Level/lift kit question

When I bought my 17 ram it had a level kit on it that did not replace the UCAs. The ball joints needed to be replaced at 30,000 miles. I changed it out to a kit that replaced the UCAs and ball joints and have not had a problem for the past 70,000 miles. I think it's worth the extra money

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
When I bought my 17 ram it had a level kit on it that did not replace the UCAs. The ball joints needed to be replaced at 30,000 miles. I changed it out to a kit that replaced the UCAs and ball joints and have not had a problem for the past 70,000 miles. I think it's worth the extra money

Thank you for the info. Did you have the air ride or standard shocks/springs? I have air ride and looking at the revel block and links.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I would also strongly consider 2" or even 1.5".
It's a 2" block that goes on top of the air shocks. The links fool the computer into thinking its at the regular ride height. With the air ride on the RAMs you have "aero", "normal", "OR1", and "OR2" ride height options that you toggle from the cab. All of the options remain fully functional, but your starting height is 2" taller due to the block. You are speed limited in both OR1 and OR2, with max of 20 mph. So essentially its a 2" level with the option of raising it when going off road.

99% of my driving is in normal (gravel) and aero (highway).

CorbLand

WKR
Personally, I would run it and see if it wears out your ball joints any faster. I had a 2 inch spacer puck on my old tundra and I didnt get any less life out of my ball joints than before. Its not like its something that cant be changed later if need be.

I bought a used 2021 F150 at the end of 2022 with 40,000 miles. Took it in today for an insane amount of squeaking on any kind of drive. Original owner lifted without replacing the UCA’s and it wore out the ball joints. Just over 70,000 miles now and looks like I will need to replace UCA and ball joints on the front end.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Personally, I would run it and see if it wears out your ball joints any faster. I had a 2 inch spacer puck on my old tundra and I didnt get any less life out of my ball joints than before. Its not like its something that cant be changed later if need be.
That's what I was thinking too. These kits have been out for several years, and they just added the "advanced" kit in the last year or so. For an extra $500 I'm inclined to see how it does without them.

I'm not sure if they added the UCA to make more money or out of "necessity".

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I bought a used 2021 F150 at the end of 2022 with 40,000 miles. Took it in today for an insane amount of squeaking on any kind of drive. Original owner lifted without replacing the UCA’s and it wore out the ball joints. Just over 70,000 miles now and looks like I will need to replace UCA and ball joints on the front end.
How high did he lift it?

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
Here's another angle... These UCAs are Ready Lift brand and come with the little nipple mount for the links. Does anybody have experience with Ready Lift products, and if so, are they worth the extra $$$, or could a guy get a better UCA for less?

SloppyJ

WKR
I've lifted around 5 trucks now, pretty much all of the big brands. As I've gotten a little older I won't do anything but a coilover lift with new UCAs. It's the best option and allows your truck to get back into alignment spec. Bilsteins are okay but if you crank them up and ride on the upper end of their travel, I've found them harshly rough. I'd recommend the fox 2.5PEs or Kings. I'm not sure who makes good UCAs for dodge but I bet you can find out with a little research.

I've had bottom tier budget to high end. If you run something like the RC coils and UCAs expect to only get a couple years out of them before they need replacement. Atleast that's been my experience. If you're planning on keeping the truck, put some good stuff on it.

fmyth

WKR
It's a 2" block that goes on top of the air shocks. The links fool the computer into thinking its at the regular ride height. With the air ride on the RAMs you have "aero", "normal", "OR1", and "OR2" ride height options that you toggle from the cab. All of the options remain fully functional, but your starting height is 2" taller due to the block. You are speed limited in both OR1 and OR2, with max of 20 mph. So essentially its a 2" level with the option of raising it when going off road.

A 2" lift is going to increase the angle of your front axle CV joints. Increasing the CV angle causes increased wear on the CV's/boots and increases the chance of breaking a CV when 4wd is engaged.

180ls1

WKR

For what its worth, I lifted my Lexus 2.5" (air also) and it really diminished the ride quality. I also did UCA and all the supporting stuff. I kinda regret it.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
For what its worth, I lifted my Lexus 2.5" (air also) and it really diminished the ride quality. I also did UCA and all the supporting stuff. I kinda regret it.
The Revel kit with the puck and links eliminates any ride quality impact as the static 2" height is achieved without inflating the air shocks. When you lift into OR1 and OR2, ride quality is reduced as your inflating the shocks.

FWIW, I reached out to Revel yesterday, and they also recommended the UCA upgrade as even short distances on rough terrain in OR1 and OR2 puts considerable stress on the lower ball joints. As guys have mentioned, the upgraded UCA improves the geometry and keeps it within alignment spec.

For these RAM trucks, the sway bar links are another soft spot, and guys on the 5th Gen Ram forum recommend upgrading these as well. My sway bar bushings need replaced anyways, so probably hit these if/when i get the Revel kit.

Thank you for all the comments, I appreciate it!

Here's another angle... These UCAs are Ready Lift brand and come with the little nipple mount for the links. Does anybody have experience with Ready Lift products, and if so, are they worth the extra $$$, or could a guy get a better UCA for less?
My lift is the ready lift. No issues for the past 50,000 miles. As stated I would probably only go to 2 inches. 2.5 inches would be a true level for a ram

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I have a GX460 that I may lift at some point in the future. It is non-air ride, and I've looked into the Dobinson's adjustable coilover kit for front and rear. Its supposed to be a bullet proof "medium" kit with 2.5" up front and around 1" in the back to correct the rake.

Weldor

WKR
I keep mine at stock height, my brother calls it a grandpa truck. 2018 Megacab 6.7. I found through my years of jeeps, rover, landcruiser, ford the list goes on. Seems like once you go down the rabbit hole the problems start and sometimes they become a money pit. Seen way to many over lifted trucks need spindles cracked frame etc. I stick with the factory engineering for my needs. One other thing about leveling kits without rear airbags is with a heavy tongue weight your stressing that front end by taking the weight off it. JMHO

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
I keep mine at stock height, my brother calls it a grandpa truck. 2018 Megacab 6.7. I found through my years of jeeps, rover, landcruiser, ford the list goes on. Seems like once you go down the rabbit hole the problems start and sometimes they become a money pit. Seen way to many over lifted trucks need spindles cracked frame etc. I stick with the factory engineering for my needs. One other thing about leveling kits without rear airbags is with a heavy tongue weight your stressing that front end by taking the weight off it. JMHO
Thank you for the feedback, and one nice feature of the RAM air ride is that it automatically inflates the rear to level the load when hauling trailers.