Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

OP
W

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
Never used a ferro rod, school me on why this is worth the $$$

sometimes when its really cold lighters don't work for what ever reason. Your hands get cold, lighter gets wet, lighter freezes, it's so cold the gas has no pressure etc.

A ferro rod can literally save your life.

I try to carry multiple fire starting devices. I also stash them everywhere. back packs, bino harness, saddle bags, horn bags, panniers, jacket pockets, pants pockets etc.

JjamesIII

WKR
Looking into these- I’m a fan of ferro rods above any other means of starting a fire in the field. While spendy, I think this looks like a map fuel torch compared to the other rods/strikers I’ve been using. Should I go with the standard size, or mini?

The Rokslide version looks like it is the mini, is that correct?

I would also like to know the weight, and dimensions, of the mini and the standard. Is that info available anywhere?

JjamesIII

WKR
The Rokslide version looks like it is the mini, is that correct?

I would also like to know the weight, and dimensions, of the mini and the standard. Is that info available anywhere?
3.25 ounces mini, 4.5 ounces standard. It’s not much difference. I’m not worried about the storage capacity of either. I’m curious about the amount of striking surface between the two. The more the better, but if the mini is a flame thrower- I won’t need the bigger model.

C Bow

WKR
You probably right my ass has been on the line many many times heck at 68 years still hunting alone it is way past my time anyway

JjamesIII

WKR
You probably right my ass has been on the line many many times heck at 68 years still hunting alone it is way past my time anyway
Stay after it buddy! I’m always solo as well because I’m not waiting around for my “let’s go next year” friends. As solo hunters, we need to be 100% self reliant and stack the odds in our favor any way possible. Fire, first aid, water, navigation, and light are things that I have redundant back up measures.
A lighter weighs little and is handy for a primary use when things are going fine and tinder is dry. When it’s wet, blowing, cold and you soaked the lighter striker that’s gonna be the time you may want a ferro rod/striker. They work when other methods fail. Especially if you have some pyro putty type of fuel- it’s very reliable and fast.
Good luck- stay after it while you still can! Remember redundancies that are simple, light, and not mechanical.

C Bow

WKR
Thanks I appreciate it Never Forget and Never quit back to the Beartooths