Leverevolution with 223 77 TMK load?

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody have a recipe that’s working for you using Leverevolution in a 223 load with a 77 TMK or 75 ELDM? Can’t find XBR to save my life so that’s what I’ve got. Thanks!

Forgot to mention I’ve got once fired Hornady and Norma brass Ill be using

Last edited:
I’ve been using 25.5 gr with each. I’ve heard of people going from 25-26 depending on the gun.

If I was you, I would start at 24.5 and see where I could get to.

It has been extremely accurate for me if that makes you feel any better about the 8208

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using 23.5g of xbr with a 77tmk in lapua brass. It consistently has shot between 1.2-1.4 moa for 30 rounds, average velocity is 2775 in a 20” tikka compact barrel.

I just loaded up 25 and 26g of LVR a couple days ago using the 77tmk in starline brass. The 25g load shot 1.3 for 20 rounds average velocity was 2705, the 26g load shot 1.8 with an average of 2720. The temp was 34F, the xbr load held it’s typical average velocity and shot 1.2 for 20 rounds. The LVR was slower but that 25g load shows a lot of promise being within .1 of the baseline xbr load. I can live with the velocity loss to use it as an easy to obtain substitute. The ES for the 25g LVR load was half of that of the 23.5 xbr.

BLJ

WKR
In for this. I’m about out of XBR myself and will soon be switching to Lever.
Has the Lever been temp stable?

I don’t have a chrono and haven’t checked it in enough conditions to tell you for sure on velocity stability, but I can tell you that even in 100+ degree heat that load doesn’t change to too hot for the gun or anything

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have any info to share on temp stability yet, being a double base ball powder I’m sure it’s not great but should work fine enough for the 223 in its useable range.

Reactions: BLJ

Wrongside

WKR
I’ve shot a lot of Lever using the 75ELD. It is not temp stable. At all. I’m pretty sure I’ll burn up what I have left, then switch powders. But, I’m hoping to do more experimentation this winter, spring, and summer to determine how much it varies.

The load is quite accurate out of a Tikka Varm 223 1-8 though. And it meters very nicely.

BLJ

WKR
I’ve shot a lot of Lever using the 75ELD. It is not temp stable. At all. I’m pretty sure I’ll burn up what I have left, then switch powders. But, I’m hoping to do more experimentation this winter, spring, and summer to determine how much it varies.

The load is quite accurate out of a Tikka Varm 223 1-8 though. And it meters very nicely.
What were you noticing and at what temps did it start giving you issues? Thanks.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
The question is how much does temp stability matter on a 223 in its realistic usable range. The difference in drop at 500 going from 2780-2680 fps is .3mil at sea level. It would be easy enough to account for temp changes and figure the correction at 223 distances.

BLJ

WKR
The question is how much does temp stability matter on a 223 in its realistic usable range. The difference in drop at 500 going from 2780-2680 fps is .3mil at sea level. It would be easy enough to account for temp changes and figure the correction at 223 distances.
I’ll admit that I never thought about it from this angle.
I was more concerned with pressure spikes causing a safety issue.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll admit that I never thought about it from this angle.
I was more concerned with pressure spikes causing a safety issue.
That’s why I’m going to run the 25g load in my rifle, at 26 I only gained 20fps, had a worse ES and accuracy. I have seen several guys running 26-26.5 without problems, running 25 should keep me well in the clear especially since I won’t shoot much over 80 degrees with it. Backing the load off a little with a temp sensitive powder has done well for me so far. I may explore the 25.5 load as things warm up but it’s doubtful.

BLJ

WKR
Sounds like I’ll start at 24 and ease into. See how things go. Thanks.

OP
Ranger 692

Ranger 692

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the help. 24.5 and 25 gr loads looked like this. 25 degrees out mag length coal. Groups were much larger under 24.5

IMG_2010.jpeg

Last edited: