunt. I'm not looking for a guide or someone to take me to their honey hole, just another guy like me that enjoys the hunt (tag punched or not) and will put in some hard work and long days. I'm looking to hunt the first 2 weeks of archery season this year in an OTC area.

I've been to CO once for 30 days of high altitude training at Fort Carson, Pikes Peak area, so I do know what the altitude does to your fitness level. I've never scouted any areas in person, just via satellite.

My initial plan is to not commit to 1 specific area, but rather identify 2 or 3 areas I think are worth checking out. I plan on having the bulk of my supplies in my truck and spending 2 or 3 nights out a few miles from the truck. Come back to the truck to either resupply or relocate. I'm open to anything though, especially advice from the been there done that crowd.

Thanks for reading and any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Diablo is the name of my military horse in my avatar.

Gerbdog

WKR
Firstly, Thank you for your service. Secondly, awesome horse.

As to the elk hunting plan, i think you got the right idea and if i was going to recommend a hunting plan to someone looking to find elk their first year hunting CO i would recommend what you are doing, stay mobile and dont get hung up on one spot/location unless your into elk.

I cant say what my hunting plans are this year yet until draw results come out but even if for some reason you dont find a hunting partner i wouldnt let it discourage you from getting it done. You got the right idea and the rest of it is just boots on the ground learning and some luck.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Welcome 👍

I’m sure you will find a good, like minded hunting partner. I have become good friends with an Army guy I hunted with from rockslide. You may find a better fit with a brother in arms, but there are some animal slaying civilians hanging around here as well.
I’d give you an invite, but I don’t hunt CO. Enjoy the hunt! 🇺🇸👍

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
I think your on the right track, but I would have 8-10 places scouted. Otc has become a zoo and finding animals anywhere can be tough. If your lookin to hunt 14 days, that’s an overnight in 7 different locations. It very well could take that amount of time. Stay the course, an elk hunt can change in a minutes time. I’m no expert, but I avoid trailheads at all costs

OP
Diablo

Diablo

FNG
Thanks for the replies, the info, and the encouragement.

I'm looking at the Pikes Peak area a lot. I'm under the impression that early archery elk will be at or above the treeline due to temperature.

If anyone has advice or places to avoid, better access etc, and would be willing to help an active duty guy who doesn’t have the luxury of pre season scouting, please shoot me a PM

Last edited:

Gerbdog

WKR
Thanks for the replies, the info, and the encouragement.

I'm looking at the Pikes Peak area a lot. I'm under the impression that early archery elk will be at or above the treeline due to temperature.

If anyone has advice or places to avoid, better access etc, and would be willing to help an active duty guy who doesn’t have the luxury of pre season scouting, please shoot me a PM
Heck i was gonna write a post also agreeing that pikes peak area is best avoided for better OTC units but then got to thinking about it and realized just because i cant find the elk around pikes peak doesnt mean there arent elk around pikes peak. I have a friend who tagged a big bull during archery in the area and i've had gentlemen out at the archery range swear up and down they tag out every year in the area so.... as i said, just because i cant find them doesnt mean they arent there. I can say ive put in boot leather on pikes peak, off the trails, and ive found more moose sign then elk sign, and the moose arent even supposed to be in big numbers in the area.

Buck197

WKR
So, as a veteran, God bless you for your service. Must be a first cav guy. I raise and train performance horses, life could sure be worse than doing what you're doing. Wishing you the best of luck in that archery hunt, and welcome to Rokslide, this place is awesome, loads of info and amazing people here. Make sure and check out some of the videos.

OP
Diablo

Diablo

FNG
Heck i was gonna write a post also agreeing that pikes peak area is best avoided for better OTC units but then got to thinking about it and realized just because i cant find the elk around pikes peak doesnt mean there arent elk around pikes peak. I have a friend who tagged a big bull during archery in the area and i've had gentlemen out at the archery range swear up and down they tag out every year in the area so.... as i said, just because i cant find them doesnt mean they arent there. I can say ive put in boot leather on pikes peak, off the trails, and ive found more moose sign then elk sign, and the moose arent even supposed to be in big numbers in the area.
I'm glad you put it that way. I will tell you that as long as I make it back home to TX healthy and in 1 piece, then I'll consider my first elk hunt a success. Of course I want to make a double lung shot on a monster bull but no matter what happens, I'll be learning. Thank you

Last edited:
OP
Diablo

Diablo

FNG
So, as a veteran, God bless you for your service. Must be a first cav guy. I raise and train performance horses, life could sure be worse than doing what you're doing. Wishing you the best of luck in that archery hunt, and welcome to Rokslide, this place is awesome, loads of info and amazing people here. Make sure and check out some of the videos.
First, thank you for your service sir. I couldn't be doing what I'm doing if it wasn't for guys like you and Team4LongGun serving before me. Thank you.
And yes, I'm first Cav. I'm in the Horse Cavalry Detachment and it is by far the best job in the Army. We travel the country and do parades and shows at rodeos and other events. We shoot balloons at a gallop with a 1873 Colt single action revolver and stab targets with an 1860 Light Cavalry Saber. They're gonna have to drag me out of there when my time is up hahaha.

Buck197

WKR
I used to hunt the unit North of there alot, and did good, veen a long minute alot can change, but given time and opportunity, the fellow saying there's better units is right. The unit I used to hunt held some good bulls and some big muleys, but alot of pressure to dodge and lower numbers. If it's near a city, everyone that can't get a full weeks vacation will probably be hunting that same unit on weekends, and that heavy of pressure for opening weekend can make it a tougher than normal.hunt.

DANJR

FNG
Thank you for your service. Fellow Texan now fortunate enough to live in CO. Baby on the way so archery is out for me this year, but just some friendly advice-elk near cities and large tracts of no hunting public land are smart. They go where they can't be hunted. (do some google searches of Evergreen and Estes Park during the fall). I'd recommend staying further south in the state unless you have a reason to head up this far north-shorter drive for you anyways. I'd pack in with the intention of staying a few days, but if you aren't seeing sign within day one, turn around and move somewhere else. You can't hunt them where they aren't so don't commit several days to an area where there aren't elk. That was the biggest mistake I learned my first year-don't over commit to an area. It takes some time in the woods to understand when you're seeing the amount of sign you should be to know they're in the area. They are where you find them. Finding watering holes/wallows on google earth, OnX, another mapping service and then checking them in person when you get there is often the easiest way to find if elk are in the area or not as you have a destination on your initial hike in. Best of luck this season!

I'm basically looking for the same. Will likely be hunting MT but CO is a possibility as well. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a like-minded partner.

Thanks for your service Diablo. We started in Colorado much the same way as your planning. I live in east Texas and have been hunting Colorado for 10+ years. I have only killed 2 elk. Takes time to find a good area then even more to learn it well. Key is find what there eating, yes pressure will push them around but they come back to their food. That said the deadfall in our area is horrible now. Add in hunting pressure has doubled in archery season since we started hunting there has made us decide to put in for limited rifle this year. You have the right mind set just know success rate is around 10% overall for archery. That means average hunter may get one every ten years. Another key we have learned is hunting pressured elk, looking for areas with no pressure could equate to looking where other hunters already know there's no elk. It's 2021, there is no part of Colrado without boot tracks!

dsayer

FNG
I'd say you could join our camp but we've been batting .000 the last four years in muzzleloader season. So you may want to consider other options... 😂
This is our first year doing archery and we're going to a different area.
The Blue Collar Elk Hunting guys just created a thing called Hunt Buddy I think that could be a good resource for finding a camp.

thejermo

FNG
Hey y'all. First post here but I've been reading thru tons of threads, this site is a great resource.

Quick intro; I'm 37, married, 2 kids. I have been bow hunting for 15 plus years. I'm currently active duty Army since 2007, 2 deployments to Afghanistan. I'm stationed at Fort Hood TX which is in central TX. I'm a helicopter mechanic by MOS but right now I ride horses for the Army, full time. It's as awesome as it sounds. In pretty good shape and have hunted in Illinois, Tennessee, Virginia, Texas, and Alaska (White Mountains and Brooks range).

I'm posting to see if anyone wants to link up for an OTC archery elk hunt in early September 2021. This will be my first elk hunt and I plan to do a backpack hunt. I'm not looking for a guide or someone to take me to their honey hole, just another guy like me that enjoys the hunt (tag punched or not) and will put in some hard work and long days. I'm looking to hunt the first 2 weeks of archery season this year in an OTC area.

I've been to CO once for 30 days of high altitude training at Fort Carson, Pikes Peak area, so I do know what the altitude does to your fitness level. I've never scouted any areas in person, just via satellite.

My initial plan is to not commit to 1 specific area, but rather identify 2 or 3 areas I think are worth checking out. I plan on having the bulk of my supplies in my truck and spending 2 or 3 nights out a few miles from the truck. Come back to the truck to either resupply or relocate. I'm open to anything though, especially advice from the been there done that crowd.

Thanks for reading and any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Diablo is the name of my military horse in my avatar.
Hey Diablo,

I am going out for a 30 day bear tag through September. My plans with my hunting buddy had to change this year. I am looking for someone to spend a few days with. I'm not sure what your plans ended up being for this season, but there are some Bear Tags available and I'd love to spend a couple days truck hunting next month. If you are still checking this thread let me know.