Lighted nocks vs FOC vs arrow weight

KHNC

WKR
I bought some cheap lit nocks (28$/doz.) this summer to test.
I assumed I would be moving my pins, and was wrong. They hit right on target.
std. Nocks were 9 grains, these were 22.

I ended up really liking them, bought another dozen. Only failures have been from nock strikes.

View attachment 459495
What kind did you get? Im not buying any more firenocks when i lose what i have now. Just too damn expensive nowadays.

11boo

WKR
What kind did you get? Im not buying any more firenocks when i lose what i have now. Just too damn expensive nowadays.
Amazon, I’m not even going to try and spell that brand from memory. Mine fit perfectly, disposable once the battery dies. At least a few hundred shots on the original dozen. They give you a tiny screwdriver to turn them off, but the tip of my knife works too.

A dead one from a hit.C4AEAC08-9EEE-4E82-912D-DCDFAA55BF56.jpeg

C7017EB7-B747-4CF2-ADB0-CB9965BA6418.jpeg

you need to know the exact I.D. of your arrow obvi.

KHNC

WKR
I saw those on amazon this morning. Good to know they are reliable! THanks!

I like the DEEPOWER nocks from Amazon. They have a little black switch on the side so that you can use your thumbnail. I think Nockturnal finally stole this idea.

11boo

WKR
I saw those on amazon this morning. Good to know they are reliable! THanks!

They just work. I have heard other guys here claiming the 10-12$ each brand name stuff is superior.
Mine fit the arrows well, hold tight on the string, turn on when released and can be turned off easy enough. Battery life is a few days. What’s not to like?

China made, but aren’t they all?

I unfortunately resemble that a little. With two small children I do not get out as much as I would like. One great thing about archery is I can shoot for 30 minutes in the back yard, fits in much better that a trip to the range, not to mention it is cheaper.

I can worry about FOC while playing with my daughters, hunting with them is harder at 2 and 4, though the 4 year old did decent on an overnight small game hunt.

Anyway, it is nice to know I should not worry too much about FOC and total weight. @sndmn11 @Mighty Mouse

Thanks everyone for the input.

@Mighty Mouse what calculator are you using?
no need to overthink it, none of it is magic. i have been all over the board, and unless you are trying to build a super low foc arrow, you will likely not know any different. foc makes a lot of sense to me, but i just haven't seen it matter in the real world.... tune and arrow speed are the 2 things that matter for arrow flight, and how forgiving it is, i cannot tell the difference in forgiveness between 8% foc and 28% foc, and same with performance on game.... arrow flight, arrow weight, and arrow speed matter more than foc.... maybe foc matters more with low energy setups, but the specs you are talking about, it just won't matter.... shoot them well, they die fast.... shoot them poorly, they don't.... that's the only real patterns i have seen watching a lot of arrows run through game (mostly roosies)

i have never made any sense of people building arrow setups for the rare outlier shots, build your arrows for good shots, the rest is luck. i like to keep things simple now, i want 2 holes on the biggest animals i'll be hunting if only ribs are encountered, that leaves me wiggle room on any arrow build, and it gives me wiggle room on broadheads.... really doesn't take anything special to fit that criteria even on a huge bodied roosie bull, whatever you build sounds like it will fit that criteria, you will blow through a broadside moose without considering foc on your arrow build.... shoot one in the knuckle, it's a crapshoot at best no matter your foc

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Most of the guys that have archery Super Slams of North American game animals are using arrows and setups that all the internet experts would poo-poo 💩

Don’t get bogged down in the details and minutiae…middle of the road has and always will work well.