Leupold VX-6 or Zeiss Conquest HD5

Looking for new glass on my rifle. I will do the turret model Zeiss or the CDS model leupold.

Both are around the $1k price range, so similar costs. Both are similar weights, the leupold is a 30mm tube.

I have played with leupolds CDS system, but have never touched the Zeiss turret system....which is easier to use?

The quality of glass seems to be similar?

Leupold VX-6 3-18x44

Zeiss conquest HD5 locking turret 3-15x42

Zeiss Conquest might be a decent scope, but where are they made now? I read that the Terra line of Zeiss is made in China. At least the Leupold is made in the US. I would personally go with the Loopy

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't used the Zeiss.

Really like the VX6. The zero stop is one of the best out there. (No shimming) The glass is very impressive. And, I like the 3-18 power range.

I like the idea of 3-18 over 3-15 but after hearing so many stories of how Leupold did a great job of replacing someone's scope after it puked, I would go with Zeiss.
If this is for a mountain rifle, I'd take a look at the weight difference, too.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plenty of stories of zeiss failures also. My partners scope failed right before our Alaska trip this year but zeiss replaced it before our trip and he sings praise for thier customer service. Shrek sings a different song about zeiss CS. Guess nothing is a sure thing

OP
B
I downloaded the zeiss app and played with the ballistics calulator for the RZ600 or 800 ballistic reticle and it seems pretty slick. One of the main reasons for buying a new scope is to have a way to "dial up" long shots and not just guess hold over.

Does anyone have any experience with the zeiss ballistic reticle setup?...accuracy is my main concern. I shoot factory loads, and they do have a wide variety of choices. Plus it seems that I could switch to a different rifle really easily.

Thanks for all of the replies by the way.

ahlgringo

WKR
I run a 3x9 conquest with the rz600 on my tikka 06'. I shoot 180 g core lokts (the gun loves em) anyway with the ballistics calc app it said opt mag was 7.5. I always run it on 9x so just made myself a little "dope chart" and put it on the inside if the flip cap. Took a decent 5x5 at 450 yds this yr. i like the simplicity of it. Never had a prob with the scope and i have been pretty hard on it. At the range the rz has been good to 550.

Simple but works for me, hope that helps

cnrx

FNG
I have the HD5 5-25 with the rz-800 on my RUM. I have only been able to shoot out to 600, but so far it has been accurate

I noticed that leupold has a vx6 CDs-z the z is a new locking turret haven't held one yet but looks like a nice new feature

A bullet drop compensating reticle is only as accurate as the data you gather by testing it on your rifle. I think the leupy is a nice scope, haven't tried the hd5 but I gather they are a big step up from the lousy Terra line.

GKPrice

Banned
I like the idea of 3-18 over 3-15 but after hearing so many stories of how Leupold did a great job of replacing someone's scope after it puked, I would go with Zeiss.
If this is for a mountain rifle, I'd take a look at the weight difference, too.

I'm having trouble understanding if you have a beef with Leupold CS or Zeiss scopes ? Leupold is on par with the best customer service in ANY business I've heard of or dealt with in my 64 years .... maybe a clarification or a story ?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I downloaded the zeiss app and played with the ballistics calulator for the RZ600 or 800 ballistic reticle and it seems pretty slick. One of the main reasons for buying a new scope is to have a way to "dial up" long shots and not just guess hold over.

Does anyone have any experience with the zeiss ballistic reticle setup?...accuracy is my main concern. I shoot factory loads, and they do have a wide variety of choices. Plus it seems that I could switch to a different rifle really easily.

Both of those scopes are a good choice. My brother is a really good hunter but he just does not understand ballistics, turrets, MOA, etc. If I am with him, I usually have to explain to him what to do as far as his scope settings are. Anyway, I got him a zeiss with the rapid z reticle and he absolutely loves it. It is simple and all he has to do is range and put the appropriate reticle stadia on the target. It may take a bit of shooting, as in your power setting to find out exactly where your drops are compared to the stadia lines but it works very well. And the calculator will give you an APPROXIMATE range but you need field data for the best accuracy. For example, the book data on his cartridge showed a certain power setting for 500 yards. We shot that setting and he was 3 inches low at 500. Adjusted the power and he was right on the money. He used the scope for the first time this year and shot these two bucks.

Randy

Attachments

• IMG_2279.jpg
    IMG_2279.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2319.jpg
    IMG_2319.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2323.jpg
    IMG_2323.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 58
I'm having trouble understanding if you have a beef with Leupold CS or Zeiss scopes ? Leupold is on par with the best customer service in ANY business I've heard of or dealt with in my 64 years .... maybe a clarification or a story ?
I use products that make me believe I won't need customer service.
Leupold scopes that I've used had
Bad internal fogging
VX1 had really poor image compared to Burris FFII
Rangefinders were no impressive
I have hear so many stories about how great Leupold CS is, it makes me think their scopes have more malfunctions than other near-premium brands.
I won't own Leupold optics.
I have never heard of anyone needing Zeiss customer service and their Conquest line is very good, optically.
Their Terra line is aptly named...Terrable.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting.. never had an issue with Leupold, but I have only used the VXiii, the VX-3, and VX-6 models. I don't doubt what ya say, just interesting to note the different experiences. I have also use the Burris Fullfield II with the ballistic plex, no issues there either. For rimfire and the AR I picked up some of the newer Redfields. Seem like a decent bargain scope so far

I use products that make me believe I won't need customer service.
Leupold scopes that I've used had
Bad internal fogging
VX1 had really poor image compared to Burris FFII
Rangefinders were no impressive
I have hear so many stories about how great Leupold CS is, it makes me think their scopes have more malfunctions than other near-premium brands.
I won't own Leupold optics.
I have never heard of anyone needing Zeiss customer service and their Conquest line is very good, optically.
Their Terra line is aptly named...Terrable.

I'm not sure you can judge any optic company from entry level product.

Eagle

WKR

As others have stated, the calculator will get you close, but range time is necessary to confirm. The calculator has been within a half power for me out to 500 yards with my z800 reticle on a 4.5-14x44.

neverquit

WKR

If your looking to dial out your shoots skip the ballistic redic all together. Get the lockable target turrets with the fine plex.

Also the conquest and the conquest hd5 are in two diferant leagues

I put a hd5 5-25x50 lockable turrets and their fine plex on a custom 280rem. It's somewhere between a swaro z3 and z5. But with better turrets