light weight .300 win mag build, defiance action choice

pc3

WKR
Just wanting peoples opinion. I am going to have a lighter weight .300 WM built. I do have a liking of CRF actions and 3 position saftey's. Anyway have a couple of questions and wanting other peoples opinions. I like integral lugs and rails, these have both

It'll probably be a defiance action, I have spoken with one of the Australian suppliers a couple of times my options are (I'd love a chrome moly action over stainless but not doable in these options apparently, tougher than stainless);

1. GA Hunter, 3 pos safety and CRF

2. Deviant Ultra lite 3 pos safety and CRF (bit restrictive with only one slot for mounting front and rear)

2. AntiX

For a lighter weight build you save something like 5-6 ounces I think going with the AntiX...is it worth the weight saving....i'll probably opt to spend some ounces with the scope likely an NX8 2.5-20

Also would the GA hunter be more durable, as it has less weight stripped out of it, or is this a non issue ?

Given its a lite weight build forget CRF etc. and save the weight and run the ANTIx ?

Thanks

You might also take a look at the Defiance Rebel action for your build. You have a long list of options you can specify when you order, I think they will do most of what your are looking for except maybe the CRF?? The two I have both came in at 25 ozs so not bad.

If you spec out the Rebel correctly it comes in maybe 4-5 ozs more than an AnTi but you can likely get most everything you want.

Reactions: pc3

Decker9

WKR
I just got my GA Hunter in yesterday. It’s noticeably heavier then my anti action I think (anti is built already so can’t compare just the actions).

I must say though, the GA feels solid! But really is a non issue overall though. To go with a deviant, I think a guy would be buying it for its options, over the anti.

I really like the bolt handle on the deviant compared to the anti I have. With my anti build, I can’t cycle the bolt with my leupold scope cover on. The deviant has the swept bolt handle which I prefer.

Sorry I can’t comment on the CRF, but I’d agree, I like them a lot too.

Reactions: pc3

Decker9

WKR
Something else I learnt today, the deviant has an anti bind system built in. If I cock on my anti bolt, it binds up when cycled. On the deviant, it still slides smooth even if torqued on sideways a bit. Cool feature.

Attachments

• BA811D23-25BE-42F6-9B48-F2260BB8C57C.jpeg
    BA811D23-25BE-42F6-9B48-F2260BB8C57C.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 33
Just wanting peoples opinion. I am going to have a lighter weight .300 WM built. I do have a liking of CRF actions and 3 position saftey's. Anyway have a couple of questions and wanting other peoples opinions. I like integral lugs and rails, these have both

It'll probably be a defiance action, I have spoken with one of the Australian suppliers a couple of times my options are (I'd love a chrome moly action over stainless but not doable in these options apparently, tougher than stainless);

1. GA Hunter, 3 pos safety and CRF

2. Deviant Ultra lite 3 pos safety and CRF (bit restrictive with only one slot for mounting front and rear)

2. AntiX

For a lighter weight build you save something like 5-6 ounces I think going with the AntiX...is it worth the weight saving....i'll probably opt to spend some ounces with the scope likely an NX8 2.5-20

Also would the GA hunter be more durable, as it has less weight stripped out of it, or is this a non issue ?

Given its a lite weight build forget CRF etc. and save the weight and run the ANTIx ?

Thanks
Any of those actions will be plenty strong
One thing to consider with a LA and integral bases is that you'll be pretty limited on mounting location with shorter scopes.
The nx8 has a really short tube and very unforgiving eye box, even if it can be mounted it will likely not be where you want it.
I built my lighterweight 30 nos on the regular AnTi action and couldn't be happier, my March FX scope would never have worked without a pic rail

OP
P

pc3

WKR
Hard Choice...do I sacrifice some ounces for the GA hunter with anti bind etc......

Mubs

FNG
I did a lightweight 300WM build last year and went Anti with proof barrel and proof lightweight hunter stock - love it. Wouldn’t change a thing

eoperator

WKR
My 3rd anti should be delivered tomorrow. They may not have as many options as the more expensive models but for me they do everything good enough while having a smaller price tag and availability. Check around you will find an anti in stock instead of waiting a year ordering a deviant. Switching out the anti bolt handle with a longer one has elevated any problems with scope clearance for me.

SDHNTR

WKR
Do you intend to hunt dangerous game? If not I say Anti. If so, stick with the Deviant and crf.