Lightweight Tent Advice Needed

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ll be doing a back country trip this summer and fall to fine tune my gear for my Dall hunt in AK next fall. I tried a Durston 2P last fall and really liked it so I know I can handle trekking pole supported designs. Now I want to trim some weight off my pack weight and try a tent that might go to AK with me. I also want a double wall tent as I hate dealing with condensation. I think I have it narrowed down to, in no particular order…

Notch Li
Stratospire Li
Durston 1P

I’m open to other suggestions that are similar but I don’t want sil-nylon and I want it as light as possible within reason. Thoughts?

Voyageur

WKR
I've used a Tarptent SS 2 three different times in AK and have zero complaints. Use ranged from the north slope, to 40 Mile country, to the Alaska range. This last fall it stood up to 24 hours of 50-60 mph wind that had me worried for its ability to stay standing. Securing stakes with heavy rocks and periodic tightening of guylines kept it standing tall.
Hope this helps.

Agreed. The SS2 gives you space for all your gear and isn't a coffin during extended storms. A tent can become a prison in foul weather, illness or injury...a little extra space is a welcome thing.

P1010866.JPG

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a Tarptent SS 2 three different times in AK and have zero complaints. Use ranged from the north slope, to 40 Mile country, to the Alaska range. This last fall it stood up to 24 hours of 50-60 mph wind that had me worried for its ability to stay standing. Securing stakes with heavy rocks and periodic tightening of guylines kept it standing tall.
Hope this helps.
This definitely helps. I’ve had a heavy lean to the SS Li due to how much you get out of that weight.

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
@Where's Bruce? i agree, I have Tt Moment and although it has been a good reliable lightweight shelter for me, I do not like taking it if there is a chance I am going to be stuck in it. There is not enough room and I would gladly pay the weight penalty (within reason) to have more usable space.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I hate being a guy that confuses things. But I still I want to give you information and then you can do what you want with it.

My father in law has hunted sheep over a dozen times, I will add that I've only done it 3 times. I've only done alaska range, he's done brooks range as well.

He told me he would never use a pole tent on a mountain hunt in AK due to the fact that depending where you end up spending the night, the ground might be less than ideal. Pole tents tend to be more specific to set and need certain space, type of ground etc. He would always go with a freestanding tent. I will add again this is what he told me.

I sort of understood what he meant when we ended camping on top if a ridge at 7000 feet which is pretty high up in the alaska range and we got hit by a storm that gusted 50-ish miles an hour.

I will add that I personally have very limited experience with pole tents.

Ltoops

FNG
I hate being a guy that confuses things. But I still I want to give you information and then you can do what you want with it.

My father in law has hunted sheep over a dozen times, I will add that I've only done it 3 times. I've only done alaska range, he's done brooks range as well.

He told me he would never use a pole tent on a mountain hunt in AK due to the fact that depending where you end up spending the night, the ground might be less than ideal. Pole tents tend to be more specific to set and need certain space, type of ground etc. He would always go with a freestanding tent. I will add again this is what he told me.

I sort of understood what he meant when we ended camping on top if a ridge at 7000 feet which is pretty high up in the alaska range and we got hit by a storm that gusted 50-ish miles an hour.

I will add that I personally have very limited experience with pole tents.
I definitely agree that free standing would be the way to go.

TXCO

WKR
For 2.75 +\- pounds for the tarp tent depending on exact stakes and guy lines you use, Id think you can find a better option even for a half pound more. Obviously if you have amazing weather and hike point to point each day it’ll work great, its when thats not the case I think it would be troublesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ltsheets

Ltsheets

Lil-Rokslider
For 2.75 +\- pounds for the tarp tent depending on exact stakes and guy lines you use, Id think you can find a better option even for a half pound more. Obviously if you have amazing weather and hike point to point each day it’ll work great, its when thats not the case I think it would be troublesome.

The SS Li only weighs around 30oz all included if I’m not mistaken. Ad 4oz for the pole I use so I have a trekking pole during the day and idk how you have a better option for a DW 2P at that weight if price isn’t an issue.

Beendare

WKR
Freestanding in Ak wind conditions requires a lot of poles.

The beauty of the tipi/ Pyramid type design with the center pole or poles is 1) they shed the wind better, and 2) are significantly lighter.

Best design for an Ak sheep hunt, and Tarptent makes some quality stuff, IMO.
My HS Tarp tent is over 20 yrs old…I can’t kill it.

I guess you’re going to get a wide variety of responses here, but I wouldn’t even consider a traditional free standing tent for mountain hunting. If you want the ultimate in light weight, and something that can handle heavy winds (regardless of the changing direction that often happens in the mountains), than you want a DCF floorless Mid, period. When pitched correctly, and allowing for appropriate ventilation, condensation can be substantially mitigated, and IMO the only tent design that deals as well with heavy winds is a tunnel tent. Unfortunately, tunnel tents are much more difficult to access, and tend to be quite a bit heavier. The only exception to the “quiet a bit more heavier”, is the Stevenson Warmlite, but it’s still a tunnel, and as such, is more difficult to get in and out of.

Just out of curiosity why no sil/nylon? I just purchased the Tarptent Notch in sil/sil/nylon. I listened to a tent manufacturer on a podcast ( sorry don’t remember which one) and they said the life expectancy of a Dyneema tent is about 75% of the same tent made with sil/sil/nylon. He also said a big no no is stuffing a Dyneema tent into a stuff sack. It needs to be folded because every fold or crinkle in the fabric could result in a pin hole. These are why I didn’t get the Dyneema version.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Freestanding in Ak wind conditions requires a lot of poles.

The beauty of the tipi/ Pyramid type design with the center pole or poles is 1) they shed the wind better, and 2) are significantly lighter.

Best design for an Ak sheep hunt, and Tarptent makes some quality stuff, IMO.
My HS Tarp tent is over 20 yrs old…I can’t kill it.
Do you mean poles or stakes? I mean the amount of poles is the same regardless of wind or no wind on a freestanding.

I'm no expert since I've hunted sheep only three times, alot of alpine blacktail in SE tho. I do know that twice I got stuck in the tent for 2-3 days straight due to weather. So I am not too eager to go overly minimalistic out of fear of being claustrophobic.

Come to think i did try my father in laws brooks range pole tent. It was a faily old one and I'm sure it was one of the first dyneema tents that came out. Condensation was awful in that one.

It is a very fine line between lightweight and durability. Since 99% of the lightweight means less durable. I am considering trying mid-x, not pro version. Since I like the price point, weight and would like to see if I like it.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
The z packs duplex has a kit that makes it freestanding and is still pretty light.