Light vs Heavy Arrow real life trajectory experiment

ianpadron

WKR
Pretty excellent illustration of how little difference in trajectory going heavier with your arrow setup is compared to a standard 10 gpi build inside of 25 yards. 10/10 redneck ingenuity on Jeff's contraption he built to test this too.

Cool video. Thanks
What's with dogs and targets? Mine does the same.
Both of mine are the same way lol, no idea what goes through their minds. Absolutely mandatory to take a leak on the fence post next to my target right as I'm getting set up.

I was shooting arrows that were too light that I could not get to broadhead tune. After changing to a stiffer heavier arrow, it was surprising how much longer it my arrow took to hit the target at 60 yards. It also made my bow a lot quieter. With a sight you can dial I prefer to err on the side of a bit too heavy than to light.

good test.

4" drop with 650g is significant

I dunno what the big deal is, if you want to shoot heavy- then do it.

A 450g arrow will kill anything in NA....
Yeah, I’ve seen this video before, and a 4” drop is a chunk, but it won’t ruin your world if you’re used to it. I agree that weight gets a little crazy sometimes, and a 450 grain arrow will do the job fine.

I shoot heavy because it feels nicer and it’s a lot quieter. Thats about it.

Yeah, I’ve seen this video before, and a 4” drop is a chunk, but it won’t ruin your world if you’re used to it. I agree that weight gets a little crazy sometimes, and a 450 grain arrow will do the job fine.

I shoot heavy because it feels nicer and it’s a lot quieter. Thats about it.
The noise difference is definitely significant. Even a 525 vs 615 for me is very noticeable in the noise department.

I look at the arrow weight thing differently....and it's different from a compound or Trad perspective as it affects the way we aim in Trad...Compound not so much.

A guy shooting instinctive at 20y and in is less affected by a heavy arrow.

A guy like myself, that shoots field rounds out to 70y....a heavy arrow gives me a bigger gap at 20 and 25y- not good. No matter your aiming system, we know from the many top shooters that the smaller gap is always going to be more accurate- thus the extreme accuracy of a fixed crawl.

So I look at it this way; Setup your bow for accuracy at the distances you shoot either in the field or at Critters.

In my case, I want that 25-30y as small a gap as possible for more accuracy without going to an uber light arrow. I can't get that with a heavy arrow. My 553g arrow has a 1" plus gap at 20y. The 434g is about 5/8"- and that is a huge difference when referencing the tip of your arrow.

It's not JUST the trajectory of the arrow as the vid implies...but also how your aiming system works in a real world scenario.

Now, a guy can work up a heavy arrow that gives him the exact point on he wants- that works too...but the longer shots are going to be a guesstimate aiming way over the back of the critter. If you have ever shot a 60,70y target you know what thats like.

I look at the arrow weight thing differently....and it's different from a compound or Trad perspective as it affects the way we aim in Trad...Compound not so much.

A guy shooting instinctive at 20y and in is less affected by a heavy arrow.

A guy like myself, that shoots field rounds out to 70y....a heavy arrow gives me a bigger gap at 20 and 25y- not good. No matter your aiming system, we know from the many top shooters that the smaller gap is always going to be more accurate- thus the extreme accuracy of a fixed crawl.

So I look at it this way; Setup your bow for accuracy at the distances you shoot either in the field or at Critters.

In my case, I want that 25-30y as small a gap as possible for more accuracy without going to an uber light arrow. I can't get that with a heavy arrow. My 553g arrow has a 1" plus gap at 20y. The 434g is about 5/8"- and that is a huge difference when referencing the tip of your arrow.

It's not JUST the trajectory of the arrow as the vid implies...but also how your aiming system works in a real world scenario.

Now, a guy can work up a heavy arrow that gives him the exact point on he wants- that works too...but the longer shots are going to be a guesstimate aiming way over the back of the critter. If you have ever shot a 60,70y target you know what thats like.
I'm of the KISS mentality with a trad bow, especially for hunting, which I'm assuming the video is intended for.

I'll never loose an arrow at a deer past 20, elk at 25. All to do with skill, not ethics. I shoot instinctive. I don't range anything, just point n shoot. I'm the guy you mention in your 2nd paragraph for sure.

Only tangible difference between heavy and light arrows for me is a far quieter bow. There's no circumstance I'd ever be holding over a critter with a bow, so I haven't even considered trajectory.

If I was shooting targets competitively at 70 yards, a 600+ grain arrow would indeed be inferior.

I'm of the KISS mentality with a trad bow, especially for hunting, which I'm assuming the video is intended for.

I'll never loose an arrow at a deer past 20, elk at 25. All to do with skill, not ethics. I shoot instinctive. I don't range anything, just point n shoot. I'm the guy you mention in your 2nd paragraph for sure.

Only tangible difference between heavy and light arrows for me is a far quieter bow. There's no circumstance I'd ever be holding over a critter with a bow, so I haven't even considered trajectory.

If I was shooting targets competitively at 70 yards, a 600+ grain arrow would indeed be inferior.
I never thought I would be taking a shot at a mule deer with my Compound at 93yds either...but I had practiced stacking pins out to 100y and it came in handy- pinwheeled that wounded buck.

I like a certain trajectory that keeps my arrow point on or on the edges of a deer size body. Point on 25 yards, 20 yards bottom of the chest, and 30 yards top of shoulders/back. Inside 20 is instinctive. About 12 grains per pound for the bows I shoot gets me there. This same trajectory is easiest for me to use on all games sizes with the deer size being in the middle.

When you’re hunting it makes a difference and I have tested myself. When your your shooting really heavy arrows you have to be very spot on with yardage, not always possible in a hunting situation.

When shooting a rifle when talking hit percentage you stack variables to get what the worst possible outcome. It’s the same here and a very heavy arrow adds a lot

When you’re hunting it makes a difference and I have tested myself. When your your shooting really heavy arrows you have to be very spot on with yardage, not always possible in a hunting situation.

When shooting a rifle when talking hit percentage you stack variables to get what the worst possible outcome. It’s the same here and a very heavy arrow adds a lot
Are you speaking from a trad gear perspective?

I felt the video was pretty clear that inside the distances that 99% of traditional shots are taken, you've gotta be shooting a REALLY heavy arrow to wound/miss a critter compared to a lighter arrow.

For compound guys using pins and sliders and all kinds of fancy shit, and shooting way out there, I completely see the advantage of chasing trajectory. Stick bow? Not seeing it, but open to more real world experience to convince me otherwise.

I shoot about a 415 grain arrow at 70 pound draw because the difference between 25 yards and 35 yards isn’t a wounded animal…..

Change that to a 650 grain arrow and you have major problems if you misjudged in the heat of the moment.

Are you speaking from a trad gear perspective?

I felt the video was pretty clear that inside the distances that 99% of traditional shots are taken, you've gotta be shooting a REALLY heavy arrow to wound/miss a critter compared to a lighter arrow.

For compound guys using pins and sliders and all kinds of fancy shit, and shooting way out there, I completely see the advantage of chasing trajectory. Stick bow? Not seeing it, but open to more real world experience to convince me otherwise.
My testing was a lighter poundage shorter draw compound trust was not a speed bow

you are correct this one variable probably won’t be a deal breaker but what if you misjudged yardage by a couple yards, let the arrow go just a bit low from your intended aim point or any number other in field thing that can go wrong. What if they all happen?

It is one variable that can easily be minimized and still have a very deadly system.

Good video, and I might show it to a science class, as Jeff is isolating one variable.
I have trouble shooting high unless I stay 11gpp or so, as a minimum. Hard to explain that feel of a heavier arrow, but it feels "right", and I shoot wood so hard to get real low in overall weight.

I’ve killed more animals with a 450-500 grain arrow outta a 47-50lb longbow at my 25.5 inch draw then most guys even compared to a compound. I’ve yet to find a reason to shoot more then 10 gpp for a stick, compounds even less, like 6-8 gpp is fine. Every year I go lighter and lighter with the trad stuff and haven’t seen an issue yet besides flatter trajectory and smaller gaps.

Broadhead design has more to do with penetration then arrow weight imo.

This video didn’t really show anything. I tested arrow weights of 406, 430, and 480 and found that there’s a huge difference in trajectory between those weights. No big surprise to me, but others don’t seem to grasp the obvious.

If he wanted to show the actual trajectory difference, he would keep that same 25 yard zero and then bring his target to half that distance. He would then see a world of difference.

I’ve killed more animals with a 450-500 grain arrow outta a 47-50lb longbow at my 25.5 inch draw then most guys even compared to a compound. I’ve yet to find a reason to shoot more then 10 gpp for a stick, compounds even less, like 6-8 gpp is fine. Every year I go lighter and lighter with the trad stuff and haven’t seen an issue yet besides flatter trajectory and smaller gaps.

Broadhead design has more to do with penetration then arrow weight imo.

Bingo^....well said.

When a 2 blade head on a kids arrow will blow through any deer....the whole, "I need a heavy arrow for penetration" argument is silly.

That said, a heavy arrow in most bows with guys shooting very short shots really isn't a disadvantage.

Back