Light weight tarp/ground sheet

Looking for a real light tarp that would work as an emergency shelter and be able to put it on the ground to put meat on to bone out an elk..

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
There are many companies out there that make a basic dyneema sheet/tarp. Brands like Gossamer, Six Moon, Mountain Laurel, Hyperlight Mountain Gear, ZPacks, Hammock Gear, Dutchware, Bear Paw Wilderness, etc... Obviously it's a ton more money than a nylon one, but damn they're light and tough.

I bought a "2nds" dyneema tent footprint from Z-packs for $100 when I was already placing a different order. That's my tarp for keeping meat off the dirt, or rain off my hanging meat, and it's an emergency shelter. It's 3oz and rolls up to the size of a racquetball.
I would just search all those brands to see who has a 2nds or a sale or something.
Oh, there are people making good dyneema gear on Etsy too.

OP
W
There are many companies out there that make a basic dyneema sheet/tarp. Brands like Gossamer, Six Moon, Mountain Laurel, Hyperlight Mountain Gear, ZPacks, Hammock Gear, Dutchware, Bear Paw Wilderness, etc... Obviously it's a ton more money than a nylon one, but damn they're light and tough.

I bought a "2nds" dyneema tent footprint from Z-packs for $100 when I was already placing a different order. That's my tarp for keeping meat off the dirt, or rain off my hanging meat, and it's an emergency shelter. It's 3oz and rolls up to the size of a racquetball.
I would just search all those brands to see who has a 2nds or a sale or something.
Oh, there are people making good dyneema gear on Etsy too.
thanks never thought about checking on blemished type stuff to save cost. Do you get holes in the Dyneema by using on the ground under the meat?

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Do you get holes in the Dyneema by using on the ground under the meat?
dyneema is super strong/tough, you'd have to really try hard to abuse it that badly.
Fun fact: I used to make carbon fiber spars for huge sailboats. We would put a last layer of dyneema cloth over the carbon fiber laminate in areas where ropes might rub on the pole. Previously we had been using kevlar, but switched to dyneema because it's ~5x stronger and more abrasion resistant than kevlar.

rcb2000

WKR

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Second vote for the Borah gear tarp. I use one with a Tyvek ground cloth. The Tyvek is great but you really need to break it in first. Wash and then dry it with some tennis balls in the dryer to beat it up otherwise it's slick and noisy!

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I have a MLD DCF ground cloth that I use to sleep on, and have broke down a mule deer on it. It’s the duo size and could be used in a rainstorm. I also have a sheep tarp that is the perfect emergency tarp for me. Sometimes I use them both with a bivy. I don’t think I would stack meat on the sheep tarp but the Dyneema MLD cleans very easily, and works well for that.

Dyneema is impossible to beat as a shelter, but I wouldn't lay it on the ground and toss an elk quarter on it. It's far too valuable for that. Silnylon or silpoly is the best bang for the buck.

Were I to buy one now, I'd go with Bear Paw Wilderness Designs. $55 for a 5x9 tarp you won't be afraid to use is a good deal. Plus, it's ample sized for protecting a bivy in the worst high country storms. It may not be comfortable in prolonged snow or rain, but you'll survive.

Tbuckus

WKR
Not the lightest but very affordable is silnylon
I made some emergency shelter/kill sheets for my buddies and have worked well.
Sewed up edges and made dienouts in the corners.
First time I got to use one in one trip we had a rouge snow storm hit us for a half hour. Pulled out the tarp, tied off corners and my buddy sat under it passed. Ended up shooting a bear later that day and used it for
meat as we cut it up.
Washed it at home and ready for the next hunt.

Silnylon or silpoly is the best bang for the buck.

Were I to buy one now, I'd go with Bear Paw Wilderness Designs. $55 for a 5x9 tarp you won't be afraid to use is a good deal. Plus, it's ample sized for protecting a bivy in the worst high country storms. It may not be comfortable in prolonged snow or rain, but you'll survive.

I agree with the quoted part of this post.

thelocal

FNG
Another vote for Borah gear, just ordered mine after a lot of research. Should be here in time for elk season. Light enough that I can throw it in a daypack if weather looks dicey but should be sturdy enough to use as shelter for a multiday.

thelocal

FNG
Could also look at the SOL Emergency Blankets, especially if the primary use is going to be putting meat on it. Weight to cost it may be your best bet.