Lightweight ruger american stock upgrade

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Fellow Ruger American owners. Does anyone make a lightweight replacement for the American stock?

I'm not looking for the 3+ lb magpul stock. It's still a hunting rifle that gets carried miles so it must be light. That being said, the only thing I dislike about the factory stock is the spongy forend. If nobody has any options I'll probably just fill the forend with epoxy. Thanks for the input.

Oh, I have thought about upgrading to a new rifle but I just shot .5 MOA groups and have all my reloads developed already........

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I have looked a little before for options and seemed like the best one I could find was the Bell and Carlson. Not necessarily a lightweight stock but a decent one and lighter than some of the other options out there.

I did some looking this past week, mostly at chassis style replacements. I am having a hard time justifying replacing the stock with one that costs me as much as the rifle did. The weight savings are minimal with a chassis as well.

grfox92

WKR
For the most part it doesn't exist. You could achieve the same weight or gain a little bit by going with an XLR or MDT chassis.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
I replaced my RA stock with a Bell & Carlson. Your rifle will come in between 8 and 8 1/4 lbs with scope still nice and light. Bonus is you get an aluminum trigger guard.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a difference between the regular American and predator stock besides color? I bought a predator last summer and the stock is fully free floated and stiff as it needs to be

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Fellow Ruger American owners. Does anyone make a lightweight replacement for the American stock?

I'm not looking for the 3+ lb magpul stock. It's still a hunting rifle that gets carried miles so it must be light. That being said, the only thing I dislike about the factory stock is the spongy forend. If nobody has any options I'll probably just fill the forend with epoxy. Thanks for the input.

Oh, I have thought about upgrading to a new rifle but I just shot .5 MOA groups and have all my reloads developed already........
How is the sponginess affecting accuracy?

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a difference between the regular American and predator stock besides color? I bought a predator last summer and the stock is fully free floated and stiff as it needs to be

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk
Predator comes with a threaded muzzle also. To be exact, I have the go wild edition.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
How is the sponginess affecting accuracy?
If you lean on the gun hard, or have it at steep angles the forend sometimes not always rubs against the barrel. It doesn't help I have a suppressor on it. In addition, I don't think most guys notice when they take it to the average range and prop it up nice. You have to be using it in real life setting to run into the issue.

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
Predator comes with a threaded muzzle also. To be exact, I have the go wild edition.
The Go Wild is an improvement over my old RA 30-06 stock from about 8 years ago but I’m not sure if the Bell and Carlson will fit the Go Wild.

grfox92

WKR
If you lean on the gun hard, or have it at steep angles the forend sometimes not always rubs against the barrel. It doesn't help I have a suppressor on it. In addition, I don't think most guys notice when they take it to the average range and prop it up nice. You have to be using it in real life setting to run into the issue.
I have read this over and over on RS, and while I'm not saying it isn't happening, one of the first things I did was load the balls out of the bi pod in every position possible and had someone slide a dollar bill down the tube. I could never get it to make contact.

Are you saying that the fore end contact with the barrel is causing shifts in your groups or causing them to open up?

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
I have read this over and over on RS, and while I'm not saying it isn't happening, one of the first things I did was load the balls out of the bi pod in every position possible and had someone slide a dollar bill down the tube. I could never get it to make contact.

It doesn't make contact while sitting there. It's during firing when the barrel is flexing and there is a lather load on it. I'll see if I can take a picture. It's starting to wear the cerakote on the barrel........

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Are you saying that the fore end contact with the barrel is causing shifts in your groups or causing them to open up?
Both. My issue is the left side of the foreend. When I run into the issue, it pushes the POI to the right. I also usually start seeing random fliers.

grfox92

WKR
It doesn't make contact while sitting there. It's during firing when the barrel is flexing and there is a lather load on it. I'll see if I can take a picture. It's starting to wear the cerakote on the barrel........
Ok interesting. I never thought about that possibility and never thought about how you would ever know it was even doing it. Now I'm going to take mine down and check. Thanks.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Ok interesting. I never thought about that possibility and never thought about how you would ever know it was even doing it. Now I'm going to take mine down and check. Thanks.

You can also put lipstick or similar on the inside of the forend. Shoot it in all the positions/situations you think are realistic and verify each time that none of the lipstick transfered to the barrel. Learned that one the hard way with archery lol.

jstein87

FNG
I constantly look for someone offering a carbon stock for this gun but haven't been able to find one yet. One of us needs to send some emails out to the stock manufacturers to see if they can make an inlet for a Ruger American. I'd buy one in a heart beat.

The Boyd’s featherweight thumbhole isn’t bad. It’s 2.3-2.5lbs and the ergos are pretty decent for recoil. Nice beaver tail forend, buttpad that’s fairly inline with the barrel, and comb that allows a solid cheek weld if you can use low enough rings. Not the lightest option but it’s not very expensive either. It’ll definitely shoot a lot better than the stock polymer, especially if you bed the action and the barrel shank.

I had one many moons ago on a Remington 721 in 30-06 that I was happy with.

Idk of any other option that would be a reasonably priced reinvestment into the RA other than laying a thick coat of epoxy and maybe some aluminum rods in the forend to beef up the rigidity, as you already stated. That would probably be my option personally. It’d be a good project and the barrier to entry, as well as the risk would be low.

The last fricking things I want on a hunting stock, is a stupid beavertail and a goofy thumbhole....

😂 A cheap, light-ish stock for a Ruger American that’s not perfect in every way? GASP

It’s slim pickings for the RA.

It is strange Boyd’s chose to go with a thumbhole for their “featherweight” option. You’d think a trimmer design would be an easy way to shed more weight.