Lifetime License

Bert01

FNG
My Dad got me one when I was 14. The price jumps at 16 in SC. both my boys have them and my girls will get them when they get a little older. I think it’s great, I’m 45 and have never had to worry about getting a license or cost increases.

KsRancher

WKR
I have one for Ks. My dad bought me and my brother one for our 16th birthdays. I did the same for my oldest son. Will do the same for my other son and two daughters when they turn 16. I think Ks treats you like a resident for life if you have one. Even if a nonresident still get treated like a resident

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
My state has three categories, infant to 5 years old, 5 to 15 years old, then people 65+ from 65-70 the price goes down drastically, once you’re 70 a lifetime license is only $8 for hunting, fishing, and archery.

I’m turning 30 this year, for whatever reason my parents never got me mine when I was little. My son is 2 months old and either me or his grandpa (my dad) will be forking over the $400 for lifetime regular hunting, fishing, and archery.

When I turn 65 I may get mine, hopefully I’m living in a different state by then

wytx

WKR
I believe in Colorado if you hold a lifetime resident licenses form another state you can not buy resident licenses in Colorado if you move there unless you give back your other state's lifetime license.

We hold lifetime small game, fishing and conservation stamps in Wyoming, spouse has the Texas lifetime license.

Rich M

WKR
I have a lifetime hunt/fish license. Yr or two ago they dropped price to $500 from $1,000 for a couple weeks, bought it then cause the numbers made sense. Plus i get all these extra tags i will rarely use but might.

Back in 2010 i was living in another state long enough to qualify and could have gotten a lifetime for say $500. Since then I spent over $2,100 for licenses there. Woulda been a good call to get that lifetime license.

Lifetime license is great to buy for kids. Money well spent.

OP
M

MNGrouser

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the perspectives. I became such a fan of the lifetime license concept that I sponsored a youth lifetime small game license every year for our local Ruffed Grouse Society banquet. I think I gave close to a dozen kids the ability to grouse hunt MN for the rest of their lives. Buying a license to give it away kinda defeats the purpose of all the money I was "saving" by buying my own but I liked the concept. Unfortunately COVID and an aging committee killed our local chapter of RGS.

bergie

Lil-Rokslider
I don't ever plan on moving out of state, but if I do the first thing I will buy is a lifetime license. Penciling out the math at the age I am now it just doesn't quite make sense. Both my kids are holders of lifetime hunting/fishing licenses though as they are quite a bit cheaper at 0-2 years of age than they are at 2-50 years of age. Sure there is a risk that they won't want to hunt/fish, but in a rare case like that adoption is always available.

antelopedundee

Lil-Rokslider
I do have a Wyoming lifetime conservation stamp. Depending upon your situation they have a number of no cost options for various tags, etc.

Wheels

WKR
I bought a Kansas lifetime license when I lived there over 20 years ago for $300. Not sure what they’re going for now, but was well worth it for me.

I’ve got both VA and NC and don’t regret them. I’m no longer a VA resident but hunt there every year and I still have to buy a nonres deer/turkey license which is a bummer

jermck

FNG
Classified Approved
In MS Lifetime hunting and fishing is $500 if bought before 11 years old. I bought for my son and put in the safe until his 16th birthday in three years.

My parents bought one in Idaho as a gift to me several years ago. I get to apply in the resident pool for tags and drew moose this year. Unlikely I would have that OIL tag without the lifetime license.

I went to pull my paper license out of my wallet at Game and fish for a deer tag and struggled to get it out. I then tore a little bit of it and that confirmed it was time to get a lifetime license here in Az. I dont plan on leaving any time soon, but it is nice not having to buy a license anymore for hunting or fishing. Not having a thin piece of paper is the best perk tho. 😂 The credit card type license is where it is at.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Do you mean if you buy it as a resident? I looked could not find a lifetime non-resident?
Yes; at the time, I was a resident and bought it not expecting to move away but the provision was there that it could be used by NR's if you moved. Some states may not have that provision.
I get the license and attached tags as if I were a resident - like $5 if I get it mailed. I believe other tags/licenses would come at the NR level. For example, to fish, I'd need a NR fishing license [yeah yeah - if I had the $$'s back then I would have gotten a combo license!!].

I edited my original post to clarify [hopefully].

IdahoBeav

WKR
I bought the hunting + fishing for myself and my kids. They're quite a bit cheaper here if you buy before the child is 2 years old.

My wife bought me mine as a wedding gift. Best gift I’ve ever received. Back then it was $500 for a lifetime sportsman license. Yearly license was $40 then. Now it’s $830 for lifetime and $70 for a yearly.

I bought both of children their lifetime license when they were infants. You could get them for $200 if they were less than a year old.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, I am in MN and have Lifetime Licenses for small game, fishing, archery deer and firearms deer. My 3 kids all have the same. It hasnt paid for itself yet, but it will.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
I did it when I left AZ. I still have to pay out of state if I draw a tag but I can put in or buy points every year without having to spring for an out of state license. I have only been back once in nine years but am planning to go back soon.
Far more importantly than tag cost you are in the RESIDENT draw pool. Sure wish I could qualify for an AZ lifetime license.