Lightweight scope choice for Pierce Titanium 280 Ackley

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Rifle in question is 6 1/4lbs and came with a set of Talley Lightweight mounts in silver as well as the picatinny rail.

9F85BB63-06A3-479B-A43F-244F676744D3.jpegE09960A5-4DCF-4031-AC85-F65132D7B505.jpeg

Now, I have a couple of Swarovski Z6 3 - 18 x 50mm BT @ 21oz and I have a Swarovski Z6 2.5 - 15 x 56mm BT BRH at 22.4oz.

I don't think either of these are a bad choice optically, I just think they are too bulky for this rifle.

I have found a couple of Swarovski 42mm and 44mm scopes in the 17oz to a hair under 20oz range which I think would be more astetic. Specifically the Z6 1.7 - 10 x 42mm BRH at 16.6oz.

So, what does the peanut gallery think about my choices? Is there a better option? The only requirement I have is I want a 30mm tube and no Vortex.

I have been wanting to try a March, just need to pick thru their reticle offerings.

Thanks for taking the time to help with this!

IMO, anything under 25oz is lightweight. I have several carbons built that weight right at 6.5lbs. Some have big heavy ATACRs and Kahles on them, some have Z6i and Leica Amplus. There’s a big difference in feel. The S&B, X5i, Kahles and ATACR feel very top heavy on carbon guns, but they work. Tippy if you will. The Amplus and Swaros feel absolutely perfect at sub 24oz. I have no desire to put a 17oz optic on my rifles. IMO, you’re sacrificing optical and mechanical characteristics to save 5oz.
I think you’d love either Swaro at that weight or any other optic under 24oz. The Amplus has quickly grown to be one of m my favorites.

Side note. If I could pic any optic for a lightweight build, no question it would be a March 3-24x52 FIMA.

LightFoot

WKR
I have not tried the March scopes but would love to try them.

For that build, my go-to would be the NF NXS 2.5-10x to keep the weight down but be 600+ yard capable.

Although… the Trijicon Accuipoint 3-9x40 with mil-dot and a Kenton turret hiding under the caps… that might be just as good and save a few ounces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hwy1strat

WKR
Sweet rig! And those swaro’s are great scopes. I’d give them a try since you already have them and if you aren’t feeling it I’d probably give the Leupold vx-6 line a try in whatever magnification you prefer

IMO, anything under 25oz is lightweight. I have no desire to put a 17oz optic on my rifles. IMO, you’re sacrificing optical and mechanical characteristics to save 5oz.
BUT, in predictable fashion, we had someone make an issue of your definition of lightweight. Myself, I am thankful that you used the word lightweight AND quantified what it means to you. AND this poster essentially told you that you don't want what you want.
Although… the Trijicon Accuipoint 3-9x40 with mil-dot and a Kenton turret hiding under the caps… that might be just as good and save a few ounces.
BUT, in predictable fashion, this poster steered you to a 1 inch scope when you specifically said you wanted 30mm.

tak

WKR
I really like my Nightforce NXS 2.5-10. I think it's probably the best Nightforce "hunting" scope that is lightweight. Seems to fit what you're looking for with that set up, if you are okay with 10 power max and SFP.

SDHNTR

WKR
I really like my Nightforce NXS 2.5-10. I think it's probably the best Nightforce "hunting" scope that is lightweight. Seems to fit what you're looking for with that set up, if you are okay with 10 power max and SFP.
This. It’s one of the only available scopes that fits your criteria of lightweight AND is proven to be reliable and durable.

Swaro Z series have incredibly thin scope tubes and plastic erector internals. They are light and optically wonderful, but woefully fragile and unreliable.

Last edited:
OP
Darryle

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
With the objective to power ring measurements of 5"ish, the Nightforce NSX and SHV may be to short, I don't even know if I could mount them low enough without hitting the picatinny rail.

Samson7x

WKR
With the objective to power ring measurements of 5"ish, the Nightforce NSX and SHV may be to short, I don't even know if I could mount them low enough without hitting the picatinny rail.

If that's the case, looks like you could mill a bit from the front of that base to clearance.

SDHNTR

WKR
You’re talking about the objective bell hitting the front of the pic rail?

I just put the same scope on a Rem 700 LA with a Nightforce rail. It was close, but cleared with sufficient space and no cutting/grinding required. If you are worried, you could always cut off the front of the rail by a bit. Cut that one notch off that hangs over the barrel. It’s unnecessary anyway. Or you could also file/grind the front down at an angle to give you more clearance. I’d do that LONG before I trusted a valuable hunt to a questionable Swarovski scope!

You’re talking about the objective bell hitting the front of the pic rail?

I just put the same scope on a Rem 700 LA with a Nightforce rail. It was close, but cleared with sufficient space and no cutting/grinding required. If you are worried, you could always cut off the front of the rail by a bit. Cut that one notch off that hangs over the barrel. It’s unnecessary anyway. Or you could also file/grind the front down at an angle to give you more clearance. I’d do that LONG before I trusted a valuable hunt to a questionable Swarovski scope!
No. He's referring to the mounting length of the scope.

SDHNTR

WKR
No. He's referring to the mounting length of the scope.

I know that. But because of the short length he’s worried about having to slide it back so far that the bell contacts the rail. I think, anyway. That’s the only spot where the scope could conceivably come in contact with the rail.

OP
Darryle

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
I honestly want to use the Talleys that came with the rifle instead of the picatinny rail.

I will use the picatinny if I must and I have several Swarovski Z6s and haven't had an issue with any of them. That will probably change now that I jinxed myself.

I am looking at March scopes as well.

I am out of town and I cannot verify that I can spin the Talleys around to close the gap.

I am all for a Nightforce, although I would like a minimum 15x on the top end, I can make it work.

SDHNTR

WKR
A Nightforce with 15x on the top end is not going to be light, but it will be dependable!

tak

WKR

My NXS 2.5-10 fits on my M70 375 with Talley LWs(extended), not much wiggle room, but fits. Surely it would fit the standard LA.

I'm in Weatherford, if you want to check yours. I also have a SHV 4-14.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Has not been mentioned but Leupold Vx 5 3-15x44 comes in at 19oz, I have 2, have not had any issues. The price and weight, seem to be just right for a light weight rifle

IMO, anything under 25oz is lightweight. I have several carbons built that weight right at 6.5lbs. Some have big heavy ATACRs and Kahles on them, some have Z6i and Leica Amplus. There’s a big difference in feel. The S&B, X5i, Kahles and ATACR feel very top heavy on carbon guns, but they work. Tippy if you will. The Amplus and Swaros feel absolutely perfect at sub 24oz. I have no desire to put a 17oz optic on my rifles. IMO, you’re sacrificing optical and mechanical characteristics to save 5oz.
I think you’d love either Swaro at that weight or any other optic under 24oz. The Amplus has quickly grown to be one of m my favorites.

Side note. If I could pic any optic for a lightweight build, no question it would be a March 3-24x52 FIMA.
I have been tempted to try the March as well..... which reticle are you talking about? I am curious... thanks.
FML,
FML-1,
FML-T1
FML-TR1H
FML-MB