Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 question

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been a vortex user for quite a while.. I recently put a Leupold on my 6.5 CM and I love it.. I’m thinking of putting the VX-6HD 4-24 on my 7mm.. anyone have first hand experience with that scope? The only thing I don’t like about leupold is the eye relief (not quite as forgiving as vortex IMO).. with the CDS and a 200 year zero I should be able to dial past 1000 shouldn’t I? Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
Are you set on a CDS versus a mil or moa based dial?

I have no experience with the vx-6 but I absolutely love my Mark5. Might be worth having a look at it. I have a 20 moa rail under mine and I have enough elevation to take my creedmoor beyond 1700 yards.

Here’s my issue with the CDS, especially for us in Montana. Our temperature and elevation swings during any given hunting season or even day can be dramatic enough that you can easily move out of the average density altitude that your CDS was set up to operate in. At medium distances you’ll probably still hit an animal target but at longer ranges, you will not be as precise as you would with a solver and a mil or moa dial.

I’m pretty set on the CDS or at least a yardage dial.. I have never really taken the time to figure out the MIL/MOA systems.. I want something that is simple but effective.. I do understand the temp and altitude swings, but I generally hunt the same area same time and always figured that I would just spring for another turret if I ever drew a goat or sheep tag.. the Mark V caught my eye as well..

It’s a little overwelming to try and wrap your head around mils or moa from reading on the internet. It’s way easier when you’ve got someone walking you through it at the range. I don’t like having to rely on ordering the correct dial that’s going to work for all the different circumstances. With a mil or moa based scope and a solver on your phone you’re all set. A lot of guys print out dope cards in 1000 DA increments and tape or velcro the appropriate dope card for the day to the butt stock.

I’m just over the hill from you if you ever want to connect or hit the range let me know. My range runs a bunch of matches throughout the year and there’s a hunter class that’s a great entry into matches and excellent practice for hunters as it’s based on real life hunting positions.

I will definitely take you up on that.. I’m outside the country but I’ll be back before bear season starts so I’ll need to get some range time!

I have this scope. I love it; best glass I have. I also shoot 5-20 shv (2) and lrhs. Mine is mounted to a 338 RUM. I have dialed back and forth from 500 to 750. Longest kills have been at 700,650,and 600. All one shot. Tracking it very accurate. You will love the glass. Very clear.

I don’t use a cds. My elevation and temps change tomuch. I know it’s not your preference but you may want to try it without a custom turret

I have one of these I'm probably going to sell, ended up with it and don't have a rifle for it is all, let me know if you have some interest

Back