Life after stents?

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 52 and fairly active, eat pretty well, never smoked, drink wine with dinner on occasion and overall felt really healthy so it feels extremely strange to say that I had a heart attack 3 weeks ago and received 4 stents ( 2 separate procedures) in the last 3 weeks. Fortunately no damage to my heart but my confidence is shaken. Genetically I had some cardiovascular problems I was unaware of. I’m really looking forward to getting back to my passions of hiking, traveling, scouting, and ultimately hunting again but obviously need to consider my potential limitations. It feels pretty damn good to just be alive BUT I still have so many things I would like to do! More than anything I’ve learned you never do know when your time is up and want to cross as much off my list as possible. The moving forward is not only for me but for my wife who is now scared for me to leave her side. Currently I have 2024-25 hunting licenses for three different states in the Northeast and Midwest and 6+ points in 2 other western states. Will I get back to where I was (or better) physically someday? Will I be able to continue doing what I love? I’m looking for some advice, guidance, experiences etc to help me understand what has happened to me.

hiker270

WKR
A friend of mine had a heart attack in 2018, had 2 stents put in. Doctor told him to return to his normal lifestyle immediately. He does not hunt but is a very active guy that does a lot of hiking and mountain biking. He is around 70 now and says he feels great and feels the heart attack with stents has not affected his lifestyle at all.

I am 62 as of last week. I had to have a stent four years ago. As long as you don't other issues stents generally improve your ability to do things. What does your cardiologist say? If it was me, and it was me…
I would go do what I wanted but take it slow and easy. Monitor how you feel. I got my stent in November and hunted the Alabama rut in January. I wasn't dragging deer all over the woods or hiking long distances but I got out there and been out there ever since. After that hunting season I yak fished in the salt all spring and summer. In the event you cant be as physical safely then find other ways to enjoy the outdoors that wont risk your health. Good luck.

goosedog

FNG
This post really hits home with me I just turned 47 very active tall skinny eat very healthy diet never smoked light drinker have guided elk and deer hunts for alot of years and consider myself in very good shape for just turning 47 and I June I go in for a calcium score and a scan of my heart and vessels only reason is it was suggested by my cardiologist because of my age and my family history of cardiovascular disease that's why I started going to a cardiologist i wanted to avoid any of this in the future since my dad went thru this,well let's say the results were shocking 2 arteries were narrowed about 70-80% and another 2 pushing 90% I have never had any indication I had a problem to say the least I was shocked along with my doctor he had me do a nuclear stress test in which I crushed according to the tech took 15mins to get heart rate up to 147 well it revealed even more and just this last Monday I had two stents put in and 2 spots that he just ballooned out since they were to small for stents and I will have to go back in for 1 more Stent for sure possibly two these last few months have been a emotional train wreck thankfully my cardiologist is amazing along with his team around him I have been a big topic on his cardiologist panel I feel I'm in good hands I leave to hunt in 3 weeks and then start my fall guiding elk hunts I find out Monday when I go back in for the next procedure just went for my first 4 mile loop I do to stay in shape and I felt great no problems but I never had any to begin with as far as discomfort goes all,I can say is please go get a calcium score it's cheep and only takes a few mins and see a cardiologist it's well worth it

OP
DooleyVT

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
This post really hits home with me I just turned 47 very active tall skinny eat very healthy diet never smoked light drinker have guided elk and deer hunts for alot of years and consider myself in very good shape for just turning 47 and I June I go in for a calcium score and a scan of my heart and vessels only reason is it was suggested by my cardiologist because of my age and my family history of cardiovascular disease that's why I started going to a cardiologist i wanted to avoid any of this in the future since my dad went thru this,well let's say the results were shocking 2 arteries were narrowed about 70-80% and another 2 pushing 90% I have never had any indication I had a problem to say the least I was shocked along with my doctor he had me do a nuclear stress test in which I crushed according to the tech took 15mins to get heart rate up to 147 well it revealed even more and just this last Monday I had two stents put in and 2 spots that he just ballooned out since they were to small for stents and I will have to go back in for 1 more Stent for sure possibly two these last few months have been a emotional train wreck thankfully my cardiologist is amazing along with his team around him I have been a big topic on his cardiologist panel I feel I'm in good hands I leave to hunt in 3 weeks and then start my fall guiding elk hunts I find out Monday when I go back in for the next procedure just went for my first 4 mile loop I do to stay in shape and I felt great no problems but I never had any to begin with as far as discomfort goes all,I can say is please go get a calcium score it's cheep and only takes a few mins and see a cardiologist it's well worth it
I feel you brother and figured there were other stories like ours. As of right now I feel way more mentally scarred than physically. I never saw or felt this coming on and I had one artery with 100% blockage and three 80%. I bear hunted the day before my heart attack and carried a backpack, tree stand and sticks about 5 miles. But because I felt so good I hadn’t been to the doctor in years so please Rokslide go get checked out. I would love to hear more about your progress man and how your fall goes if you get some time. PM me where you might be guiding in the future and maybe I can burn some points in your area and you can help me cross some things off my bucket list. Good luck with everything you do.

goosedog

FNG
I was destroyed mentally could barely look at my wife and kids and not think how i failed them or let them down ,didn't sleep good for a few months would wake up all the time and be thankful that I did my dad was my biggest help he went thru the same thing 15 years ago 3 clogged 100% we had alot of late night talks when I couldn't sleep always reminded me that he is fine now and gets a clean bill of health when he see the cardiologist now,I went in to get a stint a month ago and they found more than they thought at first this really set me back as they were not able to fix anything in that procedure that was my lowest point especially because I felt fine and was still exercising and preparing for the season but after this last procedure I feel so much better knowing that they fixed 4 blockages and I'm better off now than a week ago especially since my cardiologist knows that I push it hard he told me go about life as normal once this is all fixed and that the stents will outlast me he wanted me to skip hunting until the next two spots are fixed my wife laughed and said good luck with that, he will try to get them done before I leave and thankfully the recovery is fast 2 days and I'm back to normal they went thru my wrist little easier than the groin I guess for recovery

cjdewese

WKR
My dad has had two different heart attacks and has put in 4 total stints.

He just turned 72 and can out hike and walk most 30-40 year olds.

I lost my mom when she was 49 to a heart attack so having my dad go through two was rough.

Once my mom passed he ate really well and exercised more than most guys his age so when he had his 1st it was really tough mentally but he has since learned to trust his docs when they say to go on as normal.

Getting into health issues that highlight our mortality is jarring, especially at a “youngish” age. It takes a while to get passed that feeling that you have the grim reaper looking over your shoulder, but in my experience it gets better with time.
The only advice I would offer in terms of CVD is that if you are all “plugged up” at a young age despite a “healthy diet”, then I would reconsider what is healthy. What works for some people may not be appropriate for your phenotype. There is a term for doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome, but I’m sure we’re all familiar with it.

Had 3 stents put in at the same time when I was 61. Felt the best I had in long time immediately after. I had them put in on Friday night, released on Saturday, back at work Sunday night. Knock on wood it's been great having an open pipeline instead of running on empty like I was. 99%, 95% & 80% blocked were opened up. Been 8 years and at 69, I feel purdy dang good.

cjdewese

WKR
Had 3 stents put in at the same time when I was 61. Felt the best I had in long time immediately after. I had them put in on Friday night, released on Saturday, back at work Sunday night. Knock on wood it's been great having an open pipeline instead of running on empty like I was. 99%, 95% & 80% blocked were opened up. Been 8 years and at 69, I feel purdy dang good.
Happy to hear it, sounds a lot like my dad's experience.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
My brother has 8 stents! He needs to loose some weight, but has never been a smoker or drinker...etc. He was in his early 50s when he got his first 4. We have been hunting in the mountains since the stents, but we take our time. If it takes an extra hour to get up the mountain, then so be it. It is kind of nerve racking for me though, what if something happens back here in the bush.

what if something happens back here in the bush.
He should be carrying some emergency pills. You need to know which pocket he keeps them in. You need to have a way of calling for help, either cell or satellite. You need to know how to do CPR. Then go at a reasonable pace and enjoy life to it's fullest.