Leupold Resale

Any Leupold's range finders, optics, binos or spotting scopes hold value well? Seems their stuff seems to have pretty poor resale. Anything better than others?

TN2shot07

WKR
I’ve never had any trouble selling the vx2/vx3 stuff, I took a beating on a vx5 once. The older stuff seems to be pretty popular, especially on a set it and forget it type set up

TaperPin

WKR
Any of the gold ring binocs, gold ring spotting scopes, vx2 or 3, or fixed scopes sell for more than they should, often as much as they sold for new. Once in a while a good deal on a fixed 10x or 16x Mark 4 comes a long, but only once in a long while. :)

Any of the old scopes will pop up with turrets installed at the custom shop from time to time - those sell for a premium since so many want to dial elevation. A 1” tubed variable scope just doesn’t have all that much elevation available.

Ron.C

WKR
I sold a couple rifles over the past couple years and had surplus Leupold scopes. Both scopes (a Vx2 and Vx1) were in good repair. I asked for and got about 75% of the retail cost of a new scope. Both sold fast

OP
S
Any of the gold ring binocs, gold ring spotting scopes, vx2 or 3, or fixed scopes sell for more than they should, often as much as they sold for new. Once in a while a good deal on a fixed 10x or 16x Mark 4 comes a long, but only once in a long while. :)

Any of the old scopes will pop up with turrets installed at the custom shop from time to time - those sell for a premium since so many want to dial elevation. A 1” tubed variable scope just doesn’t have all that much elevation available.
I basically have to convert Leupold store credit into a something I can resell to get a replacement discontinued scope.

Trying to figure out what I can buy that will hold it's value on the second hand market.

TaperPin

WKR
I basically have to convert Leupold store credit into a something I can resell to get a replacement discontinued scope.

Trying to figure out what I can buy that will hold it's value on the second hand market.
Oh I see.

The BX-4 binoculars purchased 2 years ago were selling used for more than I paid. I don’t know if that will continue, and there are some deep sales on new ones in those models, but I should have bought 50 of them on sale.

It seems mid range BX-4 spotting scopes also kept value really well on eBay, but those models could get discontinued and used prices would fall.

Everyone seems excited about the 2.5x10 - since it’s relatively new the used market will be strong until it’s discontinued.

Reed104R

Lil-Rokslider
I am a pre-owned optics dealer and nothing outsells older Leupold scopes. Pre 2000 models are my best sellers. Variables sell better than fixed powers. Most of my customers want AO. Gloss models bring more than matte.

Leupold gets an unwarranted bad rap on RS. Many millions of them in use for many decades and realistically, how many have lost game animals to the supposed shifting reticle because you dropped it off a cliff or down a rock slide. Lets get real here already. Sure, they are not what a Nightforce or Swaro is, but they are priced where most can afford them, have superb optics and they don't weigh 30 ounces. I'm tired of the RS bullshit on Leupold. BTW, they happen to sell very well and very quickly here...just saying!

Leupold gets an unwarranted bad rap on RS. Many millions of them in use for many decades and realistically, how many have lost game animals to the supposed shifting reticle because you dropped it off a cliff or down a rock slide. Lets get real here already. Sure, they are not what a Nightforce or Swaro is, but they are priced where most can afford them, have superb optics and they don't weigh 30 ounces. I'm tired of the RS bullshit on Leupold. BTW, they happen to sell very well and very quickly here...just saying!
Oh man Jim Jones is going to be mad at you. You might get kicked out of the compound if you are not careful.