Leupold Mark 4HD Feedback?

Jaegerr

FNG
I've been shopping for a scope to put on a new 300wm western rifle and the Leupold Mark 4HD 4.5x18x52 caught my eye as a potential option for a fairly reasonable price compared to some other options I was looking at like the NX8 or the Razor HD LHT.

Given it's a newer scope does anyone have any hands on experience with it? I realize the other scopes are more expensive options so not the most even comparison off that bat.

wapitibob

WKR
I like it better than the NX8 it replaced but I have the 25x version. I thought the Mark 4 was having a zero issue but my can ended up being the culprit. Friends have the LHT and love it.

OP
J

Jaegerr

FNG
I like it better than the NX8 it replaced but I have the 25x version. I thought the Mark 4 was having a zero issue but my can ended up being the culprit. Friends have the LHT and love it.
I have a friend with the LHT and I run vortex LPVO and like them. I'm attempting to get the best value for my dollar putting together an entire western hunting kit, it's expensive to say the least.

eric1115

WKR
It's been shown (along with the LHT) to exhibit reliability issues. I owned a LHT for a short while. It was not on a heavy use rifle, and I didn't have any problems with it, but it was nowhere near better enough optically, weight, anything else over my Bushnell LRHS (a well proven reliable scope) to replace it. It was purchased after some of the reports that it was Razor HD type reliable, but before there were many in the wild actually being put to the test.

I'd recommend for you the following (rather predictably for the regulars here):
Maven RS1.2
Trijicon Tenmile (often on sale, from EuroOptic usually)
Bushnell LRHS2 (from GA Precision)

These all offer decent to great FFP reticles (much better than the NX8), very solid mechanical reliability (tracking and zero retention), and plenty good optical quality. I would take any of these three over any of the three on your list for a general purpose field use rifle scope.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Here you go.

OP
J

Jaegerr

FNG
Here you go.

Thank you!

jhoff04

FNG
I have the LHT (3x15) and recently bought the Mark 4hd 4.5x18 PR1 MOA.

The Mark 4HD is hands down a better scope/ reticle than the LHT, IMO. It is heavier and a little more expensive but I really like the scope so far. I looked hard at the NX8's but just couldn't see myself liking their reticles for hunting.

As for durability, I just took it on it's first elk hunt and I know I doinked it on a few rocks and will report back when I have time to check zero at the range here in the next week or so.

Side note: my dad had the LHT on a suppressed .300 WM and it would not hold zero from the recoil. Ended up warrantying it and selling it to someone with a smaller caliber rifle.

Juan_ID

WKR
Here’s my first-hand experience with the 6-24 model