Lightweight Howa Mini Builds - .223 Rem & 6.5 Grendel

Bowhunter-tw

They are decent to ok rifles, however a Tikka T3 223 with 1-8” twist is a better rifle in every way.
Yah id like to get one when I can find it, I was thinking build a lightweight howa mini in the mean time to replace my savage axis then get a tikka when one pops up.

OP

4090Sharps

Well Known Rokslider
Still waiting for my rifle to be returned. Sitting at a month and a half since I sent my rifle out, so assuming Howa sticks to their quoted return times "only" another month and a half left...

Edit: I'm bad at math. Quote was 60-120 days. So maybe two weeks left to wait, maybe two months.
Today is 105 days since Howa has received my rifle, and they have yet to provide me with a status update.

Hnthrdr

Well Known Rokslider
Love this thread. I too am looking at getting into the ultra light 223 game. Was going to get a howa, but couldn’t find one. Now I am glad that I didn’t head down that route. I went with a tikka t3x lite compact, which I’m waiting on to ship. Will chop the barrel down to 16” and thread. Then a stockys CF stock and top it with a leupold or an old vortex razor 2-10. Hoping with barrel chopped and stock replaced to come in around right under 6lbs

OP

4090Sharps

Well Known Rokslider
Roughly day 138 since my rifle arrived back at Howa, and I got a proper update when I called today. The stock has reportedly been fixed or replaced, and now the barrel is in the queue to be recoated due to a number of blemishes in the finish when I received it.

No ETA yet.

OP

4090Sharps

Well Known Rokslider
Roughly day 138 since my rifle arrived back at Howa, and I got a proper update when I called today. The stock has reportedly been fixed or replaced, and now the barrel is in the queue to be recoated due to a number of blemishes in the finish when I received it.

No ETA yet.

Called today, day 158, and was told it will be at least three more weeks while they wait for the stock to be recoated (I guess the information I received last time wasn't quite correct). What a pain.

It's worth noting that no one has ever reached out to provide me with an update from Howa/Legacy Sports--not through an automated email when they passed their estimated deadline, nor through updates in their ticketing system (maybe they update it with comments that are only viewable internally).