Lightweight Tree-stand for Rifle Hunting

ianpadron

WKR
I need some recommendations on climber tree stands for rifle hunting. I've looked at the Ultra light stuff from Lone Wolf and XOP, but can't imagine getting steady enough in one of those to reach out over 3-400 yards with a rifle. And yes, there are meadows and clear-cuts here that offer that kind of shooting. I guess that's important to note, the tree stand is only being utilized to be able to observe and shoot these big meadows, so stability and a built in rifle rest are key.

Most of my spots are a max of 3 miles in, so I'm not looking for the absolute lightest at the sacrifice of comfort, but I'd also like to avoid a 30-40 pound ultra comfy lazy boy in a tree...SO, I'm looking for a happy medium, comfy for an all day sit and occasional nap, stability for rifle hunting, but not ridiculously heavy....

Thoughts?

Drenalin

WKR
I liked Lone Wolf when I used treestands, but comfort goes to Summit. You can add an adjustable gun rest to a lot (maybe most) of their models. Last I remember, the Summit should check in under 30 pounds, but I don't think you're going below 20, especially with a gun rest.

Summit viper, or if you need a little more room like myself, the Goliath or Titan. I prefer the Titan because they "nest" together better with the bottom being bigger like the top.

fey

FNG
I don't have a climber suggestion for you as the only stands I've used are ladders. Have you tried a saddle? You control your tether length to let you get any angle all the way around the tree, then use your weight/foot/knees to lock in a stable base, and you've got the tree to use as your rest.

Either way you could consider using a strap or screw in steps/hooks on the tree to work as a rest instead of your offhand against the tree.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I don't have a climber suggestion for you as the only stands I've used are ladders. Have you tried a saddle? You control your tether length to let you get any angle all the way around the tree, then use your weight/foot/knees to lock in a stable base, and you've got the tree to use as your rest.

Either way you could consider using a strap or screw in steps/hooks on the tree to work as a rest instead of your offhand against the tree.
Ya know, 2 of my good buddies back in Wisconsin swear by saddles, for bow AND rifle hunting. I think I just need to try one, from the outside looking in I can't imagine hanging in a saddle for 10 hours is anything less than miserable but they've assured me that they are a gamechanger.

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
Ya know, 2 of my good buddies back in Wisconsin swear by saddles, for bow AND rifle hunting. I think I just need to try one, from the outside looking in I can't imagine hanging in a saddle for 10 hours is anything less than miserable but they've assured me that they are a gamechanger.
Another saddle recommendation here. More comfy than a non plush hang-on stand and using the tree as a rest works great especially if you can get a limb around shoulder height. Easier and more versatile tree selection too.

WCB

WKR
I'd by a millennium M100U...add the shooting rail and some light weight sticks. Still be lighter than most climbers and can't get much more comfy than the seat on them. No way I'm hanging in a saddle all day. Also 300-400 yards hanging off the side of the tree trying to support yourself and a firearm doesn't seem fun. WI 200yards shots ok.

j_volt

WKR
I can't imagine (ethically) shooting 400 yards in any sort of tree stand. I have gotten better at finding places to sit without elevation, and I use a tripod/saddle to shoot from. I shot a WT last year at 420 on that set up from the ground.

OXN939

WKR
I can't imagine getting steady enough in one of those to reach out over 3-400 yards with a rifle.

There are some stands that will allow you to contort yourself into a kind of improved sitting position if you're short enough, but truly a 200 yard shot from most climbers is a poke. If you want to shoot farther, I'd consider a more stable position.

Best proof is always in the pudding. Set up a range on 8 inch steel and see how well you do at 200.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
There are some stands that will allow you to contort yourself into a kind of improved sitting position if you're short enough, but truly a 200 yard shot from most climbers is a poke. If you want to shoot farther, I'd consider a more stable position.

Best proof is always in the pudding. Set up a range on 8 inch steel and see how well you do at 200.
Good point for sure.

500 is automatic off a pack or seated behind a tripod, but have never shot out of a tree.

Thanks to this thread I'm picking up a Summit SD on Saturday, and am already brainstorming options to mount my tripod saddle on that front bar...

The most comfortable way to sit in a Summit does not give you the most stable shooting platform for a long range shot, this is fact. Having said that, depending on how you arrange your setup, it does give you the flexibility and room to position yourself for a very stable shot. My longest shot out of a my summit is approx 280, a chip shot I understand for some of the snipers on here...but I was able to take that shot "comfortably" by getting on my knees and using the top rail as a shooting rest. Easily done in the Summit

Rich M

WKR
I use a Summit Viper climber (20#). Mine is set up so that I sit low in the stand - I (5-10, 270#) nap/sleep up there mid-day and like the rail to be chest to armpit level so I'm not falling out.

Anyway, for me to shoot "distance" (200-250 is a long shot around here), I use a shooting stick either zip tied to the front rail or wedged in with my leg, and my right elbow on the rail. Steady as a rock if the tree isn't swaying in the wind. Will do the same thing in a ladder stand - the ladder rails are flimsy and way worse than the climber.

Can shoot as good out of my climber as I can off a bench rest. Find having my right elbow anchored is key for me. It ties everything together with 3 solid points of support for the rifle - shooting stick, shoulder, then elbow/stand.

For shooting stick, using a Cabelas and Allen collapsible sticks (have both) these days. Used to use trigger stick but after 3 failing, went with the Allen (small, very light, $20 for 61 inch stick at Walmart) and the Cabelas (about $50-something), which is a bit sturdier construction compared to the Allen.

The Allen is perfect for stand use - weighs about nothing, shrinks down to about 15 inches - easy to strap in with my stand - and when you need it, put the bottom on top of your toe and it goes nowhere.

OP
ianpadron

ianpadron

WKR
I use a Summit Viper climber (20#). Mine is set up so that I sit low in the stand - I (5-10, 270#) nap/sleep up there mid-day and like the rail to be chest to armpit level so I'm not falling out.

Anyway, for me to shoot "distance" (200-250 is a long shot around here), I use a shooting stick either zip tied to the front rail or wedged in with my leg, and my right elbow on the rail. Steady as a rock if the tree isn't swaying in the wind. Will do the same thing in a ladder stand - the ladder rails are flimsy and way worse than the climber.

Can shoot as good out of my climber as I can off a bench rest. Find having my right elbow anchored is key for me. It ties everything together with 3 solid points of support for the rifle - shooting stick, shoulder, then elbow/stand.

For shooting stick, using a Cabelas and Allen collapsible sticks (have both) these days. Used to use trigger stick but after 3 failing, went with the Allen (small, very light, $20 for 61 inch stick at Walmart) and the Cabelas (about $50-something), which is a bit sturdier construction compared to the Allen.

The Allen is perfect for stand use - weighs about nothing, shrinks down to about 15 inches - easy to strap in with my stand - and when you need it, put the bottom on top of your toe and it goes nowhere.
Appreciate that intel big time man, thank you. I'll have to grab a shooting stick

I'm sure there are plenty of ways to rig up a stand to shoot 3-400 yards in.. when there is no wind rocking the tree.

I bought one of the primos trigger sticks a few years ago for steadying longer treestand shots. I don't recall if I've ever actually carried it into the field though haha.

Last edited:

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
I also use a collapsible shooting stick in my stands. There is a model with a basket at the bottom, like a ski pole. It keeps the bottom of the stick from falling through the stand's footrest.

sram9102

WKR
A screw in step or gear hook on either side of the tree makes for a nice rest and lets you cover a lot of the area behind your stand setup. I'd look into a climber that allows you to sit facing the tree.

Rich M

WKR
Some guys will rig a belt or piece of nylon webbing to a limb or screw hook and use it to help hold the gun steady. I've not done it and have only seen pics somewhere a few years back.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I’d also recommend checking out a saddle. I’ve shot 2 whitetails out of my saddle with a rifle over that past couple years and both times I used the screw in hook that held my pack as my front rest.

Yoder

WKR
I have a Lone Wolf sit and climb that is pretty light and packs easy. They make a shooting rail for it, but it's really hard to find. I thought of using a shooting stick with mine. The stand is rock solid and really quiet.