Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44

Looking to upgrade from my Vortex (had it for years it’s a great scope but it’s beat up and doesn’t have some of the higher end features I’m looking for) and have been really interested in the Leupold line of sites and their Fire Dot technology. Wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this scope and what they think of it? How good is the glass and clarity at higher magnifications? Thanks.

jimh406

WKR
I bought one on recommendation from people on another site. Some here will say it's a bad scope, and some will say they like it.

Mine has been perfect. However, I haven't used the Firedot feature. I probably wouldn't buy that option again. I haven't hunted in any condition that required it.

OP
AlwaysChasinTailNHorns
I bought one on recommendation from people on another site. Some here will say it's a bad scope, and some will say they like it.

Mine has been perfect. However, I haven't used the Firedot feature. I probably wouldn't buy that option again. I haven't hunted in any condition that required it.
Awesome thanks for the insight. If you don’t mind me asking, what caliber rifle do you have it on? What reticle configuration did you go with?

This is RS so you're gonna be tarred and feathered for even saying the L word. I have one and it's been great, but the gang here have tainted me and I'll be buying a Trijicon next (last 3 have been Trijicon). Take a look at the Accupoint for a nice lighter weight option. The Credo, Huron, and Ascent are basically all the same scope with different details but the Accupoint have a different internal. Having said all that, the 5HD I have has taken one huge hit and multiple 1000 mile one way trips and never had any issues. It's clear and I can see better in low light than any of my Trijicon scopes but none of those are the higher end models. I won't hesitate to take it on big hunts.

Kurts86

WKR
To elaborate on the VX-5HD overall they have pretty good glass and the Leupold illumination is generally pretty crisp. That said illuminated reticle are a nice to have and the battery life can be comically short on most rifle scopes. Reticle design is more important than illumination in all but the first and last 15 minutes of shooting light.

I think 15x is really starting to push the upper limit of magnification for a second focal plan scope. In my mind once you get over 10x First Focal Plane is a good idea because you will find yourself backing off maximum magnification at last light with a 15x 44mm scope. That 2.9mm exit pupil is not the best in low light. Once off 15x your wind calls are no longer consistent without math.

Overall the VX5 would be a nearly perfect scope but the reality is they are not durable, mechanically sounds scopes. On top of that they cost $1k which starts getting into some serious contenders like maven rs1.2 and Nightforce SHV series which are better aiming devices that hold zero.

If you are hell bent on Leupold I’d probably get the 2.5-10x44 Mark 4HD over a VX5. It’s a better setup and flirting with durability, it’s definitely better than a VX5 at the same price point.

You could also say none of this matters because whitetail hunting usually means sub 100 yard chip shots where a 2 moa zero shift is negligible but really any $1,000 scope should hold zero.

OP
AlwaysChasinTailNHorns
To elaborate on the VX-5HD overall they have pretty good glass and the Leupold illumination is generally pretty crisp. That said illuminated reticle are a nice to have and the battery life can be comically short on most rifle scopes. Reticle design is more important than illumination in all but the first and last 15 minutes of shooting light.

I think 15x is really starting to push the upper limit of magnification for a second focal plan scope. In my mind once you get over 10x First Focal Plane is a good idea because you will find yourself backing off maximum magnification at last light with a 15x 44mm scope. That 2.9mm exit pupil is not the best in low light. Once off 15x your wind calls are no longer consistent without math.

Overall the VX5 would be a nearly perfect scope but the reality is they are not durable, mechanically sounds scopes. On top of that they cost $1k which starts getting into some serious contenders like maven rs1.2 and Nightforce SHV series which are better aiming devices that hold zero.

If you are hell bent on Leupold I’d probably get the 2.5-10x44 Mark 4HD over a VX5. It’s a better setup and flirting with durability, it’s definitely better than a VX5 at the same price point.

You could also say none of this matters because whitetail hunting usually means sub 100 yard chip shots where a 2 moa zero shift is negligible but really any $1,000 scope should hold zero.
Well now you have the wheels in my head turning so the Nightforce SHV is another scope I looked at and I don’t just use this weapon for whitetail I’m trying to get an optic for it that I can use for whitetail, I blacktail hunt out west every year, and I also hunt couse deer and muleys so my distances vary depending on game and terrain and I’m looking for a work horse that I can run in many different situations so do you like the durability of the SHV?

I had 6 of them at one point and a few VX6HDs. If you go back far enough on my post history you’ll see I defended them on this forum. Pros - the glass is phenomenal and they are awesome in low light. All of mine tracked very well. Cons - they don’t hold zero.

Over the last 4 years I have swapped out all my leupolds for Trijicon and nightforce.

OP
AlwaysChasinTailNHorns
I had 6 of them at one point and a few VX6HDs. If you go back far enough on my post history you’ll see I defended them on this forum. Pros - the glass is phenomenal and they are awesome in low light. All of mine tracked very well. Cons - they don’t hold zero.

Over the last 4 years I have swapped out all my leupolds for Trijicon and nightforce.
Yeah I appreciate the insight that seems like the route I’m going to take just doing some research on trijicon and NF now. Thanks guys!

I absolutely love my Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44. It’s on my 300 win mag. As far as it holding zero, mine did…. I even ran it over on accident. Don’t ask. Leupold has the best customer service and scopes. I didn’t like the vortex scopes but vortex also has great customer service.