Lightweight Bipod

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
So I am a "bipod guy". I love the stability when it comes to long-range shots and the versatility to be able to shoot from any position in most any terrain. The issue I have is the ungodly weight of the things. I have the Harris "Ultralight" 13-27'', which work great for the area I hunt, where tall grass is very common and being able to set up and shoot over it is important. They are very rugged and take the beating I dish out with my style of hunting. However, despite their "Ultralight" title, they have to weigh close to a pound or more.. I have tried doing a bit of research, but have found very little in actual lightweight bipods that attach in a similar fashion of the Harris's or would be comparable in functionality. It would seem like someone would have come out with something that was made of carbon fiber or titanium, but I havent seen anything. I dont want to carry shooting sticks. I dont want something folded up in my sling. Just a functional, rugged, and lightweight bipod.

So I am searching for wisdom and possibly leads on what some of you guys have, or use. Custom designs? Just deal with the weight? Some underground company that has caught on and started making them?

I appreciate the responses!

Rian

I use my tripod that I'm carrying for the spotting scope with my rear bag on top for when I can't shoot off my 6-9" bipod. Ive also carried the shooting cradle from prs as well. Both options severely limit my range.

I don't like bipods for the very reasons you listed, they add too much weight to the front of my rifle and to me, aren't worth the bang to my buck. So to solve this dilemma, I took a set of old trekking poles and made shooting sticks. These together are at least half the weight of my bipod and offer more solutions. I I took out the bottom section of trekking pole and put a smaller wooden dowel in its place with a rubber boot glued to the bottom. I kept the wrist straps on and use them to cradle my rifle. So far so good!

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with justinspicher. Don't want the extra weight of a bipod, so I use my trekking poles. You don't even have to modify them. I just adjust them to whatever length I need, use the wrist straps to form a cradle and shoot. The system works great out to 300 yards from a sitting position, and you can use them together or just use one for a standing shot. Then, either stash them on your pack or use them to hike. Might not be as stable as a prone bipod position, but if you can get that low you can always shoot off your pack.