Lighter recoiling elk rifle

S-3 ranch

WKR
I shoot both 270win and .308win with 150gr Norma oryx, both have same ballistic range, and are deadly on elk , mule deer, caribou out to 300 meters
I also shoot a .375 ruger with 250gr CX ( probably not for the recoil sensitive, but I never feel it when the chips are on the table)

7RemMag

FNG
Ammo availability could be a limitation for him, depending on how internet savvy he is, and if he reloads or not. I suppose it could be a bit on the spendy side, but I purchased a Weatherby Mark V in 280 Ackley Improved this August, and I absolutely love it. The brake is not obnoxious, and My sister who is quite petite shoots the rifle with no problems. The barrel is threaded, so a suppressor is not out of the question, but I'd be leery of putting anything heavy on it for fear of accuracy issues. The barrel is thin and might not handle a heavy suppressor very well. The same rifle, or many others, in 7mm-08 is an excellent choice as well.

Billyvan

FNG
7mm-08 or an old school favorite, 25-06. The 25 is a great round but has been overlooked now by all the 6.5 variations. You would be able to find heavier factory loads for the 7mm-08. I recently purchased some Underwood 150 accubonds for my 7mm-08. I think that would be a great option. I have a couple in the Remington 700, but have seen a few tikkas for sale on here at times. The 243 option seems crazy to me on an Elk because I’ve shot a truck load of deer with one and never been that impressed. (Though I do own one in a tikka that’s a tax driver)

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I use my bow for elk hunting but have a rifle that I really like for deer hunting at home that would be perfect for your dad. It is a 7mm-08 Savage 110 Lightweight Storm. It is very similar to expensive, custom mountain rifles and has very little recoil. It is very light and easy to carry in the mountains and accurate right out of the box. 7mm-08 would be fine for elk IMO.