Lightest reliable turreted scope

TxLite

WKR
I recently tried the S&B Klassik 3-12 and ended up returning it due to blinding glare at low light. Other than that it was a very nice scope, but the glare was a deal killer for me on a hunting rifle. I think I’ll probably end up trying the NXS 2.5-10 next for a lightweight dialer. The fixed 6’s have sparked my interest though so I may end up trying one of those. For now I’m back to my 3-18x50 Tenmile.

rootacres

WKR
I’ve learned that you have to be careful asking for advice on scopes on this forum. You’ll get some guys that share their experiences, good, bad, indifferent about brand X scope. Then you’ll get the guys that feel the field evaluations are gospel. They’ll make it sound like unless you have an SWFA, NF or Tenmile you can’t carry your rifle from the safe to your truck without loosing zero. So keep that in mind, some dudes get pretty fired up about it.

Scopes are a fragile instrument. Some are more durable than others. Usually the lighter you go the durability goes down.

I had a Razor LHT 3-14x42. Light for its category. I took it to WY, NM, and AZ. Shots between 200 and 425 yards. It never failed me. Sold it to my brother, he took it back to NM and killed a bull at 300 yds last year.

I upgraded to a Mark 5 3-18x44 after the LHT. So far I’ve taken 1 bull at 300 yds with it. The click adjustments on the these turrets are the best in the industry in my opinion.

Both those scopes are hated on by many. Partially from how they did in the field evals. They have worked for me. I do have an NX8 going on a custom 300 PRC soon and a different Mark 5 going on my SA custom build that I have NRL plans with.

I can’t speak to the NF yet as I don’t have any reps on mine. The Mark 5 3-18 and Tenmile 3-18 are both great options. I’d lean Tenmile for a hunting gun and Mark 5 for a comp gun at this point.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
I recently tried the S&B Klassik 3-12 and ended up returning it due to blinding glare at low light. Other than that it was a very nice scope, but the glare was a deal killer for me on a hunting rifle…
Curious what the situation was? I have one of these and have not had this issue, actually have been very pleased with the glass for hunting. wondering if its a specific lighting situation I just havent encountered or a oddball individual scope, etc?

TxLite

WKR
Curious what the situation was? I have one of these and have not had this issue, actually have been very pleased with the glass for hunting. wondering if its a specific lighting situation I just havent encountered or a oddball individual scope, etc?
Specifically when zoomed in above 6x or so, at low light, if there was any skyline in the scope it would completely wash out the target. It got worse the more it was zoomed in. Full daylight was a non issue.

Where I hunt most animal activity is early morning or late evening, so it was a deal breaker for me. Was really disappointed to be honest. On paper it looked about perfect. Aside from the veiling glare it was a really nice scope.

Not sure if my model was worse than others as it’s the only one I’ve used. I did message Form and he let me know that it is an issue that they have but a sunshade might help. Ultimately decided that adding a sunshade would get me right back into the weight of other scopes that didn’t have the issue.

atmat

WKR
I haven’t noticed any whitewashing glare on my Klassic, but I’ll pay extra attention as the season starts up.

Macintosh

WKR
Specifically when zoomed in above 6x or so, at low light, if there was any skyline in the scope it would completely wash out the target. It got worse the more it was zoomed in. Full daylight was a non issue.

Where I hunt most animal activity is early morning or late evening, so it was a deal breaker for me. Was really disappointed to be honest. On paper it looked about perfect. Aside from the veiling glare it was a really nice scope.

Not sure if my model was worse than others as it’s the only one I’ve used. I did message Form and he let me know that it is an issue that they have but a sunshade might help. Ultimately decided that adding a sunshade would get me right back into the weight of other scopes that didn’t have the issue.
Huh. Yeah, same for me as far as when I use it, etc, tends to be pretty dark and shadowy, I just havent had that issue. I used it in WY last year including some pretty early AM's, late eve's and felt it did really well there--lots of glare, but truth be told even in the darkest conditions there it's way lighter than twilight here at home. Where I mainly hunt here in northern new england is kind of known for not having any sunshine, I think mine does well in very low light, so perhaps I just havent run into the right (wrong) conditions. I also tend to be on pretty low power in those conditions, so maybe that's the diff. Anyway, bummer it didnt work for you, I've been really happy with mine and have recommended it to a few others as a result.

Would a Trijion Accupoint 3-9x40 with the Kenton Industries elevation turret be an option? It is listed at 13.4 oz.

roymunson

WKR
stumbled on this thread and was pleased to see the NSX I felt I overpaid for came that highly recommended. I'm happy with it.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Would a Trijion Accupoint 3-9x40 with the Kenton Industries elevation turret be an option? It is listed at 13.4 oz.
I have been considering this exact same thing for an ultra light build. Currently have a SWFA 3-9 ready for it but wouldn’t mind a smaller scope for such a tiny rifle. Must be a solid scope though for me to switch

I don’t think you’d gain a whole lot going with the Kenton turret. The Kenton turret is the same as the stock one that sits under the cap, just with custom markings. You can dial with the stock Trijicon turret that sits under the cap.

I didn't realize the factory turrets were already marked. That's great! Thanks for the pictures.

Anybody have significant dialing experience with the the 3-9x40 AccuPoint?

I didn't realize the factory turrets were already marked. That's great! Thanks for the pictures.

Anybody have significant dialing experience with the the 3-9x40 AccuPoint?
I haven’t done any intense testing or validation of true adjustments beyond shooting, but regularly dial mine out to shoot at 500 yards and back to zero without issue. My scope is a triangle reticle, so it’s easier to dial than hold over beyond about 250 yards.

KenLee

WKR
I haven’t noticed any whitewashing glare on my Klassic, but I’ll pay extra attention as the season starts up.
I'm wondering if turning magnification down would help the problem, as he said magnification over 6x. Takes a long shot for 6x not to be useful IF you've already identified the potential target as a "shooter".