Leupold or Vortex rangefinder?

Flydaho

Lil-Rokslider
This last hunting season I got to use both of these rangefinders side by side: The Leupold because my wife bought me one for my birthday (damn I love her), and the vortex because my hunting partner owns one.

After using them side by side I'm very happy my wife chose the Leupold TBR w/ DNA version. If I were choosing between the standard Leupold version and the Vortex, I would choose the Vortex because i like the fit an finish a little better, plus the Vortex warrany is a huge plus. But the Leupold TBR w/DNA version beats out the Vortex on several points including: how quick it returns the range, the usable range, and the "Trig" mode.

I am a very picky shooter and I like to be accurate. The Leupold wins over the Vortex here. This is because the Leupold (TBR w/ DNA version) has a "Trigonometric" mode which displays the inclination angle along with LOS distance and Horizontal distance, the Vortex has no such mode. And since I will be using this rangefinder for sheep hunts were I may run into a situation where I need to make a shot at steep angles, it will be paramount to know the exact angle I am shooting at so I can dope my scope to get the correct POI. I don't like using the built-in "one-size-fits-most" TBR calculator that comes with the rangefinder. Its a good concept if you are looking for "close enough", but I'm looking for "dead nuts on" so I use my range charts and "Trig" mode on the rangefinder.

As far as the warranty differences go, I have heard that Leupold is very good about working with you even if the product is out of it's coverage period. Vortex's warranty is what it is, second-to-none. I am fairly careful with my optics, other gear not so much, so I don't think this will be an issue.

If I had a budget whose top-end was either the Vortex or Leupold, I would go with the Leupold TBR w/DNA version.

This last hunting season I got to use both of these rangefinders side by side: The Leupold because my wife bought me one for my birthday (damn I love her), and the vortex because my hunting partner owns one.

After using them side by side I'm very happy my wife chose the Leupold TBR w/ DNA version. If I were choosing between the standard Leupold version and the Vortex, I would choose the Vortex because i like the fit an finish a little better, plus the Vortex warrany is a huge plus. But the Leupold TBR w/DNA version beats out the Vortex on several points including: how quick it returns the range, the usable range, and the "Trig" mode.

I am a very picky shooter and I like to be accurate. The Leupold wins over the Vortex here. This is because the Leupold (TBR w/ DNA version) has a "Trigonometric" mode which displays the inclination angle along with LOS distance and Horizontal distance, the Vortex has no such mode. And since I will be using this rangefinder for sheep hunts were I may run into a situation where I need to make a shot at steep angles, it will be paramount to know the exact angle I am shooting at so I can dope my scope to get the correct POI. I don't like using the built-in "one-size-fits-most" TBR calculator that comes with the rangefinder. Its a good concept if you are looking for "close enough", but I'm looking for "dead nuts on" so I use my range charts and "Trig" mode on the rangefinder.

As far as the warranty differences go, I have heard that Leupold is very good about working with you even if the product is out of it's coverage period. Vortex's warranty is what it is, second-to-none. I am fairly careful with my optics, other gear not so much, so I don't think this will be an issue.

If I had a budget whose top-end was either the Vortex or Leupold, I would go with the Leupold TBR w/DNA version.

The vortex has the exact same thing in it. I agree the leupy is better but the vortex has the cosign in it as well.