Lightweight rear rifle rest

What are you guys using with chassis guns when hunting?
The mini wedge works great for me on my XLR. I usually don’t even run the bag rider and haven’t had any issues.
It’s 1 1/2 lbs and the size of a loaf a bread. Not exactly insignificant. Or am I missing a smaller and lighter option?
My mini wedge is 15oz and only 1/3 a loaf of bread. Definitely not the lightest or smallest but it works very well for me.

I ran the ERSS for awhile and definitely prefer the mini wedge. I haven’t tried the tea bag from unknown yet but might pick one up to see how it compares to my mini wedge since the tea bag is 1/4-1/2 the weight depending on size.

sargent

WKR
I got one of these Crosstac Ultralight Saddle Bags to carry this year. It's comes filled with little styrofoam beads and weighs 7.5 ounces. I emptied it out (the empty bag weighs 6 ounces), put my kill kit in there, and filled two ziplock bags with the beads to put on top where the rifle rests. It can be used on top of my pack or tripod, as a rear rest while resting my rifle on the pack, or over a rock or tree limb. They also have smaller dedicated rear rest bags with the same fill with an advertised weight of 2.4 ounces. For $27, they might be worth a try.

SDHNTR

WKR
The mini wedge works great for me on my XLR. I usually don’t even run the bag rider and haven’t had any issues.

My mini wedge is 15oz and only 1/3 a loaf of bread. Definitely not the lightest or smallest but it works very well for me.

I ran the ERSS for awhile and definitely prefer the mini wedge. I haven’t tried the tea bag from unknown yet but might pick one up to see how it compares to my mini wedge since the tea bag is 1/4-1/2 the weight depending on size.
Ok I didn’t see the mini wedge option. That’s a little more practical. Thanks.

Lawnboi

WKR
Couple things I’d add onto what’s been mentioned.

-For bags skip the styrofoam bead bags that are super light, atleast if you want stability.

-Wedge bags are a one trick pony and you need a stock of the appropriate shape to use it effectively.

-git lite positional bag, like a pint sized game changer (1lb) or a mini thunderbird (ounces) and if your going to carry it make sure it works in front, in back, and as a pillow. Either of these bags I’ll clip to my pack with a plastic Carabiner and it goes unnoticed. The pint sized game changer makes a hell of a pillow.

-Stalking with a bag in my hand has eliminated filling my hands with cactus spikes while crawling.

Those metal deals and mono pods are a gimmick imo.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Couple things I’d add onto what’s been mentioned.

-For bags skip the styrofoam bead bags that are super light, atleast if you want stability.

-Wedge bags are a one trick pony and you need a stock of the appropriate shape to use it effectively.

-git lite positional bag, like a pint sized game changer (1lb) or a mini thunderbird (ounces) and if your going to carry it make sure it works in front, in back, and as a pillow. Either of these bags I’ll clip to my pack with a plastic Carabiner and it goes unnoticed. The pint sized game changer makes a hell of a pillow.

-Stalking with a bag in my hand has eliminated filling my hands with cactus spikes while crawling.

Those metal deals and mono pods are a gimmick imo.
I’ve learned that when you speak about this kind of thing, I should listen. Where can one find the mini thunderbird bag? Google lead me astray.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ve learned that when you speak about this kind of thing, I should listen. Where can one find the mini thunderbird bag? Google lead me astray.
@hereinaz is thunderbird. He can probably do a better job pointing you to what he’s got. I think I ended up with his mini tacky hunter. I made a thread comparing the two, it’s somewhere on here.

If you order a pint sized direct from Armageddon gear they now come with a fill port, which I think is a worthwhile upgrade. I normally carry the pint sized git lite for what I do.

Either way the bag is versatile enough that everyone should have one.

Iv got a boat load of bags. These are two Iv kept.

SDHNTR

WKR
@hereinaz is thunderbird. He can probably do a better job pointing you to what he’s got. I think I ended up with his mini tacky hunter. I made a thread comparing the two, it’s somewhere on here.

If you order a pint sized direct from Armageddon gear they now come with a fill port, which I think is a worthwhile upgrade. I normally carry the pint sized git lite for what I do.

Either way the bag is versatile enough that everyone should have one.

Iv got a boat load of bags. These are two Iv kept.
Got it. Thanks. Sent huntinaz a pm.

Lawnboi

WKR
Here you go:

That’s the schmedium, probably a little bigger than I’d want to carry hunting. Good bag though. AG for hunting would be the pint sized for me

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I always have game bags with me. I have a small canvas bag that I stuff with 2-3 rolled up game bags. Makes for a quick rear rest and I'm not carrying something extra.

SDHNTR

WKR
I always have game bags with me. I have a small canvas bag that I stuff with 2-3 rolled up game bags. Makes for a quick rear rest and I'm not carrying something extra.
Yes, I keep all of my game bags rolled up in a BOMB bag. I’ve used it before as a rest but looking for something more purpose built.

CORam

FNG
I am not aware of what the OP is referring to, but everyone else is chiming in with their favorite bag recommendations so I will too.

Tab Gear rear bag with git lite fill. I love the gamechanger series of bags but they are too big and way too heavy for me for hunting, even with git lite. The Tab bag is simple, effective, weighs next to nothing, inexpensive, and they make top quality products. I just clip it to my rifle sling with a carabiner.

I use gamechanger bags for match shooting.

ChrisAU

WKR
I am not aware of what the OP is referring to, but everyone else is chiming in with their favorite bag recommendations so I will too.

Tab Gear rear bag with git lite fill. I love the gamechanger series of bags but they are too big and way too heavy for me for hunting, even with git lite. The Tab bag is simple, effective, weighs next to nothing, inexpensive, and they make top quality products. I just clip it to my rifle sling with a carabiner.

I use gamechanger bags for match shooting.

I ordered a Tab Gear rear bag with the git lite fill Tuesday after I read your post. Got it today. I think it is exactly what I'm looking for, good size for a rear bag, and only 2.7 oz on my scale. Crazy light.

CORam

FNG
I ordered a Tab Gear rear bag with the git lite fill Tuesday after I read your post. Got it today. I think it is exactly what I'm looking for, good size for a rear bag, and only 2.7 oz on my scale. Crazy light.
That's awesome! I find myself wanting to buy more Tab Gear stuff because their quality is so great. I'm glad you like it - that is what this is all about - helping each other out. And yeah I agree on the lightweight aspect - the Tab bag is so light that it is a no-brainer to bring it hunting, never even a question.

If you’re shooting prone at longer range I would skip that style of rear rest and get a bag filled with git-lite. Unfortunately there is no free lunch and anything ultra light will have too much play and will sink during recoil, causing you to shoot high. Whatever you end up with practice practice practice
I agree with this.
I just got a bag of the git-lite material and it reduced my rear squeeze bad by half. This may make for less difficult decision to pack in the hills with me do to bags typically being heavy.

My wife does yoga. She has these little 4x6x8 inch blocks they use to help support different stretches. They are dense but ridiculously light. They fit perfect under the rear stock and I use them at the range or at the farm. Probably would not hump one up a mountain but for farm or range they are awesome.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
My wife does yoga. She has these little 4x6x8 inch blocks they use to help support different stretches. They are dense but ridiculously light. They fit perfect under the rear stock and I use them at the range or at the farm. Probably would not hump one up a mountain but for farm or range they are awesome.

But, does she notice they're missing is the question....?