Lightest Rifle Possible

treillw

WKR
What is the lightest you can make a hunting rifle? What setup? Something like a 6.5 CM or PRC for deer and antelope.

Thanks!

Tweeder

FNG
You can end up with an extremely lightweight rifle but they will have their drawbacks. If lightweight is your only parameter, factory rifles like the Seekins Element and the Kimber Mountain Ascent are two examples that feel light as a feather don’t know the exact numbers tho. If your building a custom the HNT26 chassis, light profile carbon or fluted steel barrels, and titanium or the newer ultra machined steel actions will get you what your looking for. The Rokstok is also supposed to weight 26-30 oz ish but I wouldn’t know yet

Tweeder

FNG
Kimber mountain ascent says starting 4lbs 13oz and Seekins Element say 5.5 lbs SA, 6lbs LA

I think there are a few sub 5lb scoped kimbers out there on the forum. I have a howa mini scoped with a supressor at 5.7lbs. You definitely loose some capability once you get below 6-7lbs (not including a supressor). A reliable scope is going to be close to a pound by itself.

Use the search bar in the upper right corner of the page. Here are some other threads from a quick search where I found someone else's quick search.

Ultralight Ultralight Rifles

New Ultralight Rifle Build ideas

Ultralight hunting rifle

Lightweight Mountain Rifle Help

Edit: here's more

Last edited:
I have a Christensen Ridgeline FFT in 280 AI. I thinks its around 5.5lbs bare and 7lbs scopes with a 2.5-15 credo. I also have a Christensen BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC with a 4-32 NX8 that is 11lbs with atlas bipod. Both rifles are extremely accurate, but the 280 AI is soooo much harder to shoot small groups. Every breath, every move is magnified with the lighter rifle. The 6.5 prc is soooo easy to get steady and execute a good trigger press. If I am not packing into the back country for overnight hunts, I am taking the PRC.

I bring this up because I thought a lightweight rifle would be the end all be all, but its not. It has its limitations. I think the ideal rifle weight all in is between 9-10lbs. If you need lighter loose it somewhere else.

The lightest you can go based on your cartridge choices (6.5 CM) would be a single-shot AR-15 (not AR-10!). It would be a full custom barrel, using a .450 Bushmaster bolt and a portless 6.5 CM barrel turned down to the minimum.

Never done this, because it’d be a single shot and kick like a deranged ex-wife, but I’d expect sub-3-pounds without scope.

If you added a gas system, it would weigh maybe 6 ounces more. Upon firing, it would eject the empty, lock the bolt open, and you’d drop a fresh round into the upper receiver. Hit the bolt release, and she’d slam home.

I believe Franklin Armory made .308s like this maybe 12 years ago. They said pressure was fine in the AR-15, but I’ve never seen one.

This said, you’re far better off with a smaller cartridge in a straight pull AR or a bigger rifle in 6.5 CM or PRC. There’s a reason no one has done it since….

JRS3

Lil-Rokslider
For factory, Kimber is tough to beat.

I have shot a few Rifles Inc Ti setups that were surprisingly accurate in 280 AI and 30-06.

I have a 700 Ti in .280 AI from Kampfeldn that is as light as I want but have never weighed it.

I almost bought a MG Arms .300 WSM at DSC a few years back that I kick myself for passing on. It was a sweet setup.

A buddy has a few extreme setups with really cut down and skeletonized stocks that are really light but just don’t turn me on from an aesthetic perspective.

for an UL rifle, unless you have a specific need for a large caliber, I think something like 6mm arc, 223, 22arc, etc is probably perfect. Great ballistics out to as much range as anyone has business shooting a super light rifle, and won't beat you to death. Counterpoint is the UL brush gun for hunting and bears, like what luke built his Uberlight kimber to be.

06 SB

Lil-Rokslider
I built mine with a Remington 600 action, McMillan Mountain Rifle (Edge fill) stock and a 21” Lilja #1 contour. It is a 7mm-08 but a 6.5CM would work just the same. I am right at 6.5 pounds with a Swarovski Z3 scope. A Rem700 action would add a couple of ounces. Consider what scope you will use if you are planning to dial frequently as that means you can usually only pick two of the following attributes: lightweight, reliable dialing or reasonable cost

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an old 20 3/4 " barrel 30 06 made by Husqvarna for Smith and Wesson, over 50 years ago. Weighs barely over five pounds, six with a scope. Really pleasant to lug around the mountains, short and easy to handle, but it beats the poo out of me every time I shoot it.

dreadi

FNG
I had a Seekins Element in 300PRC, put it on the scale....5.3lbs

I have a PH2 here in 6.5PRC, just a hair over 6.5lbs.

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
It’s been mentioned. Very light rifles are very hard to shoot well. An 8.5lb scoped 6.5 PRC is where I’ve landed.