Leupold Vs. Swarovski.....Yeah, another one.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
You’re absolutely correct and if that happens to my VX5, it will go down the road and I will have to make sacrifices elsewhere on a scope that I’ll likely like less. It will be a shame though because I do think it’s perfect for my needs otherwise.
I was going to get a vx5 a few years ago. I was researching and wound up here. I don't have money to burn, or the time to screw around. I eventually realized the most important thing for a scope to do is work.

I ended up with the Formidilosus special (Tikka, SWFA 6X MIL QUAD, Sportsmatch rings) and damned if it just doesn't work.

Testing the scopes as Formidilosus has been doing IS only a single sample. He also talks about his experience with the scopes before this testing started. He's just a guy on the internet as far as we know..... it's not a full data set, but it's more than we have been getting.

Some of my hunting has me climbing in and out of washes. I can't always baby my gear to a deer stand.... so far, my set up has been pretty reliable. One less thing to screw up my hunt.

First off, I’m not trying to defend any manufacturer.

You take “a small risk” with any manufacturer. Do you think if any of the “more reliable” companies sold as many scopes as Leupold or Vortex they would have more failures that we would hear about? A 2% return rate for nightforce vs 2% Leupold/vortex is a vastly different number of scopes. Consequently we will hear much more about it simply because of volume in the market.

With that being said, I REALLY wanted a mk5 for my recent build because I think glass, turrets, weight, etc they are very very hard to beat. In the end, I just couldn’t do it because of the “small risk” you talk about. I ended up going with a 5-25 Atacr.

Interestingly enough, I’ll be talking with an engineer from Leupold on Friday. Should be a fun conversation and I’m very interested in what will be said.
Really interested in what the Leupold engineer had to say as well!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
You take “a small risk” with any manufacturer. Do you think if any of the “more reliable” companies sold as many scopes as Leupold or Vortex they would have more failures that we would hear about? A 2% return rate for nightforce vs 2% Leupold/vortex is a vastly different number of scopes. Consequently we will hear much more about it simply because of volume in the market.

Well, the issue is so widespread that it’s easy to find. The “X company sells more scopes” is not a logical way to look at it and is a cop out for people/companies that don’t want to have a real look at it discussion on the matter. If I take ten each of three different manufacturers scopes and use them for 10,000 rounds each, track zero retention and function for all over the whole span and one manufacturer has zero failures, one has 3 out 10, and another has all 10 failing- do you really think there’s not a correlation between them and larger numbers?

Flyjunky

WKR
Well, the issue is so widespread that it’s easy to find. The “X company sells more scopes” is not a logical way to look at it and is a cop out for people/companies that don’t want to have a real look at it discussion on the matter. If I take ten each of three different manufacturers scopes and use them for 10,000 rounds each, track zero retention and function for all over the whole span and one manufacturer has zero failures, one has 3 out 10, and another has all 10 failing- do you really think there’s not a correlation between them and larger numbers?
I’m not saying there isn’t a correlation. I’m saying simple statistics says you will hear more bad about anything when there is more of it in the marketplace. There is a reason I said I really wanted a MK5 because it checks every single box but reliability, therefore I didn’t buy one….I know there is a correlation and “rumors” get started for a reason.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m not saying there isn’t a correlation. I’m saying simple statistics says you will hear more bad about anything when there is more of it in the marketplace. There is a reason I said I really wanted a MK5 because it checks every single box but reliability, therefore I didn’t buy one….I know there is a correlation and “rumors” get started for a reason.

Understand. I wasn’t really saying that too you, as much as addressing the thought process in total.

I don’t generally form any thoughts based on hearsay; however, when you get 15-20 people that have owned multiple scopes by the same manufacturer and all of them had to send multiple scopes back for function issues- that’s a clue.

When did these issues with Leupold start? We've got several in the family and not once have we ever sent one in for repair. Granted, all except the new VX5 are older (as in 12-15+ years) and don't see much use. They are on hunting rifles, don't get dialed, and might go years without any use. Maybe that's why they've worked for me or maybe it would need to have a major problem before I would even notice, don't know. All I know is they have worked up to this point.

SDHNTR

WKR
When did these issues with Leupold start? We've got several in the family and not once have we ever sent one in for repair. Granted, all except the new VX5 are older (as in 12-15+ years) and don't see much use. They are on hunting rifles, don't get dialed, and might go years without any use. Maybe that's why they've worked for me or maybe it would need to have a major problem before I would even notice, don't know. All I know is they have worked up to this point.
You just answered your own question.

There are two types of Leupold/Swarovski/Vortex owners. Those who have had problems, and those who have yet to have problems but eventually will. I used to own all three, and was a huge proponent who would defend them vehemently. Then I became a failure statistic with each one eventually. Do you guys honestly think that the reputation these scopes have developed is all made up? Reputations get made for a reason.

And now with multiple scope manufacturers who have earned a reputation for the exact opposite, reliability and durability, why would a guy not just buy one of those? Even if the risk is small, why not buy the one with the good reputation versus the bad? If you were hiring a new employee to do a job for your business Would you hire the one with the questionable reputation, or would you hire the one who is known to be reliable? Why is this even a debate anymore? It’s a no-brainer. Let go of the ridiculous brand loyalty and buy stuff that is known to work better. Or just wait and your scope will eventually become a statistic too.
Which brands would you suggest then?

I would much rather people ready my post and this thread get 3 replies, but people are......nevermind. I am looking for info, real world experience with those TWO scopes. Yet this is turning into another bashing and suggesting of scopes I have no interest in. WKR'ers for the win.
It never ends. Ask for a recommendation between Kifaru and EXO and you’ll get seven other packs.

Ask about Swaro Vs Zeiss and it will be Vortex and Maven.

Here’s my .02

Swaro is great. It’s what I prefer for binos, spotters, etc. But for a scope I don’t care about the absolute best glass. I’m more of an archery guy but my two rifles wear a Leupold VX5 and I am beyond satisfied with that choice.

Either would do a great job but I personally don’t think there is a benefit to spending the extra other than maybe resell value.

It never ends. Ask for a recommendation between Kifaru and EXO and you’ll get seven other packs.

Here’s my .02

Swaro is great. It’s what I prefer for binos, spotters, etc. But for a scope I don’t care about the absolute best glass. I’m more of an archery guy but my two rifles wear a Leupold VX5 and I am beyond satisfied with that choice.

Either would do a great job but I personally don’t think there is a benefit to spending the extra other than maybe resell value.
It will never be Vortex…

SDHNTR

WKR

Here’s my .02

So you ask for a recommendation between two items you are considering, yet unbeknownst to you, those two items have widespread problems. So those who are in the know recommend something else instead, something better, and you get mad? Odd.

I think a change in perspective is warranted. These are people attempting to save you heartburn later. You should be thanking them, not begrudging them.

So you ask for a recommendation between two items you are considering, yet unbeknownst to you, those two items have widespread problems. So those who are in the know recommend something else instead, something better, and you get mad? Odd.

I think a change in perspective is warranted. These are people attempting to save you heartburn later. You should be thanking them, not begrudging them.
Did I say I was mad? And when did I become the OP? Maybe reading comprehension is in order while I search out that change in perspective.